Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been interviewing with MassArt PD and it seems as if they are going to offer me a position after speaking with the Chief. I'm very thankful and eager to start working, and I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Thanks!

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Unless you have a piece of paper or phone call offering you the job.. dont count your chickens.. If you get on congrats

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Good Luck my friend / but maybe you should look over the worst colleges to work for topic before you take the job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buddy-You must me young, nieve, or crazy, misinformed if you are thinking about taking that job. That place is the biggest #*&%hole on the planet. They have recently had a mass exodus of Police Officers, that leave for various reasons. (Mostly related to the people who run the department, i.e. Chief, 2nd shift Lt. etc.) They are notorious for ruining careers, so if you interested in changing careers, than you should accept the job. If you have any interest in furthering your career in Law Enforcement, than I warn you. STAY AWAY!! IF you have any questions, I am assuming xracerx, fscpd907, or artcop, will be more than happy to enlighten you. Either PM me, or the others. Good luck!! :!: :!: :!:

G

·
I have heard my share of stories about the MassArt security department. I have reliable sources that the following are all true:
1. There is only one campus police officer left, because the rest have vacated due to the lack of organization, resources, EQUIPMENT, and respect for themselves.
2. Police have to make coffee for the kids all the time.
3. There hasn't been an arrest in almost three years. (They hide everything.)
4. They have to drive the administration everywhere, like a taxi service.
5. They have equipment that is quite possibly from the 1970's.
6. They have an unsecure office, where any one can freely walkthrough at any time, (including all those nice people from Mission Hill, etc...)
7. The chief will give you what he pleases for a uniform, and refuses to give an allowance, as the union contract states.
8. Once you do something the rank doesn't like, you are done forever. (As vindictive as they come.)

Good luck with your decision making.

Chuck-#412

·
Registered
14 Posts
i inteviewed there once, boy am i glad i didnt get the job. u work in an area that isnt the safest, unarmed bc the president doesnt want the students feel that are in an unsafe environment bc they see the police officers carrying firearms. as u can see by this im sure the administration can give a rat ass about your safety when u are the one that has to face the risks that go with the job especially in the area u are in day to day, just as long as the students dont feel unsafe thats OKAY. maybe u should take the high turn over factor in consideration before taking on such a low paying and llittle respect job such as this. well goodluck to ya if u choose such a job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then,

I guess I will have to see for myself. The uniforms I observed were normal police issue, and the duty belts had everything required (accept gun :( ) Like I said before, I just want to get my foot in the door and I will be thankful for even getting a job. Also, apparently a new cruiser is on the way (hopefully true).

Posted Sat 26 Jun, 2004 18:23:

i inteviewed there once, boy am i glad i didnt get the job. u work in an area that isnt the safest, unarmed bc the president doesnt want the students feel that are in an unsafe environment bc they see the police officers carrying firearms. as u can see by this im sure the administration can give a rat ass about your safety when u are the one that has to face the risks that go with the job especially in the area u are in day to day, just as long as the students dont feel unsafe thats OKAY. maybe u should take the high turn over factor in consideration before taking on such a low paying and llittle respect job such as this. well goodluck to ya if u choose such a job.
Well the pay is the same as all other capmus PD's $563.11 weekly to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you think you’re lucky, you’re out of your f---ing tree. As you have read before, this place (MassArt) is a great place to screw your career over before it starts. The chief is an idiot. The only reason why he got the job is because he’s an alumnus of the college, when your chief asks you a P.O. a basic L.E. questions this is not good. He won’t offer any training to you what so ever or unless you take it on your own time and pay for it, too. He’s super tight with the budget trying to prove to the higher ups that he can safe money but having his officers work with the worst equipment imaginable. Don’t even think your going to get a bullet resistant vest because they won’t do it. If you cross him he will make it very difficult for you to move on in your career.
Now on the 1500-2300 the lieutenant is an ignorant man who should have never been given the job. He too will work your nerves to the last end, he likes to make up a lots of paper work for no reason. He keeps tabs and a written private record of all conversations that take place when talking to officers just to use it against you later. He likes to he himself talk and yes on a soapbox, he also likes to get the last word in a conversation even if it doesn’t make sense. He’s a lazy man who will have you do everything for him. He likes to screw people over and rather easily, too. This f---head was fired from BC as a Sgt. went into the private sector of security, then got on as the chief of Rhode Island School of Design and got fired from that, too. This man has been looked at by many schools and got turned down but those in the higher offices were fooled and figured it out to late to get rid of him.
I’ve had a few problems with students and staff there and the union will barely back you at all. I went for awhile not knowing if my career was over because of some dumb F---ing kid lying because I caught him doing wrong. No backing from the chief or the union (GO MCLEA). It came down to my partner and the truth of other witnesses to verify my story. When I did come back I gave the chief and the brass an ear full. They weren’t happy with it but they knew it was the truth.
The only descent guys there are the overnight officer and the day shift lieutenant. Some of the security officers are great. Others security officers really suck and will stab you in the back and twist the knife as soon as you turn your back.
Kid if you were real smart you better school yourself real quick with this place and not take the job. Go to the local colleges and ask around about MassArt. It is not what you think it is, believe me I know because I thought the same thing when I started there. Yes and thank GOD I got out and to a great place to work at. I can’t tell you enough about the place, hell I’ve scared guys smart to get the hell out of there on the first day because the place is so screwed up. Call around buddy I’m telling you call around. Do yourself a favor request a talk with some of the prior officers of that campus via MassCops we’ll have your head spinning so quick you’ll be running scared from the place and thanking us the for doing so. The only people I want working there would be my worst enemies and even for them I’d pray.
Kid I know it sounds like I’m anger with the place and I maybe rightfully so, but it is not a place to be thankful about. If you want PM me, ArtCop, SimmSgt, FSCpd907, or LtCharles we could tell you a lot about the place and it’s not good.
Forget about the cruiser they’ve talking about that for two years now

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow that place sounds pretty bad according to XRACERX, but like he said RECOP look around and ask around. Make sure you find out the facts from multiple sources because I have seen people who wanted to be LE Officers all their life and get screwed :hump: because they pissed someone off at the start of their career. Remember a good part or should I say (bad part) of this job is about politics and labeled any where for any reason will screw you in the long run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
kmf294, MARINECOP-

Neither of you could have hit the nail on the head any harder. I have been trying to dig myself out of this hole since day one, but the Chief, and 2nd shift Lt. have stabbed me in the back more than once, during background investigations. Sometimes I fear that they have already ruined the career I have yet to start. It is pretty sad, when I think that this nightmare has to end sooner than later, whether it be me going on to a better place, or flipping burgers a McD's. I appreciate all who have contributed to this forum. They have said many things that I can't. :2up: :up_yours:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Ah yes! it's sad,

But we know one person who did well at MassArt.....................................
Earwax Eric! he got to go to Plymouth MPOC! Imagine that? Hey, how DID he do that?
:L:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow guys,

I'm speechless. I'm not so much worried about them screwing my career before I start, since P.O's are in my family and will help me get on when the time comes. I will take what you all said to heart and do some investigating into it before/if I get on. Thanks for the heads up, and now I have alot of questions to ask.....

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
mpd61...........Eric got to go to the MPOC because he NEVER allowed his cape to get wrinkled while on the job!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Listen boss-

If you have family members that are on the job, I would think that they could help you with the investigations of that major league sh%%t hole called ass & farts I mean Mass Art. You will not, I repeat will not get any experience as a police officer. They don't do any police work. One time I ran a warrant on someone and it came back as a felony hit. The chief or directoror or what ever he is masquerading as these days was right there when I ran him and he and his 1st and 2nd shift lieutenants did nothing, zilch, nada. They kicked the guy lose. Right then and there I knew I had to get out of that dump. I spent several months there and it was the worse job I ever had, I repeat the worse job I ever had.

The administration lies and does not care about you. Bud, it's a mickey mouse operation. The only person missing from the place is Walt Disney. And even if he was alive I would advise him not to take this job. You claimed that the uniforms were o.k or standard police uniforms. Well pal that's where it ends and thats as close as policing you will get. They do not even have a report writing system. There are nothing but a bunch of derelicts who can't speak english working as building guards. You will be the only cop working on shift. You have no gun, no real field training program, no back up and no protection.

If you get hurt or screw up on the job they will not, I repeat will not take care of you. Word of advice. Look into B.U. or Northeastern they have what you are looking for. Hell even Wentworth is a very good place to work. If you take this job you will be stressed, miserable and pissed off for not listening to the gang. Most of who responded to you used to work there, myself included. Good luck on whatever you decide to do, remember you want a good head start, you do not want to be playing catch up from the get go. :!: :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
11 Posts
SimmSarge is right and about your family having L.E. pull. I tell you what, why don’t you use that pull to get you in somewhere else. I got L.E. pull and it didn’t help me with AssFart. If you want to sit there and kid yourself go ahead but your going to be sorry in the end. You need to hear the advice being given to you. You didn’t write your first comment asking advice like many others have done before, but we who know and have worked there are advising you different. Yet you still don’t take it, the only way that department will help you is if your going into a civil-service department later. Are you on a list (and Where), a Permanent Intermittent Officer, full-time academy, and what are you chances getting on somewhere full time???? The school will not sponsor you through an academy because every time they do they loose that person very soon after. If you take the job we’ll see you back on here about a month or two later crying about how the place sucks and how this was the worst move you could have ever taken. If you already have a better paying job stay with it and keep trying. Use the advice you have been given now for future interviews stating during the interview “I was offered the job but several people in the L.E. community advise me against this department”. This will show that you’re not a push over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I am on the Civil Service list and I'm going to be put on as a reserve shortly (been to the reserve/intermittent academy plus have 3 years of education behind me). I'm planning on getting on a Civil Service dept. at SOME point. I would be making more at MassArt believe it or not than I'm making right now. I'm taking the advise you all have given me seriously and thinking this one through. Thanks again everyone for the advise/insight, good to know you are watching out for a brother and I hope I can help out too someday.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
-You WILL be required to make coffee and pancakes.
-You WILL be required to perform taxi duties for faculty/staff.
-You WILL be required to perform your duties with equipment that does not work.
-You WILL be required to hand out sports equipment for use in the gym.
-You WILL be required to use hand written logs & no computer aided report forms.
-You WILL be required to hide any criminal investigations discovered during your shift.
-You WILL be required to drive a marked cruiser in Mission Hill with NO GUN.

The department will not help with any post employment background checks and will not back up any "Police" actions taken by their Officers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.