Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good website or store that I could get a police scanner at and whats a decent price for one? I've been told by a dispatcher at the Raynham PD that I could prob get one at WallyWorld (aka Walmart) for bout $100. Thanks in advance

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
I got my scanner from Wally world for $100. Its a Uniden Bearcat. 50 channel 800MHz.
Then I went on-line got all the freq. I can't remember the link, but do a search on mass cop. I know I posted it somewhere about a month or two ago.

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
I guess it all depends on how cheap you want it and how much quality you want for your buck. My dad has always gone to "You DO IT Electronics" in Needham or Good Radio Shack. Good luck in finding what your looking for.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help guys...ended up going to Radioshack tonight and got one of these badboys:

Intern at the Raynham PD so I already have a list of most of the frequencies for my area but I also got this link too http://www.rfwiz.com/Frequencies/Massachusetts/MassTownsCounties.htm

wonder if you guys might kno...I don't quite kno all the lingo...when they say "Signal X" what do all those stand for? I kno like signal 4 is something like "on location" signal 7 - "returning to the station" and I kno there are a bunch...didn't kno if anyone might have a list somewhere....thanks in advance

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Best place to go for scanners is Radio Shack at the end of the year, when they put out the new models. I have a Radio Shack 1000 Ch. Dual Trunking handheld model, with all sorts of bells and whistles, which I got for around $130. Not a bad price, and I haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i'm lovin it...always in the loop hehe...i wish i knew which state police frequencies went to which dept...i got a list of probably like 20 dif state police frequencies but don't know where they're out of

does anyone know the frequencies for the Middleboro barracks?

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
My last one was a RELM HS200, it was the best one I ever had, before I busted it by accident :?
Its a company not as well known for its scanners as it is it's two-way radios. Its a great product though, I think it cost me $200 in 1998.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
I have 2 scanners I have a BC780 XLT in my room and in my truck I have a BC350 cheapo on just to listen to ch1 at the aux when i'm on ch 10. :-D

The 780 is a total badass machine and it connects to my computer. I got it second hand with almost all 1000 channels programmed :p

Scott
Great Link For Scanner Stuff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I just bought a dual trunking scanner from Radio Shack. However, I have no idea how to program certain stations. I am trying to get Middleboro and went to the site you guys discussed above. I get the following information:

SERVICE FREQUENCY PL/DPL DESCRIPTION MISC.W/N
Police 470.825 103.5 Ch 1 Main Help
Fire 470.700 203.5 Primary Ops N
470.700 91.5 Ch 2 Fire Ground N
33.72 203.5
DPW 470.600 131.8 New
Water Dept 470.375 203.5 New
EM 152.740 ??? Emergency Mangmt

What does "PL/DPL" mean? Should I be able to tune to the frequency 470.825, pause it, then hear all of Middleboro's police calls? These may be stupid questions, but I have no idea how this works. I can get some pre-programmed stations, but I am having trouble programming my own. Also, what does "dual trunking mean?" I have a book called "Police Call" that lists a few other Middleboro frequencies too, but I can't seem to get any of the frequencies listed in the book even though there are hundreds. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
fizzarley";p="58709 said:
Hello,

I just bought a dual trunking scanner from Radio Shack. However, I have no idea how to program certain stations. I am trying to get Middleboro and went to the site you guys discussed above. I get the following information:

SERVICE FREQUENCY PL/DPL DESCRIPTION MISC.W/N
Police 470.825 103.5 Ch 1 Main Help
Fire 470.700 203.5 Primary Ops N
470.700 91.5 Ch 2 Fire Ground N
33.72 203.5
DPW 470.600 131.8 New
Water Dept 470.375 203.5 New
EM 152.740 ??? Emergency Mangmt

What does "PL/DPL" mean? Should I be able to tune to the frequency 470.825, pause it, then hear all of Middleboro's police calls? These may be stupid questions, but I have no idea how this works. I can get some pre-programmed stations, but I am having trouble programming my own. Also, what does "dual trunking mean?" I have a book called "Police Call" that lists a few other Middleboro frequencies too, but I can't seem to get any of the frequencies listed in the book even though there are hundreds. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Pete
On your scanner, you should just program the frequency and let it scan. You should pick up your stations no problem. When you turn the squelch knob until the noise on the channel stops, thats called Carrier Squelch (CSQ), meaning the transmission will only be heard when the carrier of the broadcast is strong enough to break the squelch. The more you turn the squelch knob up, the stronger the signal has to be to break through to be heard. PL/DPL are codes that work like CSQ, except that the radio waits for a station to broadcast that particular code, otherwise the frequency remains silent. This is only available on very high end scanners and commercial radios so I wouldn't worry about them.

Dual Trunking referrs to frequencies in the 800mhz band that are trunked. Trunking systems use not one freq, but a group of freqs, one usually the control channel which all radios on the system are constantly monitoring. When a radio is keyed, it broadcasts on the control channel. The computer interface reads the signal, then picks the first empty frequency and switches both the broadcasting radio AND the receiving radios to that particular frequency.

There is more to it than that, but I wanted to keep it basic. Trunking systems are very difficult to monitor without a trunking capable scanner.

www.scanboston.com is a pretty cool site with many links.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the Rat Shack PRO95, 1000 channel dual-trunking, and love it. It is on clearance for $129 now as the new 97 is coming out. If your gear bag has a water bottle pocket, the 95 (and its digital-capable brother, the 96) fits perfectly inside with just the top sticking out.

For the absolute best frequency resource, check out the latest Scanner Master Pocket Guide, I believe the site is scannermaster.com and it's owned by two fine gentlemen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've always gotten my scanners at "You Do It Electronics " in Needham, and always Uniden/Bearcat. I have an Uniden BC760 at home and a Uniden Sportcat in my truck.

A good resource for frequncies is ScannerMaster, their big Massachusetts scanner guide has every frequency in Mass. Their most recent one is a few years old but they do come out with more up to date pocket sized editions.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
Wiggum_1";p="58794 said:
I've always gotten my scanners at "You Do It Electronics " in Needham, and always Uniden/Bearcat. I have an Uniden BC760 at home and a Uniden Sportcat in my truck.

A good resource for frequncies is ScannerMaster, their big Massachusetts scanner guide has every frequency in Mass. Their most recent one is a few years old but they do come out with more up to date pocket sized editions.
And the books are like 20 or 25% off at You do It right now. They have the newest of the small book in stock.

Scott :rock:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts