Police TV Shows | MassCops

Police TV Shows

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by right.as.rain, Aug 3, 2010.

1. I thought there was another thread for this but I couldn't find it... If it exists, maybe this could be linked...?

So I'm wondering if anyone has been watching the show Rizzolli and Isles on TNT? I just started watching, and it seems pretty good. I figured some of you fellas must have checked it out, even just for the eye candy. Any opinions? (On the show, not on the ladies, I mean.)

Also, that new one starring Piper Perabo, Covert Affairs. Any watchers? Any opinions? I think it still gets a bit cheesy, but is certainly much better than Rookie Blue (sucks) and The Bridge (sucks slightly less, eh?).

Hubby and I are waiting for Blue Bloods to start in the Fall. Seems the most promising for a decent new police show.

2. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

surprisingly southland is my favorite cop show on cable. Never heard of blue blood.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Just looked up Blue Bloods, that show looks really good too.

3. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I don't like the TNT shows, Southland aside as its not their "original." TNT tends to make edgy, goofy characters and lighthearted bad guys. I loved the Shield on FX, but was dissapointed by Justified. The Tom Selleck show looks decent, as does the Detroit 187 show. Ive never seen a show I liked on ABC, the Hawaii 5-0 remake might have potential based on the trailer. I liked the Dragnet remake with Al Bundy, and there was another NBC show called Robbery Homicide, but I can't remember if I liked it or not.

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T4EUAfpXVg&feature=fvst"]YouTube- Blue Bloods - Donnie Wahlberg Stars[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh1kbDDG5qs"]YouTube- Detroit 187 - ABC Network[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sepWDZiynxc"]YouTube- Hawaii Five-0 - Fall 2010 Preview[/nomedia]

Upon watching these, we're probably better off watching old Adam-12 and Dragnet episodes on the retro channel.

4. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I rarely see a cop show I like after the first season. They all seem to get into a rut where they simply resemble each other too much. There have been some notable exceptions (Homicide:Life on the Street, The Wire, The Shield, for example) but for instance, "NYPD Blue" started out edgy and attention grabbing. I actually LIKED David Carruso in that. Then, I got bored and after a few more years, I'd watch now and then and found myself pissed off. Sipowicz was ALWAYS pissed off, Uniform cops were always shit on and things got bogged down to the extreme in the personal lives of the characters. Blech!

I'm VERY HOPEFUL but not too expectant of "Blue Bloods" but honestly, how many more times can the word 'blue' be used in a cop show title at this point?

5. Hush

Watched the new Hawaii 5-0. While the stunts and gun stuff are pretty impressive for TV, the storyline and acting suck. Looks good, but with no substance I can't see following it on a regular basis. I still think Breaking Bad and pretty much anything on FX are lightyears beyond every single thing on basic cable.

6. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

I agree with Hush. As an original lover of Hawaii 50 I looked forward to the re-birth only to be disappointed by a lot of flash and not much substance. The Blue Bloods looked pormising but proved dull and predictive. I still like NCIS but not the spin-off L.A. version. And believe it or not my favorite shows are on PBS's MYSTERY where there have been some very decent British and Swedish detective shows where high-powered weapons are replaced by thought.

7. Kilvinsky

I miss "Barney Miller", "Bakersfield PD", and "She's the Sheriff".

No wait, that last one was SHIT. I never even watched that stinking pile of...Oh, I was thinking of "Carter Country". THAT'S the one! Great show from back when that idiot peanut farmer was actually president. Man, thank God THOSE days are behind us.

Now, I look forward to when we can say that about the current administration.

Oh, and when the hell is "Car 54 Where Are You?" coming out on DVD?????? Thanks to Nick at Nite years ago, I actually got to watch and appreciate that show. Sadly it went off the air when I was 3 so I don't really remember it all that well, but when I saw it in reruns, I could appreciate it's brilliance. For a show from the early 60s, it would easilly blow away many current comedies in almost any catagory.

And I say that as a HUGE FAN of many of todays comedies.

8. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Angie Harmon is hot. My wife DVR's that show and I am "forced" to watch it. The best part is Angie Harmon is a huge Republican!

9. Hush

By far the greatest cop show ever has to be Hunter (based on my hazy recollection from age 10)
    Im just starting The Wire now and am hooked. The Shield was fantastic, and I really liked Southland. The networks continue to dissapoint me, I find the re-runs of Adam-12 and Dragnet in the afternoons 1000 times better than anything on prime time. 3rd Watch was decent, and I liked High Incident from years ago. It would be nice to see something worthwhile come on soon, holding out for the continuation of Southland if it got picked up.

10. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

I was talking to a transit cop the other night and he brought up 21 jump street, i liked it. The shield is my top fave with the wire and 3rd watch. I do occasionally watch dark blue on tnt.

11. Kilvinsky

There was a SitCom on a few years back where the main character was am NYC Transit Cop. I wish I could recall the name of the show. What was ironic was, the show was done a few years after the big merger AND the star was an actual former Transit Cop. It wasn't bad, it just didn't last long.

Well, IMDB, here I come.

12. Kilvinsky

Yup, "Blue Bloods" is a disapointment. "Detroit 1-8-7" isn't bad.

Other than "The Wire" and "The Shield" the only recent cop show I've really liked was the short lived "Life on Mars". That show was fantastic for a number of reasons, (Gretchen Mol being one of them) but sadly it had to come to an end.

13. Thatwardenbloke

Thatwardenbloke MassCops Member

ever seen the bill? they can solve any crime in under an hour, recently cancelled