Polygraph in MA. | MassCops

Polygraph in MA.

Discussion in 'Ask A Cop' started by westfieldfrench2013, Nov 12, 2009.

1. westfieldfrench2013

westfieldfrench2013 New Member

Hi everyone! Im new to the forum and am a criminal justice student at Westfield State College. I am doing a research project on the polygraph test. I know that Connecticut officers have to take a polygraph during the pre-employment process. my question to you guys is do you think Mass. officers should be required to take a polygraph during the pre-employment process? I would like to use some of your statements in my paper if that is ok with you, I will cite you're user name.

2. Unit23

Unit23 MassCops Member

Good luck with that.

3. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

No Comment!!
    Note: All views are the property of the author and do not reflect the views of the website. Rebroadcast, reproduction or use is prohibited without expressed written permission. Have a nice day.

4. 263FPD

263FPD Well-Known Member

5. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

You're a day late, Rookie would have chimed right up. Maybe Adrian can pick it up.

6. cc3915

cc3915 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I should put you on the polygraph because I doubt you're telling the whole truth here. And you can put this statement in your paper.

7. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

8. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

My answer is: See Eagle13's post above.

9. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

10. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I'm an alumni of Westfield State '93. And you disappoint me son. I know Dr. White is teaching you kids better than that.

[​IMG]

Now run along to thirsty Thursday and drink Natty Ice out of a red cup like college kids do.

11. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Only if deposed under oath will I comment.:jestera::jestera: You can use my Jesters in your paper though.

12. Boston17526

Boston17526 MassCops Member

aren't forum opinions considered "non-credible" in research papers?

13. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Well we're talking state college here...:rolleyes:

14. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

If you do a search for polygraph, you will find that this has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.

15. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

"I cannot confirm nor deny how I think I might feel about the polygraph test." (new guy, 2009)

16. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

Come on now guys!!, the Polygraph eliminated all 12 suspects in the Molly Bish to just 11.

17. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Personally, I don't think the polygraph should be used for any employment to include police officers. It's too unreliable for me, I have an issue with the current case law that allows it's use in IA investigations (see case law below). As you may know us and Maryland are the only two states that I know of who prent the use in hiring, though I'm not sure if Maryland has a provision for cops.

I really don't have much more to give you for an opinion other than I have issues with accuracy and validity. Other than that, here's some info that should help if you didn't have it already.

MA Statutory foundation:
    M.G.L. - Chapter 149, Section 19b

If you weren't aware already there is some relativly new case law on this very topic as it applies to police officers AFTER they've been hired during internal investigations:

FURTADO vs. TOWN OF PLYMOUTH & others. 451 Mass. 539 (2008)
    https://www.masscops.com/forums/asso...polygraph-during-internal-investigations.html

Good luck.

18. vttroopah

vttroopah dirtbaggumus maximus

Polygraphs are SOP here in VT.... want a comment? Ask me in person.

19. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

here's my comment, off the record, the job holders never make up the rules and qualifications for the jobs they hold, so why would it matter what their opinions are?

if you want an on the record comment, i take my coffee XX and my screename is Jedediah1 son

20. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Took one, neither impressed, nor sold on the validity/usefullness.

21. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Neither my anus nor my lungs will ever dictate whether i'm being genuine.
    Therefore, it's usefulness shall remain with the psychopaths on daytime talk shows.

22. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Great point.

23. EOD1

EOD1 Subscribing Member

I agree, they are to unreliable. there is no universal standards of training or state or federal certification. Also it is the interpretation of the results are in completely up to the person administering the test. Lots of room for personal feelings that could effect the interpretation of ones results

24. HELPMe

HELPMe New Member

The poly is pseudoscience. Its an interrogation tool used in conjunction with a background investigation. Some agencies use a VSA which supposedly has better results.

The poly is nothing more then a tool that doesn't yield accurate results. It depends on your examiner and how they interpret the results of your test. Which again is up in the air.

25. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

My rate is $250.00 per hour for the interview. No freebies