Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
221 - 240 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming that the bridge academy is only for those who are already on the job as reserve officers, or who have completed the academy in the past two years. Not those of us whose MA R/I academy has lapsed.
This is a safe assumption. We can only assume the first seats to these bridge-academies will be filled with actively working Reserves.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,713 Posts
That is the problem. Departments are trying to circumvent recruit academies by taking part time trained people with a bridge academy and making them full time. This is why they’re looking at this problem very seriously. Also read the law 41-96B. It’s kind of reminiscent when civilian inspectors in the Registry were merged in the MSP and almost all of them had no police academy training.
Why such a hard-on?
1. Doesn't your department exercise an autonomous hiring process with your own agency specific requirements and high standards?
2. Does what other departments may do under this "Bridge Academy" doctrine impact your agency in any particular way?
3. Do you not believe the Bridge Academy is intended to be a short term transitional tool?
The Reserve/Intermittent Academy is arguably DEAD. Relax my friend, it doesn't have to be so painful.

·
75th N.H.P.A.
332 Posts
Perhaps I should be more precise. I think the “automatic” initial grant of certification on July 1 requires the officer to be currently working as an officer. Those with the RI academy are eligible for the bridge. Those with exemption or waiver have six months to get their situation resolved individually.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,694 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming that the bridge academy is only for those who are already on the job as reserve officers, or who have completed the academy in the past two years. Not those of us whose MA R/I academy has lapsed.
correct... so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anything get resolved on 7/1 when the new reform was supposed to kick in? I saw the POST commission released some training document for de-escalation but have yet to see any official announcements anywhere other than the typical; “I heard from Johnny down the block” or “My coworker was in a training and heard from another officer there”…as far as I’m concerned that’s all wild speculation with no real truth to back it up, yet. If those hypotheses end up coming true then all the power to them, but until then I was just wondering if anybody got any internal MPTC/POST emails or ACADIS training announcements regarding the bridge academy now that reservists have allegedly been grandfathered and the track to get them to full hours starts.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,694 Posts
I don't know what you guys heard, but I just got fitted for my 16" Alden riding boots...😂

·
Registered
34 Posts
What's the good word ? Typical smoke and mirrors to try and appease the sheep and make them feel the state is woke?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Still a lot of unknown. I’ve now heard rumors of additional hours beyond the originally discussed 200 and the cooper standards to enter the “bridge academy”...

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend did a records request and got the MPTC minutes for April and May. Why they aren’t just linked on the mass.gov webpage is beyond me. Here are screenshots of what everyone here cares about.

Doesn’t look like anything is concrete, however anyone anywhere to my knowledge who has stated they “heard” anything contrary to the 200 hour model has yet to cite anything or show documentation. The model described here is basically identical to what the bridge academy was first described to be months ago.

The first batch of part timers (A through whatever) have less than a year before their grace period is over, the MPTC has no choice but to make this happen unless they want to put small departments across the Commonwealth out of business.

A82E72F3-2D87-4517-B06E-FAE6162AE85D.jpeg
BF4F4124-54DE-498A-BD01-6582DC516DF8.jpeg

·
Subscribing Member
3,265 Posts
As of now, the bridge academy specs and POST certifications have not changed. How and when they are going to be conducted is still being decided. Basically nothing new to report.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A friend did a records request and got the MPTC minutes for April and May. Why they aren’t just linked on the mass.gov webpage is beyond me. Here are screenshots of what everyone here cares about.

New MPTC Meeting updates have been posted; of note are the afformentioned information on Bridge Academies previously posted by Fatcop:

Bridge Academy - ED Ferullo: expects to provide a framework for the Committee to review next month. The goal is to provide a 200-hour academy, including 120 hours of practical skills training and eighty (80) hours of on-line course work with a test that the student must pass to graduate. The MPTC is considering several options, including having a la carte options and making options available throughout the state. ED Ferullo indicated there will need to be cooperation with the various departments so that trainings have adequate attendance. It will not be fiscally possible to conduct training that do not have minimum attendance requirements.

It may become necessary to consider alternatives to Fort Devens for firearm trainings. Fort Devens now requires municipalities to obtain $2 million liability insurance policies with Fort Devens listed as a recipient on the policy. ED Ferullo has begun looking for alterative structures. ED Ferullo had productive meetings with the sheriffs and with the constables. Sheriff Nicholas Cocchi will take the lead on data collection for the sheriffs and will work with the Acadis team.
(This is presumably regarding deputies being added to MPTC Training Cert/Licensing database)

There is a suggested infrastructure for the academic portion of the bridge academy. The next step is to determine how to facilitate the skill development courses. There will also have to be decisions made as to whether exemptions will be allowed for certain courses. There are ongoing conversations about the integration of campus police instructors into the MPTC certification program. There are also ongoing efforts to obtain additional training facilities for firearms and facilities and equipment for EVOC training.

Also of note is the PERMANENT EXEMPTION, prior to the July 1st grandfather date, of two officers who simply had SSPO/Reserve. One even had the 120-HOUR Intermittent combined with 560-HOUR SSPO from 2001! I am excluding their years of service here, as previously, before reform, even 20 years at a State-Uni would not grant Permanent Exemption

Also Fuck SSPO!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone know what MPTC or State Police want to do about DMH / DPH Police? There are a few SSPOs in both, and it is the opinion of some in AFSCME that because the reform bill does not mention the chapters of law covering them, they are exempt from the reform bill. Are they just done as SSPOs once it comes time to renew their powers and they see there is no bridge academy?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone know what MPTC or State Police want to do about DMH / DPH Police? There are a few SSPOs in both, and it is the opinion of some in AFSCME that because the reform bill does not mention the chapters of law covering them, they are exempt from the reform bill. Are they just done as SSPOs once it comes time to renew their powers and they see there is no bridge academy?
If those inquiring minds actually read the bill they would know that just because specific chapters and sections are not expressly mentioned does not exempt anyone performing the duties of a Law Enforcement Officer from being held to the standards of POST and the MPTC.

This includes DMH/DPH.

Also what nonsense is this about "done as SSPOs"? The authority granted to them will still come from the MSP as a SSPO Licensure, however, they will now also be considered fulltime certified by the MPTC and POST (meaning they can work for municipalities).

If their SSPO Licensure was granted via a waiver (think reserve + 60 college credits) they will be required to attend bridge academy to be up to standard.

221 - 240 of 266 Posts