Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
When is all of this actually going into law ? Or is this just the game plan? Is this new standard of training and bridge program idea coming for MPTC or this magical police reform council who are supposed to get together and make educated guesses on what will be best for policing in mass?
July 1.

Mptc

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does this include Auxiliary guys that don’t work patrol?
Wish it would be more than 200 hours but I’m sure nothing is written in stone.

campus PDs and small towns (that utilize PTers) are gonna struggle through this. Should be interesting
Auxiliary if they carry a gun need to be certified.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is my next question. Massachusetts is one of the few states that doesn't require formal training for security officers. There are tons of armed security officer and armed guards out there with no training, an LTC and a complex where is the reform on that ? What's next for massachusetts only police officers can have guns? Where does it stop is the question

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
56 Posts
Whats gonna happen to the Sheriffs?? I'm somewhat excited to see the big hats and stars return to MA streets. I know some counties(Barnstable comes to mind) take a much more active LE role than others, so are they gonna try and push in to the LE field, doing highway patrol etc? That'd be huge for their recruitment, so they can trick poor rookies into the jails.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Here is my next question. Massachusetts is one of the few states that doesn't require formal training for security officers. There are tons of armed security officer and armed guards out there with no training, an LTC and a complex where is the reform on that ? What's next for massachusetts only police officers can have guns? Where does it stop is the question
Stop it

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Whats gonna happen to the Sheriffs?? I'm somewhat excited to see the big hats and stars return to MA streets. I know some counties(Barnstable comes to mind) take a much more active LE role than others, so are they gonna try and push in to the LE field, doing highway patrol etc? That'd be huge for their recruitment, so they can trick poor rookies into the jails.
No way this happens. If small towns lose their policing abilities, then MSP will expand their roles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having grown up and lived in Barnstable county for 20+ years, I can assure you Barnstable County sheriffs do not do LE roles in the community. Maybe out west this idea will take off of having the sheriff's departments handle regional LE but that is not currently happening down on the Cape and Isles and probably won't happen anywhere Northeast, Southeast, or East of Boston.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Having grown up and lived in Barnstable county for 20+ years, I can assure you Barnstable County sheriffs do not do LE roles in the community. Maybe out west this idea will take off of having the sheriff's departments handle regional LE but that is not currently happening down on the Cape and Isles and probably won't happen anywhere Northeast, Southeast, or East of Boston.
East of Boston?

·
56 Posts
Do you think they'll start offering a FT academy on weekends? I know some other states do that for places that need P/T officers but have a POST system

·
Back Out in the Sticks
305 Posts
Do you think they'll start offering a FT academy on weekends? I know some other states do that for places that need P/T officers but have a POST system
I did a night academy PA. It was 4 hours a night, 4 nights a week, plus 9 8 hour Sundays for firearms training, for 10 months. It was the same at the FT academy, just spread out.

·
56 Posts
I did a night academy PA. It was 4 hours a night, 4 nights a week, plus 9 8 hour Sundays for firearms training, for 10 months. It was the same at the FT academy, just spread out.
Exactly, just like that. I can imagine that being something that MA communities would be interested in

·
Back Out in the Sticks
305 Posts
Exactly, just like that. I can imagine that being something that MA communities would be interested in
As I've said before in previous posts, one thing that would have to change is the academy expiration rule. Nobody would want to give up a year to go to an academy that was at risk of being all for nothing if they don't get a job within two years. They'd have to either do what PA does, and just require academy grads to retake a state test every two years if they aren't hired, or do some kind of short refresher course to keep up their certification.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
That seems to be the talk that future FT academies will be offered on a PT basis as well. It’ll take like 11 mos to complete instead of 6...
They’ll have to do something otherwise towns that rely on PTers will be relying on MSP for coverage when they aren’t on duty and / or tied up because less guys are on the road.

Re: Oakham, Brimfield, the Brookfields, Wales, Holland and every other small town in Weatern Mass.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,536 Posts
That seems to be the talk that future FT academies will be offered on a PT basis as well. It’ll take like 11 mos to complete instead of 6...
They’ll have to do something otherwise towns that rely on PTers will be relying on MSP for coverage when they aren’t on duty and / or tied up because less guys are on the road.

Re: Oakham, Brimfield, the Brookfields, Wales, Holland and every other small town in Weatern Mass.
Does the MSP still run 2 and a desk for each barracks? This could be the catalyst, so to speak, for regional police in that part of the state.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I can’t speak for MSP, but in Brookfield, I’m confident they have more than two troopers covering the C-3 area. I would think there’s at least 3-4 plus the desk. Maybe it depends on the shift?

101 - 120 of 137 Posts