Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
381 - 400 of 459 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,774 Posts
There is no easy fix. The Legislature pandered to the media-driven hype, and progressive minority voices that followed the George Floyd incident. We were all painted with that brush, and our legislature reacted to an anomaly 1390 miles away, in a knee-jerk negative fashion. It's over............................
THERE'S NO GOING BACK!!!

Reactions: cheezsta and CCCSD

·
Subscribing Member
460 Posts
Here is an easy fix… everyone prior to July 1 of this year is good. If you are part time regardless of status you do the bridge. We are all cops regardless of what capacity. Full time requirement for everyone else past July 1. It boggles my mind that an out of state academy like mine 770 hours plus 4-7 years experience doesn’t qualify for a bridge or an exemption per the Mptc because I’m an SSPO, but a 300 hr academy does….
Welcome to Massachusetts where very little makes sense. I had the opposite problem I have the Full time SSPO and and the RI. It was no good for a full-time municipal job but I could work in Florida at a busy suburban Sheriff's Office no problem. Want to work full-time in podunk Mass no exemption for you. 🙄.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Any mention if the state has a plan to cover the cost of Agencies having to send their guys to an ROC?

Reactions: mpd61

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
So not for nothing - but no more summer specials on the cape? What are those communities planning to do? Population explodes down there during the summer months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, now they are saying as long as you work full time as an SSPO regardless of your prior experience or hours, you just have to go to the bridge academy. So guys who are just hired now, does not have to go to the full time academy anymore. But the older guys who has been on the job for years has to go to the bridge academy and do the PAT test.

so they basically screwed everyone who’s older and more experienced. Someone at the meeting even mentioned, 1/3 of the people are going to quit just because of the PAT test. Nobody responded to it. Nobody cares.

Does anyone have this meeting recorded? Thanks

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,774 Posts
masss Wow! After seven years? Welcome to the party! LOL!!!!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Anyone know (confirmed) if there are limited tries / attempts to complete the PAT prior to attending the bridge academy.

Someone mentioned 2 tries and you’re done after that if you don’t pass. I haven’t found anything saying one way or the other.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Anyone know (confirmed) if there are limited tries / attempts to complete the PAT prior to attending the bridge academy.

Someone mentioned 2 tries and you’re done after that if you don’t pass. I haven’t found anything saying one way or the other.
I have heard 2 as well, same for the Cooper I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Patrol
14 Posts

Yes you can take it twice and that's it.

It all on here as well explaining the time and everything you have to do.

·
MassCops Member
90 Posts
Bridge Hands on training schedule released
1. All Monday - Friday Days
2. Furthest west is Boylston

More indication of the intent to eliminate Reserves in Massachusetts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
That’s for initial hires by a department. Not specifically geared towards the bridge academy. People attending are already hired and working.

Moreover what your document says is that if they fail two times, they have to submit a new “conditional offer of employment” and new medical and can retry more times.

either way it seems a little ambiguous unless you care to clarify further.

·
Registered
Patrol
14 Posts
That’s for initial hires by a department. Not specifically geared towards the bridge academy. People attending are already hired and working.

Moreover what your document says is that if they fail two times, they have to submit a new “conditional offer of employment” and new medical and can retry more times.

either way it seems a little ambiguous unless you care to clarify further.
That is the PAT test the Bridge Academy is requiring at this time. Same one initial hires have to go through. All this info in on the bridge academy training website I posted above. I agree, I don't know why we have to do this as we are already working.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
That is the PAT test the Bridge Academy is requiring at this time. Same one initial hires have to go through. All this info in on the bridge academy training website I posted above. I agree, I don't know why we have to do this as we are already working.
You’re correct. I’m not disputing that. What I’m trying to clarify is the limited number of attempts.

That document you provided states nothing about limited attempts regarding those attending the bridge academy. The document is dated 2019 well before any of this was even in existence.

I understand the obstacle course and what is required of the officer in order to move forward. My question is seeking clarification as to number of attempts to pass allowed. And yes, I understand jt says two in the document you tagged, however that is for an “initial new hire” not someone attending bridge.

We’ve all seen the requirement to pass the PAT. What I haven’t seen is something laying out specifically if there is going to be limited number of tries for those that potentially don’t pass it. As it pertains to bridge*

·
Registered
Patrol
14 Posts
You’re correct. I’m not disputing that. What I’m trying to clarify is the limited number of attempts.

That document you provided states nothing about limited attempts regarding those attending the bridge academy. The document is dated 2019 well before any of this was even in existence.

I understand the obstacle course and what is required of the officer in order to move forward. My question is seeking clarification as to number of attempts to pass allowed. And yes, I understand jt says two in the document you tagged, however that is for an “initial new hire” not someone attending bridge.

We’ve all seen the requirement to pass the PAT. What I haven’t seen is something laying out specifically if there is going to be limited number of tries for those that potentially don’t pass it. As it pertains to bridge*

Ah gotcha. Well yes it's the same exact standard for us as an initial hire. That is what I heard on the meetings.

Some good info on this thread as well.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Ah gotcha. Well yes it's the same exact standard for us as an initial hire. That is what I heard on the meetings.

Some good info on this thread as well.

from what I can tell - you can take the PAT as many times as you like, it’s just gonna cost you $150 each time you do.

I’m guessing one’s chief will probably eat the first one but after that it’s gonna be on you.

·
MassCops Member
90 Posts
from what I can tell - you can take the PAT as many times as you like, it’s just gonna cost you $150 each time you do.

I’m guessing one’s chief will probably eat the first one but after that it’s gonna be on you.
Add those days to the approximate 4 weeks you will need to take of from your “real job” if you work normal business hours…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

381 - 400 of 459 Posts