Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for policies and training guidelines for tourniquets and service pistol lights. Trying to sell the idea of both to my department, but they are to liability cautious. Been fighting the fight for a while, but now im trying to get copies of policies and training guidelines to help sell the idea. Thank you.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'll summarize ours in a nutshell.

Weapons lights are authorized, period. No specific permission needed. You can buy your own light-compatible holster if it has at least the same retention level as the issued one. All department-owned long guns have lights.

Tourniquets are issued as part of the IFAK, if you wear pants with side pockets it must be carried on the weak side. If not, it must be carried in your drivers door pocket or motorcycle side bag. Tourniquets are also carried in trauma kits in each patrol car, strapped to the passenger side headrest. We deploy a large disaster kit with multiples of all that stuff (tourniquets, compression bandages, airways, chest seals, etc.) to any large scale event. All officers are trained in using tourniquets and pressure bandages etc.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'll summarize ours in a nutshell.

Weapons lights are authorized, period. No specific permission needed. You can buy your own light-compatible holster if it has at least the same retention level as the issued one. All department-owned long guns have lights.

Tourniquets are issued as part of the IFAK, if you wear pants with side pockets it must be carried on the weak side. If not, it must be carried in your drivers door pocket or motorcycle side bag. Tourniquets are also carried in trauma kits in each patrol car, strapped to the passenger side headrest. We deploy a large disaster kit with multiples of all that stuff (tourniquets, compression bandages, airways, chest seals, etc.) to any large scale event. All officers are trained in using tourniquets and pressure bandages etc.
Weapon lights are only on our rifles but our tourniquet policy is almost exactly the same as your post.

A few guys who have extra training carry their own medic bags that can go around their backs.

·
Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com
2,963 Posts
What's a long gun? Better yet, what's a...a...weapon light?
Just kidding, I was told at one time by a member of my command staff, that we would never be authorized lights, because he knew that some jackass would be using it to illuminate a form in the middle of the night. The suck part, he's right, and before y'all go jumping on the high horse, take a look around your guard room, that guy works for every department.

Reactions: USM C-2

·
Registered
883 Posts
Where I used to work, I would have to clear at least one boarded up house a shift. Its nice if you get a b&e call, to have your support side hand free, to open doors and move debris, while keeping the weapon down range and illuminating the way. I found it to be a very useful in clearing short rooms and closets, where a suspect could be hiding right behind the door, but if you're using the harries technique, its awkward to perform this task.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just kidding, I was told at one time by a member of my command staff, that we would never be authorized lights, because he knew that some jackass would be using it to illuminate a form in the middle of the night. The suck part, he's right, and before y'all go jumping on the high horse, take a look around your guard room, that guy works for every department.
easy fix " a weapon-mounted light is to be used only at time where the drawing or aiming of a firearm is already authorized by law or department policy."

·
Duke of Campus Police
518 Posts
Jesus H!

So once again let's not enhance our officers tools, because we all know one "tool". Everybody being punished for the weakest link has to end somehow, someday.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
165 Posts
easy fix " a weapon-mounted light is to be used only at time where the drawing or aiming of a firearm is already authorized by law or department policy."
I sure do love reviving threads from 5 years ago, excellent cpr skills. A funny bit on weapon lights, I once knew a guy who used his weapon mounted light to direct traffic... o boy was that a day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts