Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Private Sector Union Poll

• My department is non-union.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • My department is union, but we're not very happy.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • My department is union, and we are very happy.

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • I don't think police officers should be in a union.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would consider joining NECOPS.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • It must be very difficult to form a union.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If we try to form a union, we'll probably get fired.

Votes: 3 7.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might be sick of seeing my posts regarding NECOPS but believe me, I'm just trying to make sure private sector law enforcement officers get the protection and representation we deserve. We are well on our way to becoming the only choice for private sector law enforcement in New England! Right now I'm breathing, eating and sleeping NECOPS and I'm very curious about the "state of the union" in the private sector.

I would really appreciate if you guys could just take a couple of seconds to answer the poll questions. This is a multiple choice poll, so please check all that apply. Any comments regarding which departments are union and non-union would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering, if you are receiving any compensation for getting Campus Police Departments to sign up with NeCops.
Hey Sneaky, I'm glad you asked. The answer is no. As a matter of fact, when I worked in the public sector, I was a Regional Vice-President for a Union for over two years, and I didn't collect a single cent. The same is true right now. Believe it or not, I really care about private sector law enforcement officers, and I want to make sure they are all well represented. I now work in the private sector, and I want to make sure we get the quality representation we deserve. Any other questions?

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,428 Posts
I won't take the poll because I can't speak for the whole membership. We're Union, and not very happy, but it's for a variety of reasons and not focused on the union. And when I say, not VERY happy, I mean, we're happy, but only happy, not VERY happy.

Room for improvement in a number of areas but somethings are fine and different people have different views on why they are and aren't happy.

Confusing, ain't it. I wish NECOPS much success and hope it's around a LO-O-O-O-O-O-O-ONG time and gains membership. I can't say that we'll go that route ONLY because, again, different people, different ideals, goals and attitudes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't take the poll because I can't speak for the whole membership. We're Union, and not very happy, but it's for a variety of reasons and not focused on the union. And when I say, not VERY happy, I mean, we're happy, but only happy, not VERY happy.

Room for improvement in a number of areas but somethings are fine and different people have different views on why they are and aren't happy.

Confusing, ain't it. I wish NECOPS much success and hope it's around a LO-O-O-O-O-O-O-ONG time and gains membership. I can't say that we'll go that route ONLY because, again, different people, different ideals, goals and attitudes.
Kilv,

I respect and value your input. I'm glad to hear you're happy...but very happy would be better! We say it to every group we meet with, if you're happy with your current union, you should stay. We're just trying to offer an alternative.

PM sent.:D

G

·
What is the connection between NEPBA and NECOPS? You share an address and a law firm. Is NECOPS part of SPFPA? I saw an article with Jerry Flynn and Bryan McMahon meeting with them about affiliating.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the connection between NEPBA and NECOPS? You share an address and a law firm. Is NECOPS part of SPFPA? I saw an article with Jerry Flynn and Bryan McMahon meeting with them about affiliating.
There is no connection, other than we utilize the services of the same outstanding law firm. NECOPS is not a part of SPFPA, or any other union for that matter. We're independent. I'd like to see the article you are referring to.

Are you and "SneakyPete" on the same team?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the newsletter from a couple of years ago. Isn't that Jerry Flynn from NEPBA? http://www.spfpa.org/July_2006.pdf

I don't know SneakyPete
Interesting. NECOPS was formed in 2008! Could it be that the SPFPA is mad because one of their Locals filed a decertification petition and wanted to join NECOPS? It's sad that fellow "union members" would try to discredit a labor organization "anonymously" on this site.

Yes that is Jerry Flynn from NEPBA.

G

·
I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't know anything about SPFPA. I just found this photo when I did a search. I know Jerry Flynn from NEPBA and don't really have an opinion on the guy. Is he involved in NECOPS? That means it might be a strong union from what I have heard.

Are you saying they doctored a photo to show Jerry Flynn meeting with them about NECOPS, but NECOPS had not formed yet? How did SPFPA know about NECOPS if they hadn't formed yet? That's an odd story. That's the type of games that have kept me from going union.

How is NECOPS different than other unions like the Teamsters? I am asking these questions because I may go union, but I want to know what I'm getting into. I don't like the games unions play and stories they tell.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't know anything about SPFPA. I just found this photo when I did a search. I know Jerry Flynn from NEPBA and don't really have an opinion on the guy. Is he involved in NECOPS? That means it might be a strong union from what I have heard.

Are you saying they doctored a photo to show Jerry Flynn meeting with them about NECOPS, but NECOPS had not formed yet? How did SPFPA know about NECOPS if they hadn't formed yet? That's an odd story. That's the type of games that have kept me from going union.

How is NECOPS different than other unions like the Teamsters? I am asking these questions because I may go union, but I want to know what I'm getting into. I don't like the games unions play and stories they tell.
Welcome to the real world

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Maybe in 1996 Jerry Flynn was thinking about forming a union for security guards, but it certainly never happened. NECOPS was formed this year for law enforcement officers at colleges and universities. When I was in the public sector I was an NEPBA member and VP. I now work in the private sector and wanted to form a union just for us.

Jerry Flynn is not involved with NECOPS, other than giving me advice and information. His NEPBA model works extremely well, and we are following it. NEPBA can only represent public sector employees because of their affiliation with IUPA. NECOPS can only represent private sector employees.

We're very different. Invite us to your workplace for a presentation and you'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts