Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Wanted to kinda get the ball rolling on this one. Been watching The Rookie on ABC, decent cop show, improbable but enjoyable. However, this new season has turned into complete and utter garbage. All the cops have turned from decent characters into social justice warriors. Its honestly so disappointing that to have a cop show now a days, it has to be progressive BS that focuses more on hot button issues than being a good show.
First two seasons are worth a watch though, they're on hulu.

·
...---...
1,620 Posts
I could never watch a Police show after I got on, like a dentist watching people drill cavities.
I get enough of it watching live during my shift, a crimity , not to be confused with dramity, at its finest. All though I did enjoy Barney Miller and Hill Street Blues as a kid.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,339 Posts
I agree 100% with Barney Miller. There are several episodes available on YouTube and the Roku Channel has seasons 3 & 4. As much as I liked Hill Street Blues at the time, as time has passed, I've grown to find too many faults, but it's still a decent show. Adam-12 is a bit dated but still shows a nice slice of life when dealing with the mundane we all get stuck with from time to time and frankly Police Story was one of the best ever. Off hand, I'm drawing a blank on any current shows I watch, though there has to be at least ONE that I'm drawing a blank on.

Too many cop shows over the years have been silly and highly unrealistic, but now and then, one comes along that is entertaining. I LOVED Lucifer. The police procedural was laughable and cringeworthy but the Devil made the show worthwhile and funny.

I loved NYPD Blue it's first two seasons. Then, I grew to hate it. No one EVER smiled or had a laugh. Everyone was extremely serious, angry, intense, what-have-you and the part that pissed me off most, every uniformed guy was either a wannabe detective, a lout, an overly gung-ho nut job, or somehow corrupt and only the detectives, lead by the ever dour Andy Sipowicz could handle police work. Dennis Franz was better on Hill Street.

Anyone remember Crime Story? It took place in the 1960s and starred Dennis Farina. The first couple of seasons where the cops were Chicago cops were terrific, then they got assigned to a federal task force and it's slipped.

I'm a serious couch potato, I could go on for several pages, but it's best I quit here.

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
The rookie started off neutered, and has gone completely off the rails. Southland, if you haven't seen it.
All the good ones never stuck, High Incident and Robbery Homicide came and went. The Wire is great, expands to a whole city from PD, to govt, to schools, and the projects. The Shield is a guilty pleasure, but gets ugly.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kilvinsky

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sorry. Southland went down the toilet when he allowed a crowd to murder his partner right in front of him and didn’t a fucking THING. Utter BULLSHIT.

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
Regarding the show, The Rookie, I know a guy on our job who is a part time technical advisor on the show. He's told me several times that he's spoken to the writers and producers about a number of things on the show that LAPD officers wouldn't do in real life but he says they only listen when it suits them. There's only so much he can do. As far as the most recent "stuff" on the show, that's supposedly over and it's allegedly going to move past it. We shall see.

Shows I've watched over the years, keeping in mind they are supposed to be for entertainment purposes and not so much realistic. Some of them are indeed corny but still fun to watch.

Adam-12, one of my all time favorites. (It helps that I used to work in the same station Reed and Malloy are seen driving out of on most every episode, the old Rampart Station)
Dragnet / Police Story / TJ Hooker / Hill Street Blues / CHIPS / NYPD Blue / Brooklyn South / 10-8 / Sheriff / Southland / Blue Bloods / The Rookie / SWAT (original and most recent)

For realism, I'd have to go with COPS and LAPD, Life On The Beat.

·
Back Out in the Sticks
309 Posts
I like The Wire a lot. I watched the first episode of SWAT (the new one) and noped right out of that. Southland was good at the beginning too; pretty realistic in terms of cop relationships (the shit talking, pranks, ball busting, etc.). Everything else was before my time, or I just haven't gotten into it.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever since i got on, ive liked the silly shows with a slice of realism rather than a realistic show. A show ive watched a few times thats pretty good is longmire. Honestly its the worst law enforcement ever, and every episode the sheriff breaks every police procedure and law, but its some good fun mystery wise. As far as Rookie goes, I knew it was going downhill when the new FTO was a blatant racist and they had an entire episode focused on the community policing center. Jesus Christ was that dull. If I wanted to watch new age policing BS, id go sit out front of Cambridge PD

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The Wire. That’s the last decent cop show I’ve watched. The Shield is good as just pure ridiculous entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,339 Posts
I found that Super Troopers is one of the most realistic and educational programs/movies one could watch.
TUNA -rarely around, always entertaining!

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
One of my all-time favorites, High Incident, just popped up youtube. Haven't seen it in 20 years but I still remember all the characters and always think of them when I see them in other roles. It's amazing how well this show stands up.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
I almost hate to admit it, but I watch all the European cops shows now, even subtitled. They are more realistic, the characters are believable, not super-hero tough or super-model looking. Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue used to be decent, but hell that was decades ago.

Reactions: zm88

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been on an old school cops episode trip lately. You can find them on YouTube. I’m sure a bunch of the geezers on here wish they were back in those days.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Pretty much any British crime drama, although for some unknown to me reason many of them are set in Manchester.
Silent Witness
Unforgotten
Scott & Bailey
The Bay
New Tricks
Bancroft

As an added bonus, their criminal procedure is different, so I am blissfully unaware of any errors that I'm sure are making my British brothers and sisters yell at their television sets.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts