Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have any information on Polygraph Testing? Or has anyone taken a Polygraph for a LE job?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
I took one for VASP and it was a fairly simple process. It all depends on the type of person you have conducting the test. The guy I had was decent and just asked the questions and marked on the sheet. I have heard that other examiners will question your answers over and over again like "Are you sure that is the correct answer" or "I don't think you are telling me the whole story" anybody that has to sit through an exam with a guy second guessing your every answer is going to feel uncomfortable.

One thing that I did think was odd with my exam is that I was instructed that if I could not remember the specific date and time of a particular question to answer no.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've taken it twice . . . both times out of state for a LE job. Passed both times. Its not difficult . . . they tell you ahead of time what the questions will be. They give you every chance in the world to come clean prior to taking it. As long as you are honest with them ahead of time you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As everyone has said, the tester will give you the questions and a chance to explain your answers ahead of time, but just be aware that the tester may ask some pretty 'off the wall' questions. I was 19 years old when I took a polygraph test for a NH department and I will admit that a couple of the questions were really shocking.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Question: "Have you ever masturbated in front of a mirror" He had to tell me to stop laughing :wow:

·
Registered
88 Posts
...and you thought nobody saw you!

lol

I've taken a few. One was a breeze, the other was a grill session. Depends where you go and who gives it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TEST IS EASY AS LONG AS YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE!!!!!!!! I TOOK THE TEST 2 TIMES BOTH FOR FEDERAL LAW POSITIONS AND IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a polygraph coming up for the DEA, anyone know about how long these things take? I've heard rumors of a 3 hour grill session

·
Registered
109 Posts
i took one for a le job out of state. i had a 3 hr grill session and was allowed to use the bathroom. i was then hooked up to the CHAIR and run through the questions that they chose. the last part was an hour long. i think it was like 10 questions ..." other than what we have discussed have you ever..."

on another note i observed that a job in rhode island was posted in here that mentioned a requirement of a polygraph. there are no polygraphs allowed in mass or ri.

Statutory Provisions
Employers may not "require or subject" applicants and employees to polygraph examinations. RI Gen. Laws § 28.6.1-1 (1979).

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
ntvs said:
on another note i observed that a job in rhode island was posted in here that mentioned a requirement of a polygraph. there are no polygraphs allowed in mass or ri.
I noticed the same thing when I posted the job here, not a bad bluff though.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
I had an interview with a NH police dept that asked me if I ever had sex with dogs cats mice, sheep, cows, pigs or horses or any other barn kinda animals. I nearly fell off my seat. I said to the interviewer why is this a problem up here in the NH Police Departments. I dont think he like the response oh well F him.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I posted the job here, not a bad bluff though.[/quote]

i figured you noticed :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
oppinions please.....

is this test fool proof? I have to go for one coming up and im worried as shit!

If its not fool proof, does anyone have ANY good pointers?

and please dont answer "be honest" because I plan to

·
Registered
126 Posts
Union1,

I've taken it twice out of state and passed both times . . . other than "being honest", the only advice I have is to stick to your answers no matter what. In one of the tests I took, the examiner messed with me big time at the end of it, trying to make me think that I was being dishonest and that I had failed the test. I left the site thinking I had failed but found out later I passed. Best of luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Could someone maybe post the typical methodology/procedures for the tests? I'm curious to know how the test is set up and conducted. Does this vary by location? Are there standards for administration?

Thanks,
Eric

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.