Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

21 - 40 of 138 Posts

·
Get off my lawn!
3,561 Posts
I don't see the exact correlation between regional dispatch, and regional PD's. Dispatchers training and "liability" issues, coupled with staffing comparison doesn't equate to the sworn personnel requirements for regional PD. Nashoba is also having issues with at least two towns not happy and looking to leave. Devens doesn't have any MP's either.
Like I said I suspect its the powers to be testing the waters they have the mentality of "if it can work here, maybe we can use it in the field." I know a couple of small departments that with have 3 guys on days one of them being a sgt then a 4th who is the SRO, but as soon as the clock strikes midnight they have one officer on.
Nashoba is also having issues with at least two towns not happy and looking to leave.
...Shot in the dark, Townsend? are they still using their old DPW radios or have they since upgraded?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Yes and no LOL!!!!!

Reactions: RodneyFarva

·
Registered
943 Posts
Maybe we should take a good idea from Mississippi - if an academy graduate leaves the sponsoring department after less than two years, the new department has to reimburse the sponsoring department for the cost of the academy.

I know we had to write that check a few times. And we got a few checks sent our way in exchange, so it most likely more or less evened out.

Reactions: Hush and EUPD377

·
Registered
466 Posts
You have to remember when laws are written generally they are not very well thought out . This may ended being a mandate which is unfunded by the state .
DEFUND THE POLICE!!!!!
I knew it! a backdoor ploy by Michelle Wu, Rachel Rollins, Ayanna Presley and others of their ilk to end us........

·
Southern Campus Cop
129 Posts
Do towns that use MSP as their primary agency have to pay any sort of contract fee or anything to the state police, or is it free since they’re paid for through state taxes? Around here we don’t have state police per se, but the sheriff’s office patrols all the unincorporated areas of the county, and incorporated areas can choose to contract with them for law enforcement, but must pay a fee. Generally, it’s a little bit cheaper than what it would cost for their own PD, but the sheriff doesn’t provide law enforcement articles for incorporated area for free. If the state police were to cover the town for free, does the town have any incentive (besides more frequent patrols and shorter response time) to have their own PD?

As an interesting aside, by a quirk or state law here, the only people allowed to serve civil papers are sheriffs deputies and highway patrol troopers. There was one sheriffs office a couple years back that was so short on manpower due to low morale and high turnover, that they had to have the highway patrol serve civil papers in the county for them. The state charged the sheriffs office a pretty good fee for each process served and I believe ended up making a profit out of the deal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So what about all the old timers that are on a campus PD that had a training course back in the day that totaled somewhere around 150 hours? I'm forgetting the names but the academies back in the day had a dismally low amount of total hours of training...

Our department has a hybrid of older officers who have a full time academy, several who have the reserve (back when the hours were lower), and some that have neither of those things but have an in house mini academy from the Boston Police. Unless they grandfather in officers who have been currently working in an LE capacity, a lot of departments will be screwed.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,561 Posts
150 hours sounds right, I went to through the Boylston academy in 99, I was appointed as part time police officer in 2003. I would like to see how many hours of patrol and in service classes I worked (not including detail or the occasional dispatch shit) and try to use that as some sort of credit toward a bridge academy. I think that would be fair.

·
Registered
53 Posts
150 hours sounds right, I went to through the Boylston academy in 99, I was appointed as part time police officer in 2003. I would like to see how many hours of patrol and in service classes I worked (not including detail or the occasional dispatch shit) and try to use that as some sort of credit toward a bridge academy. I think that would be fair.
Exactly. The amount of in service hours and specialized training I've received far surpasses my limited formalized "academy" training. I'm worried about the smaller departments that have a hybrid like I mentioned above...the larger ones will be taken care of

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
They are going to have to find some sort of happy medium between all of the Pt academies.

they were 120 hours...

then 242 hours...

now they are like 380 or something.

I think weighing in the in-service and actively working, the bridge academy will land between 200-300 hours on top of whatever you had.

what that does in terms of the ability to go FT will probably create a shit show, but it will be interesting.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,561 Posts
what that does in terms of the ability to go FT will probably create a shit show, but it will be interesting
Agreed , time served as fully sworn PT with full police powers, not just reserve, auxiliary or specials detail guys. Pt should have x amount of hours working on patrol to be able to qualify.

·
8,658 Posts
Agreed , time served as fully sworn PT with full police powers, not just reserve, auxiliary or specials detail guys. Pt should have x amount of hours working on patrol to be able to qualify.
STOP!!!!!
You're shattering dreams of many, including perhaps FT Campus folks.
Let's all stop guessing, could, should, and what if'ing this shit to death. Give the people in power the months/years they need to sirt this out.......

·
Get off my lawn!
3,561 Posts
All I'm saying technically we canall become state troopers over night at the stroke of the pen like the 94 mdc/reg/cap merger... thats what I heard from the guy who cleans the Shelbourne falls barracks on the week end:p

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Thats what they want you to think.
I remember one of my friends that was an mdc cop in 1992 was wearing an msp uniform and his cruiser was painted over msp colors.

Three of the following defunct Commonwealth of Massachusetts police agencies (Registry of Motor Vehicles Division of Law Enforcement, Massachusetts Capitol Police, Metropolitan District Commission Police) were merged in 1992 by Chapter 412 of the Massachusetts Acts of 1991 along with the former Department of Public Safety - Division of State Police to form the current Department of State Police. All officers of the three departments became Massachusetts State Troopers at the time of the merger without needing to attend the Massachusetts State Police Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Get off my lawn!
3,561 Posts
On a more serious note a part timer with certain amount of training and experience could qualify for a full time employment, based on the past precedent alone.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The bridge academy will (this is my conspiracy theory, though I’m probably not alone in thinking this) most likely create and transition to a FT academy, on a part-time basis. Allowing those who want to go FT or PT the ability to attend a nighttime / wknd academy. Other POST type states do it. I know this has been talked about before but with the elimination of future PT academies, how else do you attract someone who wants to work PT or that would otherwise become full time but can’t self sponsor and quit their jobs.
It’s going to be interesting. My guess is that they whip something up quick. If MSP can hold academies over zoom, I’m confident MPTC can whip together a bridge academy.

·
8,658 Posts
The bridge academy will (this is my conspiracy theory, though I'm probably not alone in thinking this) most likely create and transition to a FT academy, on a part-time basis. Allowing those who want to go FT or PT the ability to attend a nighttime / wknd academy. Other POST type states do it. I know this has been talked about before but with the elimination of future PT academies, how else do you attract someone who wants to work PT or that would otherwise become full time but can't self sponsor and quit their jobs.
It's going to be interesting. My guess is that they whip something up quick. If MSP can hold academies over zoom, I'm confident MPTC can whip together a bridge academy.
The only whipping going on is...............Oh never mind!:p

Reactions: Foxy85

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I was going to edit my excessive use of the word “whip”, but now I think someone else should raise the bar and post up another response using the word (appropriately as it relates to this thread) even more. Whip up your best post.

I may be on a sugar high and extremely bored.

·
Southern Campus Cop
129 Posts
The bridge academy will (this is my conspiracy theory, though I'm probably not alone in thinking this) most likely create and transition to a FT academy, on a part-time basis. Allowing those who want to go FT or PT the ability to attend a nighttime / wknd academy. Other POST type states do it. I know this has been talked about before but with the elimination of future PT academies, how else do you attract someone who wants to work PT or that would otherwise become full time but can't self sponsor and quit their jobs.
It's going to be interesting. My guess is that they whip something up quick. If MSP can hold academies over zoom, I'm confident MPTC can whip together a bridge academy.
This makes the most sense to me. Here in NC, everyone must go through the full-length academy. Even if you want to be a reserve and work two shifts a month in your tiny town, you need a full academy. To make it more accessible for people who hold full time jobs, they offer evening/weekend academies. It takes about eight months to get a full academy done in this format, but it's better than nothing for people who have a full time job.

21 - 40 of 138 Posts