Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
261 - 280 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will MSP still offer the SSPO academy since everybody will be full-time certified? I understand MSP will still certify SSPOs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Will MSP still offer the SSPO academy since everybody will be full-time certified? I understand MSP will still certify SSPOs.
I don't see them stopping. I am sure they make some good money off all the private schools that will probably continue to use it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think POST is really the way to go. We go by a different name here in NC, but it’s the same concept. Whether you’re a highway patrol trooper, deputy, city cop, campus, hospital, special, Capitol cop, wildlife officer, park ranger, etc, you’re certified by the state and can go to any other agency. Some agencies like SHP and big cities still want laterals to go to their academy, but that’s purely an internal policy issue. You could be a campus cop at the smallest college in the state, and your training requirements and certification will be exactly the same as if you worked in the biggest city.

My fear with its implementation in MA is that because of the huge hodgepodge of different training standards currently, a lot of places that employed sworn officers will cease to do so because they don’t want to deal with the time, money, or hassle of getting their officers fully trained and certified. Let’s be real, a lot of the 400A agencies in Boston should continue to employ sworn officers, such as park rangers and school police. Even a lot of the private companies that patrol housing projects and make arrests under 400 should still be sworn. However, I’m sure we all know that the city and the private companies are just going to cut arrest powers because they don’t want to deal with the cost of sending people to a full academy and the commensurate pay increases they will need to put out to keep people there.

On top of that, with the whole “defund/abolish the police” movement, especially in liberal MA, a lot of places are now going to have extra incentive to get rid of cops. If I’m the spineless, Bernie-loving, Prius-driving vice president of business, finance, food service, parking, rubbish disposal, toilet cleaning, and public safety at Dinkenwieler College of Liberal Arts in North Bumblefuck, I probably already don’t really care for the college PD, or even really know they exist. Now the chief comes to me and says “hey in order to be in line with the new state standards, we’re going to have to send all our officers to extra training over the next year and get them certified, please can we have some overtime money to pay them while they go through training?”. I’m sitting behind my desk and thinking “shit most of the students (or at least the loud ones) seem to want cops gone anyways, we’re broke as fuck from COVID and don’t want to pay overtime, plus how much do you fuckers really do anyways? My campus is so very safe and insulated from the world, nothing bad could happen here.” Then I’m gonna decide “fuck you guys, you’re now the department of campus safety, turn in your handcuffs and blue lights. Also have fun taking a 60% paycut now that you’re only security. My boss is gonna love me for saving all this money!”

The end result of all these smaller specialized agencies disappearing is that ultimately a portion of their work that can’t be handled by security guards (aka scarecrows since they don’t really have any power at all in MA) will have to be picked up by the state police or the municipal agency that holds jurisdiction. This is coming right when budgets are getting slashed in the name of “social justice” and the politicians are never going to vote to spend more on the police, since that’s political suicide and a one-way ticket to being called racist in a lot of jurisdictions, no matter how much the police department explains that they are having to take on new duties due to the disappearance of smaller LE agencies.

It will certainly be a circus.
The Boston School police are already gone. The Boston Schools were already working on getting rid of them, this just made it happen faster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good question.

Seeing as the SPMA/SSPO have ran concurrent for years now (without receiving a FT Academy because of politics) it is a possibility that they do away with a traditional SSPO Academy.

The only difference between the SPMA/SSPO classes was that they were provided with a Clery and Title IX curriculum which is roughly only 2 days of classroom.

18 weeks and 800 hours of pain to be locked and chained to campus policing. Ouch. Thank God for police reform.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't see them stopping. I am sure they make some good money off all the private schools that will probably continue to use it.
SSPO was provided FREE of TUITION if I remember correctly. The benefit for the MSP was on the backend (i.e SSPO licenses and fees).

Not to mention most SSPO/SPMA classes were a dry run for the RTT. (Often finishing just weeks before an RTT began)

·
Southern Campus Cop
148 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are 37 days past the alleged "deadline" and not a single thing has been said about the bridge academy, future of reserves, police reform, etc. I don't know whether to be worried or very worried the longer this goes with no information released.

·
Super Moderator
7,167 Posts
We are 37 days past the alleged "deadline" and not a single thing has been said about the bridge academy, future of reserves, police reform, etc. I don't know whether to be worried or very worried the longer this goes with no information released.
It's the Commonwealth...what did you expect?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I heard yesterday they the powers to be may have it set if you take the bridge academy it’s only good for your current department and if you were to leave for another you’d have to attend the full MPTC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I heard yesterday they the powers to be may have it set if you take the bridge academy it’s only good for your current department and if you were to leave for another you’d have to attend the full MPTC.
I have also heard this within my department, but it would seem to fly in the face of one of the reasons this while thing was happening. The point of the bridge academy was to get reserve officers trained up to the equivalent of a full-time officer and to certify them to POST standards. POST was then supposed to be transferrable not only within the state but with other POST states, at least that's what was told to me while I was in the reserve academy. But, it seems now that the powers that be may have other plans and may screw an entire pool of candidates.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
I have also heard this within my department, but it would seem to fly in the face of one of the reasons this while thing was happening. The point of the bridge academy was to get reserve officers trained up to the equivalent of a full-time officer and to certify them to POST standards. POST was then supposed to be transferrable not only within the state but with other POST states, at least that's what was told to me while I was in the reserve academy. But, it seems now that the powers that be may have other plans and may screw an entire pool of candidates.
POST in MA was never about our training being transferable to other states or vice versa .

It would allow us to participate in the national certification database, so decertified officers could not leave the state and work in another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mpd61

·
Registered
17 Posts
POST in MA was never about our training being transferable to other states or vice versa .

It would allow us to participate in the national certification database, so decertified officers could not leave the state and work in another.

But within that database, can't you transfer into states that use the database and take their state law test and become a POST certified officer without attending another full-time academy?

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
But within that database, can't you transfer into states that use the database and take their state law test and become a POST certified officer without attending another full-time academy?
Short answer is No, It’s a national decertification list. You got in trouble for “xyz” in MA so now, you can’t work here and we’re uploading to the database so you won’t be able to work anywhere else.

Reactions: kpf94

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Does anyone have anything outside of rumors? Why is this state so screwy when it comes to things like this? 😆

·
Subscribing Member
3,273 Posts
As of now, MPTC POST will consist of one certification; Massachusetts Certified Law Enforcement Officer. Part-time v Full-time certifications will not be differentiated, rather, one is either POST certified or one is not POST certified. Chiefs, Sheriff's, and Campus Chiefs have the discretion as to whether or not they will only hire officers with a full-time academy certification rather than accepting the bridge academy, however, that does not negate one's POST certification even if this was accomplished through completion of the reserve intermittent course coupled with a bridge academy.

Not allowing an officer to leave one's agency for another agency, once they are POST certified, would be contrary to the POST certification methodology. There are law enforcement executives that would like to see this in place to reduce their turnover, however, it has not been discussed formally in any meetings I have attended.

Other states have their own POST/Criminal Justice Training standards, MPTC cannot dictate which states can and cannot accept Massachusetts' training.

·
Back Out in the Sticks
332 Posts
“Let’s do a bridge academy so that every officer in the state is on equal footing in training. Then they won’t need to go through all the hassle of doing a new academy everywhere they go.”

“Are you crazy?? This is Massachusetts! Get the fuck out of here with that simple efficient solution bullshit!”

I swear, these people could fall in a pile of tits and come out sucking their thumbs. Why can’t these people tell the good idea fairy to shut the fuck up once in awhile??

·
75th N.H.P.A.
338 Posts
The only difference between the SPMA/SSPO classes was that they were provided with a Clery and Title IX curriculum which is roughly only 2 days of classroom.

18 weeks and 800 hours of pain to be locked and chained to campus policing. Ouch. Thank God for police reform.
I don't believe this is true anymore. There is now only one standard as far as POST is concerned: full-time officer. Whether trained by the Colonel's standard or MPTC's standard, they are supposed to be equivalent and acceptable to POST.

261 - 280 of 400 Posts