Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
321 - 340 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is so fucked, so those of us that attended full time academies out of state and took the test were granted SSPO and have worked like myself for 15+ years have to attend the Bridge lol. This all makes no sense to me, so I was good enough then but not good enough now, I guess it is what it is 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is so fucked, so those of us that attended full time academies out of state and took the test were granted SSPO and have worked like myself for 15+ years have to attend the Bridge lol. This all makes no sense to me, so I was good enough then but not good enough now, I guess it is what it is 🤷🏽‍♂️
[/QUOTE

And take a Pat which you have to now pass. Mptc was supposed to get fixed or eliminated with this bull making everything a standard. Appears they just want to stick the hands in a muddy everything you lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
And take a Pat which you have to now pass. Mptc was supposed to get fixed or eliminated with this bill making everything a standard. Appears they just want to stick their hands in and muddy everything up lol.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
The PAT went from suggested cooper standards in past meetings to simply the standard MPTC obstacle course. I wouldn’t stress it too much. From what I understand it’s pretty straight forward. 2:43 or something crazy to complete it. Prob be able to stop for a snack half way through it if you want.

·
Subscribing Member
4,376 Posts
I wouldn’t say it’s that easy where you can show up and pass it if you’re not physically fit. I’ve seen many people fail it. You have to move pretty quick and do many things, think it’s four laps around the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
I wouldn’t say it’s that easy where you can show up and pass it if you’re not physically fit. I’ve seen many people fail it. You have to move pretty quick and do many things, think it’s four laps around the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i May have been a little too tongue in cheek, but my point is, so long as you’re not grossly over weight or don’t have any lingering health issues (knees, back, etc), a good pace around the gym isn’t that hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i May have been a little too tongue in cheek, but my point is, so long as you’re not grossly over weight or don’t have any lingering health issues (knees, back, etc), a good pace around the gym isn’t that hard.
Then comes the issue of people like me who suffered on the job injuries that forced them to take the SSPO route. Good chance I get forced out because damage that car did to my knees.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m in decent shape (slightly overweight) lol. I think I can pass it I workout 3-4x a week but still this is insane I’ve had 3 on the job injuries over a 20 yr career. I now have to pass a physical and take a pat and attend classes for a job I’ve been doing for the past 15 yrs it seems like a huge joke but it’s not. Wonder if there will be any lawsuits that could possibly come from all this from the Leo side and the criminal side looking to get charges dropped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It’s interesting what happens to these permanent exemptions. A lot is being out on SSPO’s however, the MPTC grants exemptions too and aren’t they the same standards as the state police certification unit? So what happens to those guys/gals?

·
Registered
Patrol
12 Posts
It’s interesting what happens to these permanent exemptions. A lot is being out on SSPO’s however, the MPTC grants exemptions too and aren’t they the same standards as the state police certification unit? So what happens to those guys/gals?
The only exception for SSPOs right now is if you went to a MSP run academy and were trained by MSP you don't need to bridge.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
145 Posts
Then comes the issue of people like me who suffered on the job injuries that forced them to take the SSPO route. Good chance I get forced out because damage that car did to my knees.
I dont know about you guys, but if youre injured to the degree that you couldn't pass a PT test even if you were in shape, I think you should retire. It becomes a liability to other officers in the event that something goes south.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
I dont know about you guys, but if youre injured to the degree that you couldn't pass a PT test even if you were in shape, I think you should retire. It becomes a liability to other officers in the event that something goes south.
Ideally speaking this is true but it’s not reality. You have guys working on the job everywhere with bad knees, backs, muscle spasms, etc etc.

Sure everyone should look like you peeled them out of a magazine, but that’s just not the way it goes. Full time or part time. Tons of guys dealing with discomfort and pain on a daily basis. Still great cops at the end of the day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow!!!! While I do you understand where you are coming from I can’t agree 100% with you. How about those guys that work in the station as desk officers or admin officers like a detail officer or booking guys. How about those folks that have worked mid shifts for most of their careers and now are overweight and have medical issues but just don’t have enough time to retire. It’s not as simple as you think. People have families and need to provide its not that simple to just retire and walk away and do something else.

·
Registered
Patrol
12 Posts
If that is the case, that wouldn't be on the officer to retire. If the injuries and the reason they can't pass a PT test is due to the job, it would be up the PD administration to medically retire such officer with benefits.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,759 Posts
Not only that but going out on a 72% sounds nice, but I think it is 72% of you current pay step. Think about the trooper that was shot in the hand down on the cape a little while back. He was still on probation, so he get 72% of very little.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,755 Posts
Not only that but going out on a 72% sounds nice, but I think it is 72% of you current pay step. Think about the trooper that was shot in the hand down on the cape a little while back. He was still on probation, so he get 72% of very little.
Well......
As of 2020, the starting salary for State Troopers is $69,542. So any trooper who goes out on 72% medical will be taking home about $50K untaxed. That isn't very little. Especially if you realize 100% Disabled Veteran is about $5K less.....Just saying

321 - 340 of 398 Posts