Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone attend this?

http://commonwealthpolice.net/sems/sheriff.html

During this one day presentation, we will cover all the major areas impacting Massachusetts Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs each and everyday. All areas of discussion will be based entirely on the Massachusetts General Laws and Massachusetts case law. Just some of the issues that will be addressed include:

the fundamental power of the Sheriff & Deputy Sheriffs under the common law of Massachusetts (also the carrying of weapons)

the authority of Deputy Sheriffs to work road details & stop MV and write CMVIs (clearly permissible here in (Massachusetts)

the legalities concerning the serving of process-what constitute notice? what type of processes can be served? civil? criminal?

effecting arrests with a warrant (criminal) & effecting arrests with a capias (civil)

jurisdictional issues (when can you have power outside your sworn territory)

the legal ramifications concerning an arrest (including the use of K-9s)

civil liability for effecting an illegal arrest

the transportation of prisoners

civil liability for effecting an illegal entry and seizure of a dwelling

what a Sheriff can do to help insulate himself/herself from civil liability

the constitutional protections which must be afforded to a person in custody

how the Massachusetts General Laws permit Sheriffs to request aid to effect arrests, etc.

the Eviction process (the presentation will include a thorough explanation of the duties and responsibilities of the Massachusetts sheriff concerning the summary eviction process)

COST: $100.00
TIMES: 9:00 to 1:00
DATE: February 7, 2004

·
Subscribing Member
4,386 Posts
Pat Rogers will make alot of money because of the CH90 connotation and the wannabe factor of deputy sherifsf. Man knows how to sale it. The only problem he forgets to add is that the RMV cannot issue books to Sheriffs because they are not allowed under Ch.90. Hmm, how interesting. But 300 knuckleheads times $100 is $30000. Not bad for half a day's work. Pat will laugh all the way to the bank, as he is having lunch with a few police Chiefs talking about it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Pat Rogers will make alot of money because of the CH90 connotation and the wannabe factor of deputy sherifsf. Man knows how to sale it. The only problem he forgets to add is that the RMV cannot issue books to Sheriffs because they are not allowed under Ch.90. Hmm, how interesting. But 300 knuckleheads times $100 is $30000. Not bad for half a day's work. Pat will laugh all the way to the bank, as he is having lunch with a few police Chiefs talking about it.
You should probably attend this class. You obviously have a lot to learn.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Otto @ 26 Nov 2004 09:09 said:
:L:
Otto, I think we could all spend $100 on better things. Pat Rogers makes beaucoup $$$$ and ask yourself why he always has the little disclaimer about Department Policy and case law? Because he has no delusions of grandeur and realizes he's just an attormey, not the SJC.
:-k

·
Registered
400 Posts
Otto @ 26 Nov 2004 09:09 said:
:L:
Otto, I think we could all spend $100 on better things. Pat Rogers makes beaucoup $$$$ and ask yourself why he always has the little disclaimer about Department Policy and case law? Because he has no delusions of grandeur and realizes he's just an attormey, not the SJC.

Are you saying that because he is not the SJC there is nothing to learn from him? So I should not trust anything he says or publishes? Have you ever wasted your time on his material?

·
Registered
142 Posts
"common law" is out dated. In todays world it is only fully trained and experienced police officers that should enforce the law. I would give the current county sheriff no bigger break than anyone else gets. Personally, i think only full time correction officers with a year of direct inmate contact, police and military veterans should be appointed as deputies. It's time for the politics to be taken out of deputy positions. The typical part time deputy sheriff seems to have done nothing more than hold a campaign sign and then go to an anemic part time academy to get his position. In this state, part time deputies primarilly only direct traffic at construction sites. A true suck up position. If they want any semblance of respect, an unbiased test , which does not include the ability to hold a campaign sign, should be mandated. Until then, they should be required to work inside the jail for 1 year assisting the correction officers.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started this thread to find out if any deputy sheriffs had attended his course and what they thought about it not to flame the fire of the deputy sheriff/muni cop debate. That's why I posted it on the Sheriffs section of the board not the Hot Topics.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It seems that any mention of the "S" word on this forum automatically triggers a sheriff/deputy sheriff bashing fest. For some reason I actually thought that you posting it under this topic would avoid a repeat, but unfortunately not.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Otto @ 28 Nov 2004 15:34 said:
[Because he has no delusions of grandeur and realizes he's just an attormey, not the SJC.

Are you saying that because he is not the SJC there is nothing to learn from him? So I should not trust anything he says or publishes? Have you ever wasted your time on his material?
[/quote]

No........................
I'm saying he's one smart attorney who makes good $$$, and that he is only ONE man interpreting laws. He is not 100% absolute. Thats what I mean. And yes I use his materials, but I also use others and read case law etc.
:wink:

G

·
Hey Otto,

You should stick your arse into J809's rotors..........you could use a lobotomy. Hee Hee.
Seriously though, have fun studying for April's test. Hope you get 100 pal!
:rd:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Really? Then how did Counties get theres? Many counties have issued cites, Worcester issued several hundred last year.. we're not just talking about 1 or 2 books, we're talking about a couple of cases/boxes of books.

·
Subscribing Member
4,386 Posts
I don't know, but it is easy quite easy to find out if SOMEONE really wanted. But they are on DO NOT issue list. The following are the only ones getting it. And please do not interpret it as the RMV will only issue to the following

""Police officer'', any officer, other than an investigator or examiner of the transportation division of the department of telecommunications and energy, authorized to make arrest or serve criminal process, any person appointed by the registrar under section twenty-nine of chapter ninety, any person appointed by the trustees of the University of Massachusetts under section thirty-two A of chapter seventy-five, any person appointed by the trustees of Southeastern Massachusetts university under section seventeen of chapter seventy-five B and any person appointed by the colonel of state police under section fifty-nine of chapter twenty-two C.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
J809,

You mention a "Do Not Issue" list. Do you have a copy of that list so we can all see it? or can you tell me a specific place or person who I can get it from, so I can post it here?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hummmm, I've seen sheriffs with cite books and i've seen sheriffs issue cites to motorists just west of worcester. As a matter of fack a certain friend of mine who is a dep sheriff has two M series books on the dash of his vic as we speak.........

·
Registered
105 Posts
I work for the sheriffs office and I have chapter 90. Issued by RMV. There is case law that states "for the purpose of Chapter 90 a Deputy Sheriff is a police officer" If you went through my officer copies you will find only criminal complaints or arrest checked off. I in no way wish to work traffic or take on the roll of our local police. If it is a violation that threatens public safety the operator will be stopped and the situation addressed.

Posted Fri Dec 03, 15:45:

If you work for an agency that has the authority to stop a vehicle but are unable to obtain a book of citations, you have another recorce available to you. Go to the Mass RMV web site, click on miscellaneous forms, click on driving complaint form. This form is used to file a complaint with the RMV pertaining to the improper operation of a motor vehicle. Now you are not powerless and many times the RMV takes violations much more serious than some courts. I would not imagine they want to see these used as speeding tickits but if it was a threat to public safety or your a college with the local yahoo s#@%@ on your boots this may be an option for you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Sheriff of a county cannot issue ticket books. If a local Chief decides to issue a ticket book, said book can only be used in that jurisdiction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Thumper,

You must be in the Christmas spirit what a nice and friendly reply. I am proud of you.
Maybe sometime when we are having that surf and turf we can think back to the time you were nice to the DeputySheriffs.

Mery Christmas Thumper.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i fail to understand why a deputy even feels the desire to enforce traffic laws... if the mv offense does not happen on jail property it is NOT your problem or responsibility. PERIOD.
simply report the offense to the local or state police. deputies are not expected or asked to enforce traffic regulations. why not simply do the job you were hired to do and be happy with that ???? no knock intended on non politically connected deputies, but you are NOT police officers. police do 9-1-1 calls and traffic enforcement in Massachusetts - you were not hired or trained to do either... i respect full time deputies and c.o's that earned their jobs without holding political signs - but simply do your own job.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I started this topic to find out about that class. I titled the topic Powers of Sheriffs/Deputy Sheriffs because that was what the course was titled. I did not want this to degrade to the who is really law enforcement crap again. Someone please close this thread before the fur flys again.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.