Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
461 - 480 of 484 Posts

·
Duke of Campus Police
524 Posts
I applaud the efforts of Marc Spigel to want to save auxiliary programs in Mass. Having said that, he is shoveling against what the legislature mandated and MPTC doesn't need to support.
I'm not in agreement where he keeps referring to auxiliaries in the same light as reserve officers. We all know reserves are paid and on patrol, different animals from unpaid volunteers. Working charitable events and weekends that FT officers "couldn't be paid to do them", and "great white sharks washing up"? We all know the Bridge Academy is a pain in the neck for most of us. Many reserves are being fully supported and even paid to attend practical portions like EVOC, firearms etc. I don't see how auxiliary programs can have a case made for the effort to certify them, when they are not L.E. under Chapters 41/98, 15A/22, 73/18, or SSPO.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Some reserves are even dropping out of the bridge as they deem it too tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youre going to have some realize they simply dont want to do the job anymore. I’ve got a couple guys debating on whether to bother with it as they were on the fence about how much longer they wanted to work PT anyway.

I can’t speak to the difficulty of it per se, as I’m not in this first group. I can say - that what I’ve seen from the couple guys I know attending in this first group, there’s no heavy lifting. If you have kept up on legal updates and stayed knowledgeable as a PT guy, the bridge will be a smooth transition.

I am curious as to what the “difficult” part of it is. It’s essentially all academic and should play as a refresher for active part time guys.

·
Subscribing Member
3,289 Posts
Does anyone know if reserve officers who will eventually be full time certified by doing this Bridge Academy, will get to be certified as an SSPO after that?
Under the MPTC, once an individual is certified as a full-time MA law enforcement officer, they are full-time certified and are eligible to work as a campus or municipal police officer and a deputy sheriff.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Does anyone know if reserve officers who will eventually be full time certified by doing this Bridge Academy, will get to be certified as an SSPO after that?
SSPO is not like being an old Boston Rule 400 Special Officer, which for years all you had to do was demonstrate a pulse and pay the fee. One cannot just be “certified” as an SSPO, you have to be employed by a specific agency as outlined in MGL Chapter 22C. These agencies include (but are not limited to) DMH, DPH, DMR, Massport (still referred to as the old name “Port of Boston”), colleges & universities, hospitals, railroad companies, and humane societies.

The heads of those agencies petition the superintendent of the state police, who makes the appointments, which are good from 1-3 years, depending on the agency.
Under police reform, all SSPO’s have to be full-time academy trained, with the MSP-run SSPO academy in New Braintree being considered equivalent. All other SSPO’s with the reserve academy will have to do the bridge academy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SSPO is not like being an old Boston Rule 400 Special Officer, which for years all you had to do was demonstrate a pulse and pay the fee. One cannot just be “certified” as an SSPO, you have to be employed by a specific agency as outlined in MGL Chapter 22C. These agencies include (but are not limited to) DMH, DPH, DMR, Massport (still referred to as the old name “Port of Boston”), colleges & universities, hospitals, railroad companies, and humane societies.

The heads of those agencies petition the superintendent of the state police, who makes the appointments, which are good from 1-3 years, depending on the agency.
Under police reform, all SSPO’s have to be full-time academy trained, with the MSP-run SSPO academy in New Braintree being considered equivalent. All other SSPO’s with the reserve academy will have to do the bridge academy.
Thank you. So let’s say a reserve officer who went through bridge academy and was full time certified after. He/she gets hired by a campus police department, will he/she be able to get a SSPO license?

461 - 480 of 484 Posts