Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Does this include Auxiliary guys that don’t work patrol?
Wish it would be more than 200 hours but I’m sure nothing is written in stone.

campus PDs and small towns (that utilize PTers) are gonna struggle through this. Should be interesting

·
Get off my lawn!
3,536 Posts
Yes it's a done deal. Hurdle will be if the towns will accept it or make you go to a full time municipal academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its probable, however one could make the argument that its something like when the Quinn bill was around, if you get your degree at collage x and get y amount precent bump in pay, only for your department say you don't qualify because you got you Batchelor at curry College instead of umass, fitchburg or Framingham. Does that make scence ?

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
When is all of this actually going into law ? Or is this just the game plan? Is this new standard of training and bridge program idea coming for MPTC or this magical police reform council who are supposed to get together and make educated guesses on what will be best for policing in mass?
July 1

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
Does this include Auxiliary guys that don't work patrol?
Anyone who has and/or exercises arrest powers will have to be a MA certified law enforcement officer under MPTC.

Reserve/intermittent police academies will cease to exist in MA. Current classes will be allowed to graduate and then they will be required to attend to bridge training to become certified.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Regarding the 120 hour academies from years ago, guys that attended that will recall that you needed to pay extra and or attend other classes to become certified in that specific area... usually they charged you more for it too.

For example, on top of the basic 120 hour course, you had

Radar, 16 hours
FSTs, 24 hours
Baton, 8 hours
OC, 8 hours
Taser, 8 hours
BT, 16 hours
First Responder, 24 hours

So while it wasn’t anything close to the FT academy it was def more than the 120, they just nickel and dimed you for the other classes. I think all of that is (was?) included in the current PT academy...

·
Registered
511 Posts
R/I academies were a joke to begin with. I understand the needed some PDs have regarding part timers but the length and level of instruction varied from questionable to scary. Probably for the best in the long run.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
R/I academies were a joke to begin with. I understand the needed some PDs have regarding part timers but the length and level of instruction varied from questionable to scary. Probably for the best in the long run.
I've always said that as well. Taught you just enough to get in trouble. If you didn't have any sort of decent FTO program, you were screwed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks Goose.
It seems to be a big bragging point in MA. Like, if you ain't got Chap 90, you ain't a Real Poleece...
you have to go back and read some of the threads from like 10-15 years ago. They are priceless, I still laugh my ass off.

·
75th N.H.P.A.
324 Posts
Yes I heard it passed at chiefs meeting yesterday. Reserves will have a 200 hour bridge academy to complete but SSPO are all set. Guess a lot of campus chiefs were upset and worried that many will jump ship now.
I heard almost the same thing from the MPTC director at that meeting, with this distinction: SSPOs who graduated from MSP's campus academies will have full certification. But any officer with the reserve academy needs to cross the bridge.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I heard almost the same thing from the MPTC director at that meeting, with this distinction: SSPOs who graduated from MSP's campus academies will have full certification. But any officer with the reserve academy needs to cross the bridge.
The Rainbow Bridge? With unicorns?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
BU Observer, one of the all time trolls, once said something along the lines of "BU cops pedaling their bikes up and down CommAve like Pee Wee Herman." Top 10 lmfao moment.
Or Loyal remember that guy lol.
I'd love to see a nice masscops gold beat down on a troll. It's been too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CCCSD

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,656 Posts
Auxiliary police are not addressed in the police reform law at all.
They are actually specified in the proposed sec.13H1/2 ;)

Reactions: CCCSD

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's another question for auxiliaries. Example Holyoke MA Auxiliary Police don't go through an MPTC R/I academy they have an in house academy and I think derive there powers from an old civil defense statute . That program get the are too?

81 - 100 of 137 Posts