Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
Neither my anus nor my lungs will ever dictate whether i'm being genuine.
Therefore, it's usefulness shall remain with the psychopaths on daytime talk shows.

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
here's my comment, off the record, the job holders never make up the rules and qualifications for the jobs they hold, so why would it matter what their opinions are?
Great point.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Personally, I don't think the polygraph should be used for any employment to include police officers. It's too unreliable for me, I have an issue with the current case law that allows it's use in IA investigations (see case law below). As you may know us and Maryland are the only two states that I know of who prent the use in hiring, though I'm not sure if Maryland has a provision for cops.

I really don't have much more to give you for an opinion other than I have issues with accuracy and validity. Other than that, here's some info that should help if you didn't have it already.

MA Statutory foundation:
M.G.L. - Chapter 149, Section 19b

If you weren't aware already there is some relativly new case law on this very topic as it applies to police officers AFTER they've been hired during internal investigations:

FURTADO vs. TOWN OF PLYMOUTH & others. 451 Mass. 539 (2008)
http://www.masscops.com/forums/asso...polygraph-during-internal-investigations.html

Good luck.
I agree, they are to unreliable. there is no universal standards of training or state or federal certification. Also it is the interpretation of the results are in completely up to the person administering the test. Lots of room for personal feelings that could effect the interpretation of ones results

·
Registered
843 Posts
The poly is pseudoscience. Its an interrogation tool used in conjunction with a background investigation. Some agencies use a VSA which supposedly has better results.

The poly is nothing more then a tool that doesn't yield accurate results. It depends on your examiner and how they interpret the results of your test. Which again is up in the air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
for the record its an english paper and my teacher says this is good use of a forum... why the negative feedback??? is this a sensitive topic on here???

·
5,985 Posts
for the record its an english paper and my teacher says this is good use of a forum... why the negative feedback??? is this a sensitive topic on here???
You sound more like a sociology major than a CJ major. This must be for professor Neikirk, He hates law enforcement.

I think alot of the people here are a little Leary of polygraphs because the State won't allow them in criminal proceedings because they've been proven to be unreliable. It would be wrong to think that allowing them in pre-employment would make them legitimate all of a sudden.

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
Like NiteOwl says....

If the courts say it's not reliable then it AINT reliable.

NEXT...........

·
Registered
10,719 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
im against the polygraph test actually, sorry if i sounded like i was for it. and nightowl1970, im a cj major and ill be declaring a minor in sociology next year. close guess!!! lol.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I am all for the polygraph as a part of the background process. It's another tool to weed out candidates that may have lied about past drug use etc........ I take pride in being a Cop and really don't want to be working alongside those who snorted lines in college, lied to a background investigator, and got hired as a Cop. I am not confirming or denying that I have witnessed this, but am just saying........

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
Future uncertain for Springfield police officer Leonardo Matos, acquitted of larceny charges

Police Commissioner William J. Fitchet ordered that Matos, an eight-year veteran, cannot return to duty until he takes a lie detector test about his part in a June 2008 traffic stop that led to the indictment and prosecution for larceny of Matos and his partner at the time.
Future uncertain for Springfield police officer Leonardo Matos, acquitted of larceny charges | Breaking News - MassLive.com -

Well, it appears that someone else either believes in the validity of the polygraph or he just doesn't want this guy back.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
As you may know us and Maryland are the only two states that I know of who prent the use in hiring, though I'm not sure if Maryland has a provision for cops.
MD poly's its police applicants.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts