Post 911 GI Bill for self sponsorship | MassCops

Post 911 GI Bill for self sponsorship

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Javert, May 22, 2015.

  1. Javert

    Javert MassCops Member

    Hello and thanks for taking a look.

    -If able to get sponsorship, would I have to put up 3K and THEN be re paid by the VA or could the academy hold my check until they are paid by the VA? Any one who has used the P911 GIB for self sponsorship or anyone with info please PM me. Thanks
  2. Javert

    Javert MassCops Member

    Thank you. I do believe that we get BAH while attending so that should help.
  3. felony

    felony MassCops Member

    Email the MPTC academy you plan on attending and advise them of what your trying to do. They can provide the proper paperwork in order for you to get paid.
  4. USAF286

    USAF286 MassCops Member

    I was not a self sponsor, but myself and a lot of others did receive supplemental income from the VA while we were in the academy using our Post 9/11 GI Bill. The amount was determined based on the % of your benefit rate (the more active duty time the better) I had four years active duty and I was given 100%. You have to obtain a "Certificate of Eligibilty" through the VA website in order to begin the process of applying for a school (or having them pay for an academy) I'm not sure what the form was called, but like felony said, contact the academy and see if you can start the process. You and I both know how efficient the VA is so the sooner the better.. Good luck!
  5. Fuzzywuzzy

    Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

    This is for Pennsylvania: Not only is self-sponsored tution GI Bill approved but we have taken it a step futher. If you are former "military police" the bulk of training can be waived and you only have to take 2-3 weeks of academy training in PA laws, Vehicle Code, etc. instead of 6 months full academy.
    For the Air Force: Must have had the AFSC prefix 3P or 7S
    For the Army: MOS of 31B or 31D
    For the Navy: A Master at Arms Rating
    For the Marine Corps: MOS of 5800 or 5821
    For the Coast Guard: Former CGIS
    The theory is you already know how to be a cop, you just need to learn to be a PA cop. The regulating agency here is the MPOETC.
  6. Fuzzywuzzy

    Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

Share This Page