Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police Reject Candidate for being Too ¨Intelligent¨ -- WTF?!

ananova.com - A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test. Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took an exam to join the New London police, in Connecticut, in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27.

·
Subscribing Member
996 Posts
Yes....putting water on fire requires much more intelligence than knowing rights of arrest, threshold of probable cause, levels of force, etc. :p
I was thinking more like knowing how to sleep all night, eat well, and get paid for doing that, and then go work another job on your 5 days off every week

G

·
I was thinking more like knowing how to sleep all night, eat well, and get paid for doing that, and then go work another job on your 5 days off every week
I wouldn't be so smug if I were you; thanks to your bretheren in Boston, the public is wising up to the scam.

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
Back to topic...

This follows a theory held, unfortunately, by many departments & shrinks nationwide. The theory is that those deemed "highly intelligent" will quickly become bored with the sometimes mundane tasks of law enforcement and therefore will not stay with the job for very long. The departments don't want to spend the $$ on hiring and training someone who prospectively won't be around for long.

Oddly enough, this "too intelligent" theory is wildly incongruent with another current theory that the more educated an officer is, the less liability the officer is for the department (e.g. greater ability for essential critical thinking).

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
This guy should have tried to get a LE job at the Federal level if he is infact too smart for a local PD. Crazy shit I say!

·
Registered
779 Posts
a 49-year-old college graduate

I would bet this had SOMETHING to do with it....more than anything...gonna retire at 85??

And as far as too smart..I wonder if management sees extremely intelligent officers as threats in the sense that they'd be looking to buck the system all the time...looking for loopholes to take advantage of slower witted managment...which is EXACTLY why I don't get 100's on tests I take...I don't want the attention while I sheme.....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts