The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) is currently accepting bids/applications for the position of Port Officer Trainee (Bargaining Unit, Local Union No. 170) in the Maritime department. The Port Officer Trainee performs security work in connection with all assigned MPA operated facilities. Patrols assigned area to prevent crime and ensure safety of Massport facilities and works at assigned Massport facilities.
Essential Tasks of the Job:
Protects life and prevents crimes against property.
1. Enforces Massport's policies on the use of Port property.
2. Challenges suspicious persons; removes unauthorized or unruly persons from
3. Reports hazards.
4. Writes and files daily activity report with superior officer.
Monitors all persons and vehicles entering and leaving all assigned Massport property.
1. Stops all private vehicles at the gate house, verifies each person's identity, completes log-in procedures, and follows specific facility control procedures during all hours.
2. Closes and locks all gates, verifies each persons identity, confirms each person's
compliance with entrance criteria, and completes log-in procedures after normal
Prepares daily logs.
1. Documents and verifies information according to Massport and departmental policies and procedures in the log book, the vehicle and equipment check list, the hourly log, the vehicle control sheet, and any other reports, documents and paperwork as required.
2. Completes, as necessary, all relevant information in manual logs on above information.
Makes rounds on foot, bike and/or in patrol/Massport vehicle on an hourly basis and registers at monitoring devices.
1. Checks all gates and doors.
2. Checks perimeter fencing.
3. Monitors vessel docks and checks all berth areas and vessels at berth.
4. Tickets all illegally parked cars.
SECONDARY JOB TASKS:
Will safeguard all Sensitive Security Information (SSI) in accordance with 49 CFR Parts 15 and 1520 and supporting Massport policies and procedures.
Performs other tasks as necessary and as requested.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
EDUCATION LEVEL: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE IN FIELD/RELATED FIELD: Must have 1-3 year's security experience required.
1. Valid and current driver's license unrestricted except for corrective lenses and
2. Ability to become a special state police officer of the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts as required by the Massachusetts State Police Certification Unit.
3. Ability to attend and successfully complete the firearms training program.
4. Ability to obtain a Massachusetts License to carry a firearm.
5. Ability to qualify with firearm annually.
6. Ability to become 1st responder qualified.
7. Ability to obtain a CPR certificate and qualify annually.
8. Ability to work at all assigned Massport properties.
9. Knowledge of basic computer skills required.
10. Police Academy Certification required.
11. Ability to pass a Massport pre-placement physical and personality assessment, controlled substance screening, and background and security checks.
Environmental Parameters: Ability to work at any Massachusetts Port Authority property in all weather conditions (hot, cold, humid, dry, wet); in all types of terrain (fields, near water, on busy roads, at high altitudes); in an environment with conditions that may include: fumes, odors, gases, chemicals, and dust; and in conditions that may include: a proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical shock, exposure to wires, and chemical agents.
Strength: Ability to lift up to 200 lbs. (approximately); exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 lbs. of force frequently.
Type: Demonstrate clarity of vision beyond 20 ft., and at 20 inches or less, and three dimensional vision; express or exchange ideas by means of spoken word; perceive the nature of sounds; judge distance and space relationships; stand, walk, and bend over/into cars to check for appropriate identification; perceive attributes of objects such as size, shape, temperature, or texture; work in conditions in which there is danger of injury and mental stress; and respond to all types of emergencies, and distressing conditions.
WORK SCHEDULE: Ability to work any shift as assigned, including weekends and holidays for a 40-hour work week, and must have the ability to work overtime as assigned, including weekends and holidays.
EQUIPMENT USED: Security equipment, computer, handgun, OC foam, OC Spray, baton, handcuffs, 2 way radio, telephone, binoculars, optical scanners, camera, electronic equipment, tape recorder, typewriter, charts, diagrams, federal and state statute books, reference books, patrol vehicle, axe, chisel, flashlight, crowbar, alarms, call box, hydrant, radio, respirator, caution sign, ladder, map, protective clothing, automatic heart defibrillator, and other Massport equipment.