Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally, the PR-24 Expandable is the best. The one I use is the Monadnock Control Device 21. This sucka has swing, and is very easy to use in holds, and takedowns, yet it is just as lite as an expandable straight baton.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
My dept. just came down with an order last month that PR24's are no longer allowed. I believe the yearly certification was the reason.

Straight stick or expandable only.

Anybody want to buy a slightly used PR24?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,678 Posts
The 26" ASP or PR-24x are both convenient. The ASP has an edge in carry, and the PR-24x in power/techniques.

Either one is good to go for me. Of course it's a moot point for those poor guys in East Bridgewater
who can't have ANY Baton
:( :eek:

·
Registered
665 Posts
We were issued bathroom plungers but since the Abner Louima incident in NYC they thought it would be inappropriate to use them any more. Besides, those semi-annual inspections hurt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I prefer the PR-24 expandable baton myself, however, none of the departments I work for allow me to carry it (for now anyway). I believe the baton should be a personal choice "tool" for an officer. I understand the standardization of firearms within a dept. for obvious reasons but the baton should be one of choice.

Just my opinion.

Ed

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have carried the PR24NX and the Control Device 21 and have been trained in the ASP. If you ask any of our Def Tact instructors they will tell you the ASP is an inferior product. It is limited in what you can use if for. It's striking techniques look (in the public eye) more menacing. Once expanded it takes much more effort to close it back up. And the holster is limiting in how it can be carried. Even the Monadnock equivelant (Autolock) can be used for more than just striking and it can be closed by pushing a button and not jamming it into the ground.
If you are looking for a crowd control baton with no doubt go with any form of the PR24. If this is a personal preference question then go with the PR24. If you are feeling things out for a particular department you will probably have better luck getting "everyone" to carry an ASP or Autolock because of the size. Having an ASP is better than nothing at all. My

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally agree with the "asp" being better than nothing! I've carried both, and have had the chance to use both. Deffinately the PR24 has the power and holds ability. Top notch! Cant beat it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I say bring back the SAP. But until then I like the PR-24 expandable. Power and tork what a combo. Yearly certification is a pain but is usually done on OT.

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
THE PR24 IS A SUPERIOR SYSTEM. THE MSP RECENTLY TRAINED 1,000 IN TEN DAYS IN CROWD CONTROL. SIX, YES SIX DIFFERENT BATONS HAVE BEEN ISSUED OVER THE YEARS AND ALL SHOWED UP AT THE TRAINING. WHAT A NIGHTMARE FOR THE DT INSTRUCTORS. THE INSTRUCTORS HAD TO TAILOR THE PROGRAM TO INCORPORATE STRIKES & BLOCKS SIMILAR TO ALL. THE PR24 PROVED TO BE THE BEST AT TAKEDOWNS AND STRIKES AS WELL AS RETENTION DURING SIMULATED RIOTS. THE ASP IS INFERIOR, BUT THE SALESMAN WASN'T. THAT'S WHY WE BOUGHT THEM...IN TWO SIZES. THE IDEA WAS THAT PEOPLE WOULD CARRY THEM IF THEY WERE COMPACT ENOUGH AND NOT STORE THEM UNDER THE PASSENGER SEAT HEADREST. AT RIOT TRAINING, THE NORMAL MONADNOCK STRAIGHT BATON WAS ISSUED TO THOSE WITH ASP BATONS. THE 24" MONADNOCK PROVED A BETTER TOOL THAN THE ASP FOR THE CROWD CONTROL SITUATIONS. JUST AN ASIDE, WE RECENTLY HAD A TROOPER IN THE FIGHT OF HIS LIFE WITH A JACKED UP FELON WHO SPENT THE PREVIOUS YEAR PUMPING IRON IN JAIL. THE FIGHT TOOK PLACE IN THE COLD SWAMPS OFF RT. 495 AT THE MASS PIKE. DURING THE FIGHT, THE ASP FELL OUT OF THE CHEESEY HOLDER AND WAS GRABBED BY THE FELON WHO BEAT THE TROOPER ABOUT THE HEAD AND ARMS. LONG STORY SHORT, THE ASP SUX, THE TROOPER WON! OOO-FREAKING-RAH! RHL

·
Registered
117 Posts
What Size ASP does msp carry? Do they carry the swivel or fixed asp holder?
Why not go to th autolock it is alot better to close up then the ASP. Who wants to have to bend down and slam the baton to close it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've carried the ASP, Auto-Lock, and the PR-24X. By far the PR-24 is the most useful system out there. It is more cumbersome then the others, but with the swivel holder you can pretty much move comfortably in most any situation. In my opinion, the PR allows for much more flexibility in its use, from take downs, blocks, and the strikes are amazingly powerful.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
I personally like the PR24 but it is hard to carry. The straight ASP is very convenient for basic patrol carring on your belt. A PR24 is the perfeered baton when in situations of a unlawful/lawful assembley. My suggestion is to carry the PR24 in your cruiser for those occassions where there is a deminstration (peaceful or violent), riot or bar room brawls happen. especially cities and towns where there are colleges and universities (example Umass Amherst etc...)

·
Registered
253 Posts
as a former LAPD ofcr, we used the pr-24 and it is an effective tool, it works great for mobile field force (crowd control). we were issued the straight aluminum pr-24, we were also authorized to carry the expandable pr-24 (after proper training). the dept even went to the asp, but for sheer intimidation, the pr-24 works great.

I have a slightly used expandable monadanock with the plastic rotating holder for sale CHEAP! only hit a few citizens of Los Angeles with it!

:twisted:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
In response to the question a few posts back; the MSP issued us (the 75th RTT) 21 inch ASP batons with the cheap plastic, non-swivel holsters. If you wanted to you could request a 24 inch baton, near the end of academy, if you so desired. ASP Batons often fly out during foot pursuits and the first addition (after a second pair of handcuffs) many Troopers bought for their duty belts was a swiveling Monadnock holster (it also has an improve locking system). I threw out my piece of crap ASP for a 24 inch Monadnock Autolock baton with a "power tip". It DEFINITELY hits harder than the ASP :twisted: . I used to also carry a sap in my back pocket for those special occasions when you just need to take a perp to beavertail junction, but my sarge got on me about it and I stopped carrying it.
I agree a PR-24 is superior to the straight designs, with better striking power and more take down options. I carry a PR-24 in my cruiser for the "shit hitting the fan" occassions like bar rumbles, riots and Puerto Rican Festivals. But the PR-24, even the folding designs, are a bit more awkward to carry than the straight folding batons. In all honesty, my trusty maglight has bonked many times more heads than my baton anyways.

·
Registered
117 Posts
While we are talking about batons where does everyone carry their ASP or Autolock on their belts? (talking about right handed officers when i say this) On the left side in front of the radio for a cross draw? Or on the right side jusy behind the fire arm?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
ASP or Autolock on their belts?

Bearcat said:
While we are talking about batons where does everyone carry their ASP or Autolock on their belts? (talking about right handed officers when i say this) On the left side in front of the radio for a cross draw? Or on the right side just behind the fire arm?
Yes but with that new plastic holder for the Manadock it's a two hand job, so I can't see carrying it on the other side. That's just the backup, lumber is always with me when I step from the car. :yes:

·
Registered
253 Posts
i carry the monadanock on a cross draw, in front of my holster. the only reason being is because the rubber grip on the baton makes it extremly difficult to draw straight up from the autolock holder. just my preference, it works for me........

:twisted:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts