Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
441 - 457 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
So under the old rule that came out like a few weeks ago a reserve that went to bridge had 2400 hours patrol Ana a reserve academy could have gotten a full time waiver from the appointing department. I assume that’s not the case anymore and you’d have to go to the full time academy. As they should if they want to be full time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which is fine, I guess - but then why bother with a bridge academy or additional training if it’s not going to change your status?

This state is so screwy

·
Registered
23 Posts
So under the old rule that came out like a few weeks ago a reserve that went to bridge had 2400 hours patrol Ana a reserve academy could have gotten a full time waiver from the appointing department. I assume that’s not the case anymore and you’d have to go to the full time academy. As they should if they want to be full time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this new from the meeting? I haven’t heard of this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
which is fine, I guess - but then why bother with a bridge academy or additional training if it’s not going to change your status?

This state is so screwy
I thought it’s as long as you completed bridge academy, your department can then sign you off to be full time certified.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
I thought it’s as long as you completed bridge academy, your department can then sign you off to be full time certified.
It was (again not sure if anything changed) up to your department to “apply” with MPTC to seek permanent exemption from having to attend the FT academy. So I believe MPTC still has discretion on whether to grant the exemption.

I can’t see anyone getting rejected honestly, as the whole point of this bridge academy is to bring PTers up to par with FT trained officers.

With All of the nonsense going on, I’m debating on going to get my CDL and just driving truck for a living. No one to bother me. Just me and the open road. 😎😆

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was (again not sure if anything changed) up to your department to “apply” with MPTC to seek permanent exemption from having to attend the FT academy. So I believe MPTC still has discretion on whether to grant the exemption.

I can’t see anyone getting rejected honestly, as the whole point of this bridge academy is to bring PTers up to par with FT trained officers.

With All of the nonsense going on, I’m debating on going to get my CDL and just driving truck for a living. No one to bother me. Just me and the open road. 😎😆
I hear ya.. it’s been so aggravating. Everyday there’s something new with this bridge academy. Don’t know why they couldn’t just grandfathered everyone who’s been on the job for many many consecutive years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if MSP will be removing the degree requirement from their SSPO warrant waiver now that the bridge program will bring up reserve-intermittent trained officers to the FT-certified level?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Does anyone know if MSP will be removing the degree requirement from their SSPO warrant waiver now that the bridge program will bring up reserve-intermittent trained officers to the FT-certified level?
Call the MSP Cert unit there Marine! They're probably still digesting and adjusting fire too!

Reactions: kal.usmc

·
8,768 Posts

·
8,768 Posts
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
No petition to Caha
Here is a link to a petition to the Governor that we started to bring public awareness to what is going on. Please read, sign and share.

Sign the Petition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No petition to Charlie is going to raise "public awareness". You need I-team or someone else in media to do that. People need to see and hear discussions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The way I read the law (as well as Scheft’s interpretation), there are no more waivers, you’re either POST-certified, or you’re not, and there is no mention of a degree.

If you currently have the R/I Academy AND at least 2,400 hours of police patrol experience with arrest powers (paid detail time does NOT count), you’re provisionally POST-certified, which will expire within the next 2 years (depending on your last name), and you’re eligible to attend the Bridge Academy, which will bring you up to full-time equivalent.

If you have the R/I Academy, but not the 2,400 hours of police patrol experience, you’re out of luck, you have to do the full-boat academy to get POST-certified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Call the MSP Cert unit there Marine! They're probably still digesting and adjusting fire too!
The way I read the law (as well as Scheft’s interpretation), there are no more waivers, you’re either POST-certified, or you’re not, and there is no mention of a degree.

If you currently have the R/I Academy AND at least 2,400 hours of police patrol experience with arrest powers (paid detail time does NOT count), you’re provisionally POST-certified, which will expire within the next 2 years (depending on your last name), and you’re eligible to attend the Bridge Academy, which will bring you up to full-time equivalent.

If you have the R/I Academy, but not the 2,400 hours of police patrol experience, you’re out of luck, you have to do the full-boat academy to get POST-certified.
I have the R/I academy (372hrs+56 for firearms and all the extra stuff) and I am currently coming to the end of my 2nd year as a sworn Special Police officer (working for a private entity, but my powers of arrest come from the municipality's police commissioner. So I have well over the 2400hrs of patrol as a sworn LEO, I will end up being bridged by my employer, but I am looking for some answers as to how that applies to the Special State equivalency guidelines.
I just don't have a degree...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 · (Edited)

That’s not entirely true.

If you don’t have the 2400 hours experience you are still eligible to attend the bridge academy. They are giving a 5 year window from the date of the last graduating part-time academy to accumulate your 2400 hours. This was done to be fair to the most recent reserve class.

You can still work PT without the 2400 hours after attending the bridge, just not eligible for the FT waiver. If you don’t complete the 2400 hours by the end of the 5 year window, your POST certification will expire and then you will be required to attend the FT academy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the R/I academy (372hrs+56 for firearms and all the extra stuff) and I am currently coming to the end of my 2nd year as a sworn Special Police officer (working for a private entity, but my powers of arrest come from the municipality's police commissioner. So I have well over the 2400hrs of patrol as a sworn LEO, I will end up being bridged by my employer, but I am looking for some answers as to how that applies to the Special State equivalency guidelines.
I just don't have a degree...
What’s considered applicable as far as the 2,400 hours of experience is still very much up in the air, but my gut feeling is that the Bridge Academy is meant for part-time municipal officers (city and town employees), not private security with special police powers.

I also believe that a municipality needs to sponsor people for the Bridge Academy.

·
8,768 Posts
Bargain rack @ Trippi's
Jersey Sleeve Grey Collar Sportswear

Reactions: CCCSD
441 - 457 of 457 Posts