Police Reality Shows Get Addition | MassCops

Police Reality Shows Get Addition

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Inspector, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

2. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Officer Deegan looks a little scarry. I do like the Dallas crew.

3. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

[​IMG]

Deegan scares me less then Smiley here.

4. lpwpd722

lpwpd722 Maddy B's grammy

I think there should be a support group for reality show addicts like myself. I tried to quit watching them but boom, they are on every channel now and the temptation is just too much. I can see it now:
    "Hi, my name is Lisa and i'm addicted to reality shows".

5. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

How about? ;-)

6. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

[​IMG]:bowwow:

Lisa, We're going to have to have an intervention for you unless you're just taking in the train wreck that these things are in an effort to appear less surprised at the train wrecks on the street. That could be considered training and you should put in for OT.

7. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I find it very hard to take some people seriously after they get them selves plastered all over TV. COPS was at one time a classic but these spin-offs? I don't know, some of these shows make me want to puke.

It's police work people, not a damn America's Next Top Model. Give me a break.

[​IMG]

8. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I think that the blonde deputy on "police Women Of Broward County" really hurt the image of female officers. She acted extremely unprofessional on the show and they portrayed her as this "bad ass chick." If you ever watched her in action she used to let her 6'4" 230 pound partner do the take down then she used to jump on top of the guy after he was restrained.

[​IMG]

9. Wiggum_1

Wiggum_1 MassCops Member

Hellooo Off. Mandy!

10. 5-0

5-0 Guest

Enough is enough.

11. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

If you want to be a cop, then be a cop. You want to be an actress, move to Holywood. These spin-offs will never be able to een touch the first season of COPS. At least that was real. This crap is just crap.

12. BigBobo

BigBobo MassCops Member

I wish they would show the unaired two weeks of COPS they filmed in Worcester

13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

COPS was good in its day because it was about the profession. It did indeed follow individuals around, that's the only good way to show what's going on but it wasn't about the individual in that car. The cop in the car was merely the vessel through which we saw the situations, sort of a Greek chorus.

Today’s shows are horrendous because they make stars out of individuals. That not only takes away from the show, it takes some credibility from the subjects. I fully agree with 263, if you want to be a famous TV star, go to Hollywood.

I just won't watch this shit. As far as I'm concerned, they aren't doing the job so much as mugging for the camera. Bullshit, plain and simple.

14. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

To me the absolute worst thing is taking a celebrity and putting him/her in uniform making it look like anybody can do the job.

15. Kilvinsky

I can't disagree with you ENTIRELY, but I'd actually rather see that than to see cops BECOME celebrities because of the job. I've said for MANY years that EVERYONE should be made to be a cop for at least 6 months so they'd understand the BS we gotta deal with.

To allude to another thread, the book "Signal Zero"* is a direct result of what happens when some academic wise ass son of a bitch thinks he knows EVERYTHING until he actually does the job. THAT'S when he finds out how things really work.

I'm happy to have civilians DO the job rather than those doing the job trivialize the job by becoming TV stars.

*I have NOT read this book, but I know it's background and I want to read it SOOOOOOOO bad. (Don't worry Delta, I won't ask if I can borrow your copy!)

16. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

None of those Police Women of wherever shows are any good. COPS is still #1 because it still focuses on basic police work, with which most people are familiar with and it's on free network tv. However this new genre of shows, especially the ones in HD are pretty interesting:

Texas Drug Wars (pilot episode only)
    Border Wars
    Cops and Coyotes
    DEA on Spike TV (no new season yet)
    Alaska State Troopers
    Gangland

17. csauce777

It still amazes me that the Troopers in Alaska see random guys with guns everywhere on the roads and turn their backs on them, and don't seem real careful. I know most of them are law abiding citizens, but it only takes one.

18. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Border Wars is cool, gives you real insight into what the BPA job is like...

I'm also a big fan of the Alaska State Troopers show. Those guys have their work cut out for them.

The DEA show I watched a few times, and it was awfully repetitive. It was the same thing over and over... Directed stop, handcuffs, get the guy to flip and have him call the "bigger dealer" and hook him too. Rinse, repeat.

19. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Ummmm, if you think police work is NOT repetitive perhaps you should pull your applications :smoke:

20. niteowl1970

The show "Campus PD" set the field of college policing back a ways when it showed a University of Cincinnati Police Officer pull over a UC student on a public way for erratic operation on a busy street. He gave the guy FST's (he failed) and apparently since the officer didn't have chapter 90 decided that instead of calling the Cincy PD to hook him up he allowed the student to call his daddy to come drive him AND the car home.

I understand that officers have discretion, but for an OUI an officer should exercise on the side of caution. He gave the kid a nice speech about how he could of had him arrested. I'm sure the crowd of students were impressed with the whole thing.

21. Kilvinsky

It's my guess that since probably 90% of the population is armed, if you treat everyone with a gun as a suspect, you end up with nightterrors thinking EVERYONE is out to kill you. I doubt anyone could last more than a few months on that job if you act like everyone with a gun is a suspect. Be cautious, and I'm sure they are, but be realistic. You can't hold Alaska to Massachusetts standards.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

I believe Univ. of Cincinnati have traffic enforcement powers. I saw that one and would guess it was no different than a lot of municipal cops have done around here, giving the kid a break, nothing more, nothing less. There being a crowd, he may have also averted a riot. NO ONE wins in a riot.

22. csauce777

23. csauce777

24. Kilvinsky

I dig that.

25. niteowl1970

I know what you mean, but for all the officer knows the dad could of driven around the block and gave the kid his car back. I just think people should exercise CYA at all times.