Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Im new to the forum and am a criminal justice student at Westfield State College. I am doing a research project on the polygraph test. I know that Connecticut officers have to take a polygraph during the pre-employment process. my question to you guys is do you think Mass. officers should be required to take a polygraph during the pre-employment process? I would like to use some of your statements in my paper if that is ok with you, I will cite you're user name.

·
#FYPM
1,627 Posts
Hi everyone! Im new to the forum and am a criminal justice student at Westfield State College. I am doing a research project on the polygraph test. I know that Connecticut officers have to take a polygraph during the pre-employment process. my question to you guys is do you think Mass. officers should be required to take a polygraph during the pre-employment process? I would like to use some of your statements in my paper if that is ok with you, I will cite you're user name.
No Comment!!
Note: All views are the property of the author and do not reflect the views of the website. Rebroadcast, reproduction or use is prohibited without expressed written permission. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I should put you on the polygraph because I doubt you're telling the whole truth here. And you can put this statement in your paper.

·
Had enough
3,270 Posts
My answer is: See Eagle13's post above.

·
5,985 Posts
I'm an alumni of Westfield State '93. And you disappoint me son. I know Dr. White is teaching you kids better than that.

Now run along to thirsty Thursday and drink Natty Ice out of a red cup like college kids do.

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
Only if deposed under oath will I comment.:jestera::jestera: You can use my Jesters in your paper though.

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
Personally, I don't think the polygraph should be used for any employment to include police officers. It's too unreliable for me, I have an issue with the current case law that allows it's use in IA investigations (see case law below). As you may know us and Maryland are the only two states that I know of who prent the use in hiring, though I'm not sure if Maryland has a provision for cops.

I really don't have much more to give you for an opinion other than I have issues with accuracy and validity. Other than that, here's some info that should help if you didn't have it already.

MA Statutory foundation:
M.G.L. - Chapter 149, Section 19b

...(2) It shall be unlawful for any employer or his agent, with respect to any of his employees, or any person applying to him for employment, including any person applying for employment as a police officer, to subject such person to, or request such person to take a lie detector test within or without the commonwealth, or to discharge, not hire, demote or otherwise discriminate against such person for the assertion of rights arising hereunder. This section shall not apply to lie detector tests administered by law enforcement agencies as may be otherwise permitted in criminal investigations...
If you weren't aware already there is some relativly new case law on this very topic as it applies to police officers AFTER they've been hired during internal investigations:

FURTADO vs. TOWN OF PLYMOUTH & others. 451 Mass. 539 (2008)
http://www.masscops.com/forums/asso...polygraph-during-internal-investigations.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
here's my comment, off the record, the job holders never make up the rules and qualifications for the jobs they hold, so why would it matter what their opinions are?

if you want an on the record comment, i take my coffee XX and my screename is Jedediah1 son

·
Super Moderator
6,581 Posts
Took one, neither impressed, nor sold on the validity/usefullness.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts