1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police, sheriff's departments confiscate cache of firearms
Dozen guns, 500 rounds gathered
By JACK SPILLANE, Standard-Times staff writer

NEW BEDFORD -- Intelligence gathered by the Bristol County Sheriff's Office has led to the seizure by New Bedford police of 12 high-capacity firearms and more than 500-rounds of ammunition.
Police executed three search warrants last Saturday and confiscated 10 handguns, ammunition, and a bullet-proof vest at Storage USA, 3131 Acushnet Ave., in the North End.
Police also confiscated two loaded handguns from a second-floor apartment at 192 Arnold St. as a result of an investigation conducted last week by Deputy Sheriff Mike Nunes, officials said.
Police have charged Javon Brown, 27, whose last known address was 192 Arnold St., with "numerous firearms-related charges," including several unlawful possession counts.
Mr. Brown was already being held at the Bristol House of Corrections. He has a criminal history with a previous gun conviction in Rhode Island, police said.
At an 11:30 a.m. press conference at the police station, Mayor Frederick M. Kalisz Jr., Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson and New Bedford Police Chief Carl K. Moniz praised the seizures as an example of what happens when law enforcement agencies cooperate.
"This relationship is working, and as a result, we're making our streets safer," said Mayor Kalisz.
"What's going on today is exactly how it's supposed to work," said Sheriff Hodgson.
Chief Moniz said the mayor has directed him to create partnerships with law enforcement agencies with the county, state and federal governments.
"Without a joint combined effort, what you see would not be on that table," he said, gesturing to the seized guns.
Earlier in Mayor Kalisz's eight-year tenure, he and Sheriff Hodgson had a tense relationship.
The mayor had declined the sheriff's offer to use chain gangs to perform city work, and he had tried unsuccessfully in court to stop the sheriff from deploying deputy sheriffs to patrol New Bedford streets without being asked.
In the wake of the patrols, the sheriff and mayor began a series of meetings two years ago that led to the sharing of information gathered at the jail, said Bernadette Coelho, the mayor's spokeswoman.
Sheriff Hodgson attributed his improved relationship with the mayor to the lessons in patience taught him by his mother.
"It's important to be patient when you resolve to do good things for people," he said.

Contact Jack Spillane at [email protected]

Photos by JACK IDDON/The Standard-Times
From left, New Bedford Mayor Frederick M. Kalisz Jr., Bristol County Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson and New Bedford Police Chief Carl K. Moniz look over a cache of illegal handguns that were confiscated this past weekend.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Wow!!!!

One dozen guns + 500 rounds (ten boxes ammo)
It's definately a good thing, but it has more impact as a photo-op for administrators!
:p:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
mpd61 said:
Wow!!!!

It's definately a good thing, but it has more impact as a photo-op for administrators!
Exactly. You have to live down here to appreciate it. The guy on the left is the incumbent mayor. He's running for re-election, the election is Nov. 8, and he's waaaay behind in the polls. This is the guy who put our HQ in a former supermarket and closed our two end stations, causing us to be packed a-hole (can I say that?) to belly button in an inadequate building (although the really high ranking administrative people are in the former produce section, which somehow seems appropriate).
Anyhow, anything for face time on the news.

·
Registered
495 Posts
mpd61 said:
Wow!!!!

Yeah I know what you mean better the sheriffs don't get involved and leave the intelligence to the municiple and State Police.

Better the sheriffs keep their intelligence to themselves. And let the real LE find the guns on the street or used in a drive by shooting.

Comments like that show how ego and turf orientated this issue really is. What is important is getting the guns away from the bad guys. Who cares who gets in the paper.:jestera:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
BB-59 said:
Yeah I know what you mean better the sheriffs don't get involved and leave the intelligence to the municiple and State Police.

Better the sheriffs keep their intelligence to themselves. And let the real LE find the guns on the street or used in a drive by shooting.

Comments like that show how ego and turf orientated this issue really is. What is important is getting the guns away from the bad guys. Who cares who gets in the paper.:jestera:
Ah hey battleship-man,

I believe I said it was a good thing. My comment about photo op for Administrators has nothing to do with turf or ego. Where did I state, imply, or allude to the idea of shared information being bad?

Nice try though. Please keep sharing ideas
:wink:

·
2,297 Posts
BB-59 said:
Anyone else think it's ironic that a member posting about intelligence can't even spell Municipal?

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
where I come from I never met a Deputy Sheriff that could make the cut on a P.D.
that is why they pay for their positions and become Deputy Commander General Major Superintendent

·
Registered
189 Posts
94c, that really has to be the most ignorant statement, based on nothing but a lack of intelligence.It really doesn't even warrant much of a reply, it's just stupid.If you read my posts you know where I stand, but anyway you make yourself look like a moron.I could name a minimum of ten former Deputy Sheriff's who are now State Troopers and about five more ready to go to the next academy if they make the cut.The ones you talk about that pay for their positions are usually administrative, but don't forget the bottom guys, who can also be a deputy.Nice try on your cynicism. Try to use more thought the next time.

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
k9sheriff said:
94c, that really has to be the most ignorant statement, based on nothing but a lack of intelligence.It really doesn't even warrant much of a reply, it's just stupid.If you read my posts you know where I stand, but anyway you make yourself look like a moron.I could name a minimum of ten former Deputy Sheriff's who are now State Troopers and about five more ready to go to the next academy if they make the cut.The ones you talk about that pay for their positions are usually administrative, but don't forget the bottom guys, who can also be a deputy.Nice try on your cynicism. Try to use more thought the next time.
I don't know you personally, but I still stand by my statement

·
Registered
189 Posts
Enforcement by Deputies?I thought he stated that he never met one that could make the cut on a P.D.Wolfman, you lost me on that one.Completely off topic, or maybe i'm missing something.

·
Registered
105 Posts
94c, your screen name says it all. PUT DOWN THE PIPE. Many guys who you say can not make the cut start out in sheriffs departments and go on to local, state, and federal jobs. My guess would be that they "made the cut". That is like saying if your just a part time police officer you can't make the cut. If your just a campus police officer, you can't make the cut. My feeling is if your ignorant to information sharing, working together, and working with other agencies no matter what your current position is, you never made the cut.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
94C,

It's interesting that you say that. Not to repeat what was already said, how many former Deputy Sheriff's are now municipal police officers or State Troopers? I can think of 20 or so, all of who are pretty successful within their departments.

Wolfman,

To your point, I don't think it really matters what they support once they leave the Sheriff's departments for the purposes of this discussion. Point is, being a Deputy Sheriff does not necessarily mean that one will never make the cut as 94C points out. There are many successful police officers out there that started behind the walls.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Name ONE that thinks they should be on the street. Dangerous... Some SO's do the right thing share the intelligence and the cops the POLICE the ones that took then test, went through a real academy (not dnated or carried a sign, or has a brother that is a Congressman (Meehan MCSO) conduct the invest....

·
Subscribing Member
3,241 Posts
Wolfman said:
OK, in the interest of anonymity and personal privacy, just put their MSP ID numbers here or if you still feel hinky about it, PM them to me. I have resources to find out the rest and verify that what you claim is true. You don't even need to PM all 10 of them to me. 7 will do.

"2590"

The ball is in your court.
10 was your number, not mine, but let me find out who you are and then I'll get back to you.

I'm Dribbling.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.