Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
401 - 420 of 457 Posts

·
Back Out in the Sticks
334 Posts
Bridge Hands on training schedule released
1. All Monday - Friday Days
2. Furthest west is Boylston

More indication of the intent to eliminate Reserves in Massachusetts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As in no more part time officers?? That'll eliminate whole departments!

What's the plan to replace them? Have MSP take over primary LE services in those towns? Multi-town/regional departments? Create patrol divisions in the sheriff's offices?

·
Duke of Campus Police
518 Posts
As in no more part time officers?? That'll eliminate whole departments!

What's the plan to replace them? Have MSP take over primary LE services in those towns? Multi-town/regional departments? Create patrol divisions in the sheriff's offices?
Relax,
Marc is understandably upset about the impact on auxiliary programs. He's indulging in speculation regarding reserves. Isn't the purpose of Bridge Academy to bring reserves up to the new standard?

·
MassCops Member
90 Posts
Relax,
Marc is understandably upset about the impact on auxiliary programs. He's indulging in speculation regarding reserves. Isn't the purpose of Bridge Academy to bring reserves up to the new standard?
This is impacting both auxiliaries and reserves. The hurdles put in place further solidified with the M- F normal business hour schedule shows that the intent is to eliminate all part time, paid or volunteer.

(For the record I’m both an auxiliary and reserve in separate communities - I’m looking from both sides of the equation - we are all screwed)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 · (Edited)
Add those days to the approximate 4 weeks you will need to take of from your “real job” if you work normal business hours…

Yeah not looking forward to burning my time for this, but I am fortunate enough to be able to have the time to use. I know others are in a worse spot.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
Relax,
It is. It is. However through attrition, reserves will be a thing of the past. No more part time academy.
The new full time academy on a part time basis will simply encourage those who want a career change to be able to attend the academy at night.

I don’t think anyone is going to the 9-10 month long part time - full time academy (at a cost of something like $8,000 + ) to make $20 / hour patrolling small towns.

Then with current PTers given the “sign of the cross” to go work Full time after the bridge academy, you’ll be hard pressed to fill a vacant “reserve” position in a town that utilizes them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is impacting both auxiliaries and reserves. The hurdles put in place further solidified with the M- F normal business hour schedule shows that the intent is to eliminate all part time, paid or volunteer.

(For the record I’m both an auxiliary and reserve in separate communities - I’m looking from both sides of the equation - we are all screwed)

I don't see that "intent". There are evening hours at two locations, on two Wednesdays each month for the exam portions. There are over thirty plus weeks between October and end of June to get in three weeks of Practical/Hands on training. It's going to be some puckering, but it can be done. Pretty sure we're still going to see Reserves for some time too. They won't go away overnight, or even in the next three to five years by attrition. Talk regionalization all you want too, Okay, where's the money and political support for that program currently?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone gotten their medical done yet? Went to a few places that supposedly do these kind of medical checks and they have no idea what to do or seen that paperwork. Some even said I should do it with my primary doctor. But MPTC said you can’t use your primary doctor. Very confusing.

·
MassCops Member
90 Posts
Has anyone gotten their medical done yet? Went to a few places that supposedly do these kind of medical checks and they have no idea what to do or seen that paperwork. Some even said I should do it with my primary doctor. But MPTC said you can’t use your primary doctor. Very confusing.
I would check to see who your department uses for full time hires. If you are an employee VS Volunteer- who is paying???

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would check to see who your department uses for full time hires. If you are an employee VS Volunteer- who is paying???

Did that, and they said gotta do it through primary Care. I don’t think most small towns are paying for it. most people have to pay for it out of pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used the Occupational Health department at Reliant in Auburn. It was $550 with the echo. Easy enough to get an appt and they knew what they were doing. The form i was given to provide to the occ health doctor is here: hrd med eval form My primary care doc had no idea what I was talking about when I made the request but the secretary knew exactly who to call.

·
MassCops Member
90 Posts
$550. Insanity. To keep our positions. Gotta love it.
Some good reading on who should be paying for this exam. Hint - not you if you are employed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just trying to make this clearer, say you have a state university police officer who went to the SSPO academy. With this new police reform law, are they now eligible with that certification to work for any department in the state full-time?

·
MassCops Member
90 Posts
Just trying to make this clearer, say you have a state university police officer who went to the SSPO academy. With this new police reform law, are they now eligible with that certification to work for any department in the state full-time?
It has to be a State Police run SSPO Academy that was held in New Braintree - then yes.

(It has nothing to do with where you work)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
ANY current police officer who went to the New Braintree SSPO academy is now certified to work for any department in the state full-time.
FIFY

Reactions: Sgt Jack and CCCSD

·
Registered
Patrol
14 Posts
Medicals can be done by ANY DO, MD, NP, or PAC. Any doc or PA that will fill it out can do it. Besides a normal physical there are only 3 required tests that need to be done on the HRD form. Spirometry, Audiogram, and PPD test for TB. That's all you need done. Once that is complete you can send your email to [email protected] which will come back with a response saying they are not doing testing right now. Then you need your chief to go into ACADIS and upload your documents to the bridge academy and submit your application.

401 - 420 of 457 Posts