Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
361 - 380 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Regarding the PAT test, I still think it’s unfair for older officers. the unfair point is for people who are 50 and above, who has at least over 15 years of experiences. If it’s that important for officers over 50 to pass the PAT test because they have to make sure they can do the physical aspect of the job, shouldn’t there be a PAT for FT certified officers who are also over 50 to do it? FT officers also graduated the academy 20-25 years ago.
FYI every officer in the commonwealth is suppose to take the PAT annually but it hasn’t been enforced .

·
MassCops Member
83 Posts
FYI every officer in the commonwealth is suppose to take the PAT annually but it hasn’t been enforced .
Never heard that. From everything I read the Physical and PAT are for new hires. Making this a criteria for keeping employment for the bridge seems discriminatory, as those of us who have been performing the job for years have already proven our abilities. Funny in the video the guys with the Grey hair are watching and timing the young recruits. I don’t see them demonstrating- LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never heard that. From everything I read the Physical and PAT are for new hires. Making this a criteria for keeping employment for the bridge seems discriminatory, as those of us who have been performing the job for years have already proven our abilities. Funny in the video the guys with the Grey hair are watching and timing the young recruits. I don’t see them demonstrating- LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree. How is it justified to compare the physical ability of a 28 year old to a 50 year old? And with the same time limit (which is around 160 seconds) and requirements.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
If you have a degree and reserve academy you aren’t on a waiver. Temporary waiver is for if your enrolled in an MPTC/SSPO academy or enrolled in a college degree program, but haven’t yet finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Font Electric blue Signage Sign Screenshot

I think campus / Hospital PD’s with guys who are working FT under the reserve academy are gonna be screwed over too and forced to attend a FT academy. That was my understanding. I hope I’m wrong.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
View attachment 10680
I think campus / Hospital PD’s with guys who are working FT under the reserve academy are gonna be screwed over too and forced to attend a FT academy. That was my understanding. I hope I’m wrong.
Your jumping a square, that’s for those with less than the 5 years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thinks it’s insane that some of us that have full time out of state academies and have been working under SSPO for the last 10+ years, now in our late 40’s early 50’s have to pass the PAT test to keep our jobs and are held to the same standards as a 25 year old. How ironic My son just got a card in his early 20’s and will hopefully be taking the pat test in the next couple months and dad in his late 40’s will be probably taking it with him and held to the same standard lol. Got to love this state.

·
Subscribing Member
4,376 Posts
I thinks it’s insane that some of us that have full time out of state academies and have been working under SSPO for the last 10+ years, now in our late 40’s early 50’s have to pass the PAT test to keep our jobs and are held to the same standards as a 25 year old. How ironic My son just got a card in his early 20’s and will hopefully be taking the pat test in the next couple months and dad in his late 40’s will be probably taking it with him and held to the same standard lol. Got to love this state.
If you have an sspo academy you don’t have to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, now they are saying as long as you work full time as an SSPO regardless of your prior experience or hours, you just have to go to the bridge academy. So guys who are just hired now, does not have to go to the full time academy anymore. But the older guys who has been on the job for years has to go to the bridge academy and do the PAT test.

so they basically screwed everyone who’s older and more experienced. Someone at the meeting even mentioned, 1/3 of the people are going to quit just because of the PAT test. Nobody responded to it. Nobody cares.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, that’s only for SSPOs that are working full time. If you are a reserve police officer, you will not be able to do that even if you may be working full time hrs or close to it. You will have to go to the full time academy if you don’t have the hours equivalent to 5 years.
The video did not have the best sound quality. But I heard something like campus police cops who are working full time now will be given all sorts of priorities in the bridge academy. (Like starting online courses earlier than your last name)

oh and you have 2 chances with the PAT test. If you fail both times, you are all done.
Fellas, when was the last time you climbed over a 4ft wall and go through a window? Lol

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Also, that’s only for SSPOs that are working full time. If you are a reserve police officer, you will not be able to do that even if you may be working full time hrs or close to it. You will have to go to the full time academy if you don’t have the hours equivalent to 5 years.
The video did not have the best sound quality. But I heard something like campus police cops who are working full time now will be given all sorts of priorities in the bridge academy. (Like starting online courses earlier than your last name)

oh and you have 2 chances with the PAT test. If you fail both times, you are all done.
Fellas, when was the last time you climbed over a 4ft wall and go through a window? Lol
Last week. She was HOT!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·

i didn’t see any reference as to limited tries at the PAT. Where was that from?

·
Subscribing Member
3,273 Posts
This is the latest from the MPTC in reference to POST and the requirements for the Bridge Academy...

MPTC Bridge Academy 2021–2024 Frequently Asked Questions September 17, 2021

DEFINITIONS:

Civilian Traffic Control: A non-sworn member of a police department whose duties are restricted to traffic direction, control, road construction details, parades, other pre-planned events that only involve vehicular or pedestrian safety and other capacities as determined by the Chief of Police that are not performed by Sworn Officers.
Law Enforcement Agency: a state, county, municipal or district law enforcement agency, including, but not limited to:
▪ A city, town, or district Police department, [Local]
▪ the office of environmental law enforcement, [Environmental Police]
▪ the University of Massachusetts Police department, [UMass Police]
▪ the department of the state Police, [MSP]
▪ the Massachusetts Port Authority Police department, also known as the Port of Boston Authority Police department, and [Massport Police]
▪ the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Police [Transit];
▪ Sheriff’s Department in its performance of Police duties and functions; or
▪ a public or private college, university, or other educational institution
▪ or hospital Police department. [College/University/Hospital] Law Enforcement Officer or “officer:”
▪ any officer of an agency, including the head of the agency; ▪ a special state Police officer appointed pursuant to section 58 or section 63 of chapter 22C;
▪ a special sheriff appointed pursuant to section 4 of chapter 37 performing Police duties and functions;
▪ a deputy sheriff appointed pursuant to section 3 of said chapter 37 performing Police duties and functions;
▪ a Constable executing an arrest for any reason; or
▪ any other special, reserve, or intermittent Police officer.
Police Detail: 700 CMR 6.02 – any uniformed sworn law enforcement officer and any official marked police vehicle on a public works project. *A detail is a privately paid assignment. Accrued hours of police detail time can NOT be included in the 2,400 hours for exemption eligibility. The only time that can added to the 2,400 hours is assignments of shift in the role of a police officer on patrol. Road Flagger: 700 CMR 6.02 – an individual certified by MassDOT, or a MassDOT approved organization, to perform traffic control services on public roads.
Sworn Member: A sworn member of the Department who is appointed as a Police Officer under M.G.L. Chapter 41, Section 98 or a Special Police Officer under M.G.L. Chapter 41, section 99.

ARE SPECIAL STATE POLICE OFFICERS [SSPOS] WHO OBTAINED A WARRANT BY ATTENDING A TRAINING ACADEMY RUN BY THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE POLICE ACADEMY IN NEW BRAINTREE EXEMPT FROM THE MPTC BRIDGE ACADEMY? Yes, SSPOs who obtained their official warrant from the Colonel of the MSP by attending the Massachusetts State Police Academy held in New Braintree, MA are NOT required to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy based on successfully completing and passing the comprehensive training program offered by the Massachusetts State Police.

ARE SSPOS WHO OBTAINED A WARRANT BY ATTENDING A TRAINING ACADEMY RUN BY THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE POLICE IN A LOCATION OTHER THAN NEW BRAINTREE ALSO EXEMPT FROM ATTENDING THE MPTC BRIDGE ACADEMY? No, only those SSPOs who attended the New Braintree training academy are exempt from attending the MPTC Bridge Academy. This is due to the fact that only the New Braintree site offered a comprehensive 707 hours of curriculum. ELIGIBILITY: All law enforcement officers who have: ▪ successfully graduated from an approved MPTC Reserve Officer Training Program; and ▪ have performed specific police duties and functions (not including assignments commonly referred to as police details) and, ▪ have not had an interruption or break in service greater than five (5) years, are eligible to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy.

WHAT YEAR AM I ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND THE BRIDGE? The approved MPTC Bridge Academy shall commence on or about October 1, 2021 and run through June 30, 2024. Pursuant to Section 102(d) of the Justice, Equity, and Accountability in Law Enforcement in the Commonwealth Act, “[t]he certification of a law enforcement officer who has graduated from an academy or training program certified by the municipal police training committee or the training programs prescribed by said chapter 22C [MSP] who is certified as a result of this section and whose Last Names begin with: A to H, inclusive, shall expire 1 year after the effective date; Certification expires July 1, 2022 I to P, inclusive, shall expire 2 years after the effective date: Certification expires July 1, 2023 Q to Z, inclusive, shall expire 3 years after the effective date: Certification expires July 1, 2024

WHAT IS THE TUITION FOR THE MPTC BRIDGE ACADEMY? There is no cost to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy; however, the officer is required to bring their own ammunition and issued firearm and the agency is required to supply a cruiser for the EVOC week including the cost of fuel (unless the agency can show a hardship).

ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MPTC BRIDGE ACADEMY: Sponsorship: Every individual must be sponsored by a law enforcement agency. Medical Screening: Every individual shall be required to submit an Initial-Hire Medical Standards Medical Examination Form signed by a medical doctor and dated within ninety (90) days of registration indicating the candidate is medically cleared to participate without limitations in the practical skills-based sessions including defensive tactics, emergency vehicle operation course, and firearms training.

Physical Ability Test (PAT): Every individual shall successfully pass the Human Resource Division’s Physical Ability Test (PAT) within nine (9) months prior to the start date of the MPTC Bridge Academy. The cost to take the PAT test is $150.00. The PAT must be valid (unexpired) as of the start date of the MPTC Bridge Academy. For more information on the PAT test and how to schedule please go to Schedule Physical Ability Test (PAT) for Fire and Police Departments For additional questions please email [email protected]. Completed Agreement and Indemnification Form: Every individual shall complete a signed MPTC Agreement and Indemnification Form prior to the start of the MPTC Bridge Academy.
Health Insurance: Every individual shall be required to provide proof of full medical coverage, which will remain in full force and effect through the entire MPTC Bridge Academy.
Firearms and Ammunition: Every individual shall be required to bring their own issued firearm and ammunition and have a valid firearm’s License to Carry (LTC) or make arrangements for the transportation of a firearm and ammunition for the firearms range qualification course at the MPTC Bridge Academy.
Cruiser for one-week of Defensive Driving: Every officer must have access to a police patrol vehicle for the week of training devoted to the Emergency Vehicular Operation Course [EVOC] also referred to as Defensive Driving. The MPTC will acquire twelve (12) police vehicles for use during the three (3) years of the MPTC Bridge Academy. These vehicles will be available at a specified EVOC driving course for any department that demonstrates a significant hardship in making a police vehicle available. The department will be responsible for the cost of fuel during the weeklong training.

WHAT IF SOMEONE IS OUT ON MEDICAL OR MILITARY LEAVE THE YEAR THEY ARE REQUIRED TO BRIDGE? There will be exceptions made for those officers out on medical or military leave. The appropriate documentation will be required but each case will be addressed on an individualized (or “case-by-case”) basis.

WHAT KIND OF ACCOMMODATION WILL BE GIVEN TO OFFICERS WHO ARE PREGNANT/BREASTFEEDING DURING THE TIME THEY ARE ASSIGNED TO ATTEND THE BRIDGE? There will be exceptions made for those officers who are pregnant or breastfeeding. The appropriate documentation will be required but each case will be addressed on an individualized (or “case-by case”) basis.

HOW DO I ENROLL FOR THE BRIDGE ACADEMY AND SIGN UP FOR CLASSES? Enrollment for the MPTC Bridge Academy will be done through ACADIS. Once successfully enrolled in the academy, the online course modules will be loaded into the individuals ACADIS account. All Bridge Academy Defensive Tactics, EVOC and Firearms classes scheduled through the MPTC staff and available by dates and locations. Only MPTC Bridge Academy attendees will be allowed to enroll in these classes.

CAN I STILL WORK WHILE I AM ENROLLED IN THE BRIDGE ACADEMY? Yes, as of July 1, 2021, all officers are effectively “certified” by POST and are eligible to work until the date their Certification expires and/or until they have successfully completed the MPTC Bridge Academy and, if applicable, have been granted an Exemption by the MPTC.

WILL I AUTOMATICALLY BE CERTIFIED AS A FULLTIME OFFICER UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE BRIDGE? No, an officer who has:
▪ Successfully attended and completed the MPTC Bridge Academy; and
▪ Has worked in the capacity of a law enforcement officer performing specific police duties and functions, including exercising the powers of arrests for 2,400 hours over a five (5) year period or other period where the aggregate number of experience hours accumulated is equal to or greater than 2,400 hours; and
▪ Has successfully completed the mandated in-service training requirements for each of those preceding years. With the agency’s Chief Executive Officer’s authorization, is eligible to apply to the MPTC for an exemption which, if approved, would exempt the officer from attending the fulltime MPTC operated or approved Recruit Officer Class (“ROC”)
Training Academy. Note: The official procedure for requesting an exemption for the Officer in question shall be initiated by the Chief Executive of the law enforcement agency that employs the Officer.

OUR SPECIAL OFFICERS WILL NOT MAKE THE 2,400 HOURS REQUIREMENT. THE WAY I'M UNDERSTANDING THIS, EVEN IF THEY COMPLETE THE BRIDGE ACADEMY, THEY WILL HAVE TO ATTEND A FULL-TIME ROC BECAUSE THEY DID NOT MEET THE 2,400 HOURS? If the officer has not already met the 2,400-hour requirement prior to attending the MPTC Bridge Academy, they will have a time period (yet to be determined) to complete the 2,400-hour requirement after successfully attending and completing the MPTC Bridge Academy. The officer must also continue to complete the mandated MPTC in-service training requirements.

SPECIAL STATE POLICE OFFICERS (SSPOS) COMPLETE THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE POLICE (MSP) ANNUAL IN-SERVICE AND NOT NECESSARILY MPTC ANNUAL IN-SERVICE. IF THEY DID SSPO IN-SERVICE BUT NOT MPTC IN-SERVICE DOES THIS DISQUALIFY THEM FOR THE BRIDGE? No, as long as the officer completed the required Massachusetts State Police annual in-service training for five consecutive years, that MPTC will consider the in-service training requirements met.

IF WE DID NOT DO THE MANDATED IN-SERVICE TRAINING, CAN WE MAKE IT UP? No, the mandated in-service requirement cannot be made up. Special exceptions will be made for those officers who were not able to complete their in-service training due to a medical or military leave. The appropriate documentation will be required but each case will be addressed on an individualized (or “case-by case”) basis.

WE USE SPECIAL POLICE OFFICERS FOR POLICE DETAILS ONLY. SINCE THEY WILL NOT MEET THE REQUIRED 2,400 HOURS, CAN WE NO LONGER USE THEM? Special Police Officers are considered Law Enforcement Officers by statute. As long as they have attended the Reserve Training Program, or in the case of retired Police Officers who have attended the fulltime academy and have been sworn in as Special Police Officers upon retirement, they can continue to work details until such time as their Certification expires provided, they continue to attend the required In-service training each year. Retired Officers presumably would have accumulated the requisite number of experience hours (>=2400 work hours). Part-time Reserve Officers or so-called “Specials” will need to accumulate the 2400 work hour total before (date to be determined) or they would be required to attend the MPTC Fulltime ROC Academy.

WHAT IF A RESERVE OFFICER THAT IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE BRIDGE ACADEMY IN THIS FIRST YEAR DUE TO A LAST NAME BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER A - H, OPTS NOT TO ATTEND THE MPTC BRIDGE ACADEMY, ARE THEY DONE AS AN OFFICER IMMEDIATELY? No, they can continue to work through June 30, 2021. Pursuant to the passing of the Justice, Equity, and Accountability in Law Enforcement in the Commonwealth Act on December 31, 2020, “[a]ll law enforcement officers1 who have completed a reserve training program on or before the effective date of this section [July 1, 2021] shall be certified as of the effective date of this section. Prior to the expiration of that certification, the officer shall complete additional training as required by the Municipal Police Training Committee. A to H, inclusive, shall expire 1 year after the effective date; Certification expires July 1, 2022 I to P, inclusive, shall expire 2 years after the effective date: Certification expires July 1, 2023 Q to Z, inclusive, shall expire 3 years after the effective date: Certification expires July 1, 2024

WHAT ABOUT RETIRED OFFICERS WORKING DETAILS? WILL THEY BE CERTIFIED? Special Police Officers are considered Law Enforcement Officers by statute. In the case of retired Police Officers who have attended the fulltime academy and have been sworn in as Special Police Officers upon retirement, they can continue to work details until such time as their Certification expires provided, they continue to attend the required In-service training each year. Retired Officers presumably would have accumulated the requisite number of experience hours (>=2400 work hours).

WHERE WOULD A FULL TIME CAMPUS POLICE OFFICER (NON-MSP SSPO TRAINED) WHO ALSO WORKS AS A RESERVE FOR A MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT FALL? WOULD THEY HAVE TO ATTEND ROC BECAUSE THEY ARE TECHNICALLY FULL TIME FOR AN SSPO AGENCY? As long as the officer attended an MPTC certified reserve training program, they are eligible to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy. Presumably, they would also be able to meet the 2,400-hour work requirement based on their full-time campus work coupled with their part-time employment hours. If not, they would be required to attend the next available MPTC Fulltime ROC Academy. 1 See Massachusetts General Law Chapter 6E §1.

WHAT ABOUT OFFICERS WITH NO IN-SERVICE AT ALL BUT HAVE THE WORK HOURS? An officer who has not completed the mandatory in-service training will have to complete five consecutive years of mandatory MPTC in-service training and have the requisite 2,400 hours of work prior to filing for an exemption.

HOW ABOUT AN AUXILIARY POLICE OFFICER THAT ATTENDED A RESERVE ACADEMY AND A 56 HOUR FIREARMS TRAINING AND IN-SERVICE TRAINING, WILL THEY BE ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND A THE BRIDGE ACADEMY? All law enforcement officers who have: ▪ successfully graduated from an approved MPTC Reserve Officer Training Program; and ▪ have performed specific police duties and functions (not including assignments commonly referred to as police details) and, ▪ have not had an interruption or break in service greater than five (5) years, are eligible to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy.

THERE ARE SEVERAL PART-TIME OFFICERS IN BERKSHIRE COUNTY AND OTHER WESTERN MASS TOWNS WHO WORK FULLTIME HOURS BETWEEN MULTIPLE AGENCIES. DOES THE TIME BETWEEN ALL THE AGENCIES COUNT TOWARDS THE 2,400 HOURS? Yes, all hours between agencies can be accumulated to achieve the 2,400 hours; however, only one agency will be sponsoring the individual for purposes of the Bridge Academy enrollment.

WE HAVE 20 AUXILIARY OFFICERS. THEY HELP ASSIST AT NUMEROUS COMMUNITY EVENTS AND WEATHER-RELATED PROBLEMS. THEY ALL HAVE THE RESERVE ACADEMY BUT ARE NEVER TASKED WITH FULL-TIME POLICE OFFICER CALLS FOR SERVICE. THEY ARE NEVER ON DUTY TO AUGMENT A SHIFT SHORTAGE. An agency can still use these individuals as civilian traffic control officers, but if they will never be able to meet the experience requirement, they will either have to attend a full time ROC academy or they will no longer have powers of arrest after their certification expires.

WILL THERE BE WAIVERS BASED ON AGE FROM THE PAT REQUIREMENT? No, the skills classes require a certain level of physical fitness; therefore, all officers will be required to successfully complete the PAT for entrance into the MTPC Bridge Academy.

IF A PART-TIME MUNICIPAL OFFICER COMPLETES THE BRIDGE ACADEMY BUT DOES NOT MEET THE WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT, CAN THEY CONTINUE TO WORK PART-TIME? Yes, an officer who successfully attends and completes the MPTC Bridge Academy can continue to work part-time for their agency while working towards achieving the 2,400-hour requirement until a date to be determined by the MPTC Committee. The officer cannot work in a full-time capacity during this period of time.

WILL PRE-ENTRANCE TESTING (COOPER STANDARD’S) BE REQUIRED? No, the only physical entrance testing required will be the PAT. There will be NO waivers on this requirement. The testing is done through an outside agency. The MPTC does not set the standards based on age.

WILL THERE BE WAIVERS FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE ALREADY ATTENDED A 56-HOUR FIREARMS COURSE? In-person trainings may be waived for certain qualified Student Officers who are currently MPTC-certified instructors in the specific subject matter area. In the interest of adhering to the standardization and consistency in the delivery of the training, no other waivers shall be granted

WE HAVE 2 FULL-TIME SSPO WARRANTED OFFICERS WITH THE RESERVE ACADEMY. TO BE CLEAR, THESE OFFICERS NEED TO BE REMOVED FROM FULL-TIME STATUS AND CHANGED TO PART-TIME? An amendment was filed at the September 15, 2021, MPTC Committee meeting to allow SSPOs to remain working in a full-time capacity. At this time, we are waiting for an opinion on this from EOPSS Legal and POST.

DOES A PARTTIME OFFICER WHO GRADUATED THE ACADEMY IN THE LAST YEAR NEED TO GO TO THE BRIDGE ACADEMY TO CONTINUE WORKING PART-TIME? If the officer successfully completed a full-time ROC academy, they are not required to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy; however, if the officer completed a reserve academy, then yes, they would need to attend and successfully complete the MPTC Bridge Academy to maintain their certification.

HOW DO WE TREAT THE OUT OF STATE MUNICIPAL ACADEMY AND FEDERAL TRAINED OFFICERS? Out of state or federally trained officers are not eligible to attend the Bridge Academy. Exemptions will be handled at a later date. Only law enforcement officers who have: ▪ successfully graduated from an approved MPTC Reserve Officer Training Program; and ▪ have performed specific police duties and functions (not including assignments commonly referred to as police details) and, ▪ have not had an interruption or break in service greater than five (5) years, are eligible to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy.

IF I WAS A BOSTON SPECIAL POLICE OFFICER NOW TURN SSPO FOR A UNIVERSITY AND I HAVE A LETTER FROM BOSTON POLICE THAT SHOWS MY TIME AS LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER THAT I PREFORMING LAW ENFORCEMENT DUTIES, AM I ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND THE BRIDGE? All law enforcement officers who have:
▪ successfully graduated from an approved MPTC Reserve Officer Training Program; and
▪ have performed specific police duties and functions (not including assignments commonly referred to as police details) and,
▪ have not had an interruption or break in service greater than five (5) years, are eligible to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy.

BEING A RESERVE POLICE OFFICER FOR 15 YEARS, 3 OF THE LAST YEARS AS A POLICE CHIEF I NOW HAVE TO ATTEND THE BRIDGE ACADEMY? Pertaining to specific rank, the MPTC is bound by the statute and does not have much by the way of flexibility. Therefore, pursuant to the passing of the Justice, Equity, and Accountability in Law Enforcement in the Commonwealth Act on December 31, 2020, “[a]ll law enforcement officers2 who have completed a reserve training program on or before the effective date of this section [July 1, 2021] shall be certified as of the effective date of this section. Prior to the expiration of that certification, the officer shall complete additional training as required by the Municipal Police Training Committee,” which includes mandatory attendance at the MPTC Bridge Academy and successful completion of annual In-Service Training.

IS THERE AN AGE REQUIREMENT TO ATTEND THE MPTC BRIDGE ACADEMY? 2 See Massachusetts General Law Chapter 6E §1. There is a minimum age requirement of 21 years old to be eligible to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy. There is no maximum age requirement.

DO OFFICERS WHO ATTENDED THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE POLICE RESERVE INTERMITTENT ACADEMY NEED TO ATTEND THE BRIDGE ACADEMY? Yes, an officer who attended a reserve academy at the Massachusetts State Police do need to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy. The hours of curriculum are not comparable to the SSPO training academy in New Braintree.

WHAT ABOUT HOURS THAT ARE VOLUNTEER AND UNPAID FOR AUXILIARY OFFICERS WHO ARE PERFORMING LAW ENFORCEMENT FUNCTIONS? As long as the individual worked in the capacity of a law enforcement officer performing specific police duties and functions, including exercising the powers of arrest, those hours count towards the 2,400 hours.

For any additional questions, please email [email protected]

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
So here’s an interesting thought.

They aren’t requiring “years of service” per se as a year is calculated at 480 hours. So one could have 2400 hours in day 3 or 4 years of working, if the town heavily uses said officer.

But then it goes on to say you need 5 previous (consecutive) years worth of in-service training. So in the end, you will need 5 calendar years as well as the 2400 hours?

Anyone else catch this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is an easy fix… everyone prior to July 1 of this year is good. If you are part time regardless of status you do the bridge. We are all cops regardless of what capacity. Full time requirement for everyone else past July 1. It boggles my mind that an out of state academy like mine 770 hours plus 4-7 years experience doesn’t qualify for a bridge or an exemption per the Mptc because I’m an SSPO, but a 300 hr academy does….

361 - 380 of 400 Posts