Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CNN.com article

Excessive force? Did the officer make the right decision? Do you think there could have been another way to handle things?

Police use stun gun on 6-year-old
Officials: Child was cutting himself with glass

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Police used a stun gun on a 6-year-old boy in his principal's office because he was wielding a piece of glass and threatening to hurt himself, officials said Thursday.

The boy, who was not identified, was shocked with 50,000 volts on October 20 at Kelsey Pharr Elementary School.

Principal Maria Mason called 911 after the child broke a picture frame in her office and waved a piece of glass, holding a security guard back.

When two Miami-Dade County police officers and a school officer arrived, the boy had already cut himself under his eye and on his hand.

The officers talked to the boy without success. When the boy cut his own leg, one officer shocked him with a Taser and another grabbed him to prevent him from falling, police said.

He was treated and taken to a hospital, where he was committed for psychiatric evaluation.

"By using the Taser, we were able to stop the situation, stop him from hurting himself," police spokesman Juan DelCastillo told The Miami Herald.

The case was under review.

·
Registered
874 Posts
What a psycho kid. I think they did a great job and service to the kid by not letting him do any permanent or real harm to himself.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Nobody got hurt this time but I am sure if we give the little psycho a chance he will do some damage some day.
The media is all over the Tazer lately. Kinda reminds me of when peperspray was getting popular, they wanted to ban that too.

Though I don't know if I would have done that myself, then again it would not be an option as Tazers were illegal in Ma up until a few month ago and no one is using them is Ma as far as I know. Though I am looking forward to it but I will try not to zap the shit out of toddlers and elderly.

G

·
That six year old can probably handle it better than older people. When I was six, I was Superman, it wasn't until I got a bit older that I became human. :lol: :lol:

·
1,334 Posts
Waving a glass, holding a security guard back, already cut himself twice...at six years old? I would love to see the parents of this kid and when they lost control, if they ever had it. If a tazer needed to be used to control a six year old from harming others and himself than I would guess there is a long road ahead of him in the criminal justice system. I would definately like to see where this kid is in 10 or 20 years...

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Held a security guard back? Who? Gary Coleman? My god, the kids 6........just freaking kick him. :roll:

Nice call on the Tazer though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow damn kids today! Good call on the taser,here in the Commonwealth we wold have had to use pepper spray or a baton.

·
Registered
689 Posts
A taser. I don't know guys. Come on, he's six years old. I've been on 24 years and have had to deal with my share of armed out of control kids. Now before anyone gets upset, I will say this, I wasn't there in Miami, so I'm not trying to second guess those guys, but I keep going back to the kids age. Six years old, and a taser. There were at least four adults, three of them professional LEO's. I'm sure there were other options that to zap this kid. Think about folks. SIX Years old! :/

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Sarge439 on this one. I think a taser is a bit extreme, whether the kid was holding a big shard of glass or not. He's just a 6 year old. He obviously already has enough problems!

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Option A. Watch the kid cut himself from ear to ear right in front of you

Option B. OC, but bear in mind that Option A may happen anyway.

Option C. Rush the kid and attempt a baton strike. May work or may end with you or your partner getting stabbed in the abdomen, neck, or God knows where else.

Option D. Use the taser do no long-term damage to the kid, go home in one piece, and have to deal with the media and your fellow Officers Monday morning quarterback you

I don't fault these two Officers one bit they were seriously between a rock and a hard place there in no reasoning/negotiating with an adolescent EDP (if you don't believe me visit an adolescent psych unit one day during a code). They made a snap decision that may look bad from a third party perspective but in reality it easily could have saved someone's life and there was no long term harm done and the kid is going to get the psychiatric help he needs.

·
Subscribing Member
3,272 Posts
The good thing about a taser is that once it delivers its shock, the recovery is immediate and the kid would not have received any injury. If they all jumped on the kid holding the glass, the likelihood of injury to the 6-year-old would have been significantly higher, not to mention possible injury to the officers and staff. Every officer in Florida who has been issued a taser has been tasered him/her self and knows the feeling as well as the recovery, which is why it is very low on the use of force continuum. Tasering the kid was probably the least amount of force they could have safely used in this situation. The only thing this little guy came away with here is a learning experience that he'll never want to go thru again.

Stay safe!!!

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
This is difficult one. I think the taser was a better choice than to stick the little shit. Can you see the head lines.

"POLICE SHATTER CHILDS ARM WITH METAL PIPE"

I think the taser worked well here. The police and the little pshcho are in one piece and no one was leaking. That is a good thing.
It this kid was a little older and if it were in Massachusetts he may have been shot so I would call this a happy ending, and because the little nut is alive there is job security for all of us as I am sure this won't be the last time he has a run in with the police.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Being a parent, I can't help but feel for the little guy. He's only 6. WTH happened along the way that led to this? Was he abused physically? Sexually abused? It's hard reading some of you call him a psycho when I factor in the child's age. I'm just hoping he can be saved and get the help he so desperately needs.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Heres my solution from my comfortable monday morning quarter back chair, either wave a GI Joe at the kid, or throw something at him and then bullrush him... OR... perhaps somebody should have called one of the local ninja turtle teams!!!!! :shock: :

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
To taze, or not to taze...that is the question! A difficult choice, but just think of it this way: it's just the start of the child's journey on the road of the electro-shock therapy that awaits him in the future! :lol: 8)

Any word on momma/dadda and whether or not the kid is still (technically) in their "able" custody?

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
My best friends step son is going down a simmilar road. His problems like most are complex. Some I think were caused by the fact that the gene pool may have been shallow, Others because the word NO was not introduced until he was around 7 or 8 years old and then it was NO will become yes if I throw a larg enough fit. This child has spent several monthes in a secure home for troubled youths and they have tried the better life through chemisry routine as well. But I fear he is worse the a pscho. The child is on his way to being a sociopath. If he has a melt down and his parents try to dispipline him he goes to school and tells whoever will listen that he beaten by his parents. Then follows the 51A. This has happened several times and the state has opened a case every time.
The last time he had a melt down was at school and one of my comrads had to drag him out to the waiting ambulance so he could spend some quality time in the rubber room.

G

·
Children can become dangerous- I read a case in Court TV.com about a young girl, maybe 10 or 11 that had killed a couple of toddlers in her neighborhood. She would have been a serial killer if they didn't catch her. Her name was Mary Bell, the story is in the Crime Library.

Murder isn't that bad, we all die sometime anyway."

-- Mary Bell to one of her guards :shock:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Sarge439 on this one. I think a taser is a bit extreme, whether the kid was holding a big shard of glass or not. He's just a 6 year old. He obviously already has enough problems!
Come on Dunggie, you of all people. The old Dunggie would've cooked the kid and fed him to Rosie. This new and modified Dunggie is boring, she needs to let loose and show everything she has got. :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
no matter what the guys in Miami did the DEMORAT owned media would be pissing in their lemonade. if they sprayed the kid and he cut himself even more because he couldnt see it would be the cops fault. If they used their expandable baton it would be Cops assault little 6 year old kid who weighed 55lbs with a metal pipe. if they had charged him the violins would play with mommy showing pictures of little junior with all the marks. on him. Oh well just another example of cops doing their job and everyone else armchairing the thing

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.