Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Desk+2

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
You guys short? I always remembered scanning and hearing guys sign on and being assigned “East, west and middle”....three guys...and usually Sgt Tony on the desk. And yes, I realize I’m dating myself... but he was one of the best.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,536 Posts
MPTC hasn’t even hammered out the bridge academy specs yet and QCC is already recruiting for the first PT/FT academy? Interesting.
And if you don't find employment within (X) amount of years you get to cut another check for (Y) to the MPTC and get to do it all over again.

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
This is where having a degree will make you stand out from the million certified officers that will soon become a reality. Academy certification is not the golden standard anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
This is where having a degree will make you stand out from the million certified officers that will soon become a reality. Academy certification is not the golden standard anymore

Yes and no. Departments are hurting for bodies. If you present well, have a solid foundation and good work ethic, I think most departments would welcome it. Degrees used to mean something. Now, I’d take military and work experience all day long over college. Especially in this field.

A lot of departments are dumping CS or entertaining it at least.... so one would assume that’ll create a wider variety of possible candidates for those departments that pull out of CS.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Whats gonna happen to the Sheriffs?? I'm somewhat excited to see the big hats and stars return to MA streets. I know some counties(Barnstable comes to mind) take a much more active LE role than others, so are they gonna try and push in to the LE field, doing highway patrol etc? That'd be huge for their recruitment, so they can trick poor rookies into the jails.
Sheriffs in MA are tasked with the care, custody, and transportation of people either awaiting trial, or serving sentences of less than 2 1/2 years.

That’s it.

They have no law enforcement role, beyond the walls of their correctional institutions. The fact that some empire-building sheriffs have tried to force their way into police work doesn’t make them any less unwanted or anymore qualified.

·
Registered
256 Posts

I might as well wipe my ass with my college degree, for all the good it’s helped me as far as functioning as a cop.

·
Back Out in the Sticks
305 Posts
I might as well wipe my ass with my college degree, for all the good it’s helped me as far as functioning as a cop.
That can be said for just about any job, with the exception of maybe teaching and accounting. I'm doing a master's program right now and, for the first time in my academic career, I'm actually being taught stuff that I will use on the job.

·
Southern Campus Cop
126 Posts
Well at least they’re willing to admit that there’s a “negligible difference” between the SSPO academy and the regular full time academy instead of forcing people who already sat through the whole SSPO academy to go sit for more classes.

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Well at least they’re willing to admit that there’s a “negligible difference” between the SSPO academy and the regular full time academy instead of forcing people who already sat through the whole SSPO academy to go sit for more classes.
As someone who's had the pleasure of attending said academy. I've always maintained it should have always been recognized and that no graduate should have to repeat an entire academy just to further their careers. I've also argued that it is infact a full-time police academy (semantics I know). Its just not a municipal academy to anyone who's asked about it. It seems to be the only silver lining in this shit bill. Given the nature of the MPTC I'm sure we'll have to do some type of addition training. I don't think we're getting off that easy.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Anyone have intel on whether or not the bridge academy will include PT or require the passing of a PAT. Some guys I work with are nervous. Some older guys that have been around a while. I haven’t heard anything either way regarding a PAT.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,656 Posts
Anyone have intel on whether or not the bridge academy will include PT or require the passing of a PAT. Some guys I work with are nervous. Some older guys that have been around a while. I haven’t heard anything either way regarding a PAT.
Gonna have to say probably not. The main intent and focus appears to be to "ensure that every law enforcement officer exercising police powers be trained to the same high standard."
The EOPSS, MPTC, and POSTC are facing super critical and fast approaching deadlines regarding first updating in-service for September 2021, and then bridge and MPOC academies sometime soon after that. Looking at the identified topics such as use of force & de-escalation, mental health, cultural competency & mass gatherings, etc. I would say PT isn't going to be a focus for "Police Reform" much. The above initial "final draft" from EOPSS only refers to "a significant component to be completed virtually". At least initially anyway.

Reactions: Foxy85

·
Back Out in the Sticks
305 Posts
One thing I wonder about with all these trainings: What about parole officers? From what I understand, they hold SSPO status minus ch. 90. Will POs have to go through a bridge academy, whole academy, or will they have some kind of waiver due to the different nature of their jobs? Or, will they reclassify POs, and other LEOs that do stuff other than standard police work, as something other than SSPO?

·
Registered
12 Posts
One thing I wonder about with all these trainings: What about parole officers? From what I understand, they hold SSPO status minus ch. 90. Will POs have to go through a bridge academy, whole academy, or will they have some kind of waiver due to the different nature of their jobs? Or, will they reclassify POs, and other LEOs that do stuff other than standard police work, as something other than SSPO?
Your question seems kinda confusing but I hope this response helps.

Regardless of what your title/job is, if you are going to be enforcing the laws of the commonwealth under the new post system you are REQUIRED by law to meet the new POST Certification standard.

This means everyone, including the State Police, are subject to this standard of basic ROC training.

There is a caveat, however, that allows for agencies (like MSP) to require MORE TRAINING but only after/if the basic ROC hours and curriculum has been met.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts