Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police pursuit through Boston ends on I-93

Enlarge this image

BOSTON -- A woman led officers on a police chase on the Southeast Expressway Tuesday after a domestic dispute, police said.

Two women were fighting inside of a car at Rutherford and Chelsea Streets in Charlestown, and a passing driver reported the situation.

Police spotted the vehicle and followed it through the Tip O'Neill Tunnel when the driver refused to stop.
While stopped in traffic, officials said the car backed into a state trooper's cruiser.

The car was eventually stopped just north of the Granite Avenue exit in Dorchester.

Sandra Howes, 43, was arrested and charged with failure to stop for a police officer.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO83131/

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Cops quell highway domestic dispute at 80 mph

Panic as car careens down 93

By Laurel J. Sweet and Marie Szaniszlo
Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - Updated 6h ago

A "surreal" police chase involving two women locked in a high-speed domestic dispute - the passenger screaming for help out the car window as the driver perilously criss-crossed traffic on the Southeast Expressway yesterday - nearly ended with bullets flying too, said one officer who helped save the day.
But then, the officer said, it really got weird.
State police boxed in driver Sandra Howes, 42, on Interstate 93 in Dorchester and drew their guns as she kept slamming her car into the SUV ahead of her in an apparent bid to escape. That's when the passenger, a "panic-stricken" 41-year-old woman from East Boston who during the chase had been screaming for help, now threw her body across Howes, calling Howes her "wife."

"She didn't want to see her get shot," said the officer.
It was only after troopers smashed out the windows of Howes' car with their batons and blasted her in the face with pepper spray that Howes surrendered her grip on the wheel and could safely be subdued, police and witnesses said.
"It was very close to a shots-fired situation," the officer said.
Howes will be arraigned this morning in the Dorchester Division of Boston Municipal Court on assault and motor vehicle charges.
Her criminal rap sheet includes convictions last Thursday in Fall River District Court for vandalizing property and assault with a dangerous weapon.
Howes was sentenced to 30 days in jail but was credited with time already served, said Gregg Miliote, spokesman for Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter. Her past brushes with the law include a conviction for disrupting a court proceeding.
Yesterday's pursuit began shortly after noon, when a concerned citizen in Charlestown alerted Boston police about a woman being battered in a moving car who appeared to be in danger.
Boston police spotted Howes' green 2000 Honda Civic on the Zakim Bridge heading southbound into the Thomas P. O'Neill Tunnel and began to follow. State police were waiting on the other end, joined by troopers who were working a construction detail on Columbia Road.
"It got hairy," the officer continued. Howes "was doing over 80, all lanes. At one point she had to hit her brakes so hard to avoid hitting another car, she kicked up smoke from her tires."
When Howes became ensnared in a pocket of stop-and-go traffic, police boxed her in behind Quincy hair stylist Alexandra Craig's Toyota. In a futile attempt to flee, police said Howes began ramming Craig's SUV and backing her Civic up into the cruiser behind her.
"All you could hear were sirens and police officers yelling commands: 'Get out of the car! Put it in park!' " the officer said.
But a wordless Howes, he alleged, "was not responding. In the heat of the moment, I noticed how deadpan, straight-faced she was. No emotion. It was just very surreal."

There are many photos in the Herald gallery. I posted one to highlight a point....

See the Troopers wearing yellow vests....THEY ARE WORKING DETAILS. Nowhere is this mentioned in the article. Instead of sitting idly by collecting their "high detail pay" they responded without hesitation performing their duty professionally.

They will not get paid anything extra. They did it because thats what Police do.

The flagman would still be standing on the side of the road, traumatized, with his hard hat spinning on his head after the car blew by him......

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driver caught in the chaos describes 'surreal' rescue

Boxed in and being slammed from behind on the Southeast Expressway by an enraged driver, Quincy hair stylist Alexandra Craig desperately needed a guardian angel yesterday. That angel - a cop named Kevin - rescued her from her noontime nightmare.
The courageous cop pulled her from her car, shielding her behind a Jersey barrier during a highway hostage standoff. Craig, 32, who is married "with two great dogs," tells the Herald's Laurel J. Sweet how fortunate she feels today.

http://www.bostonherald.com/galleries/index.php?gallery_id=1701&p=3#

Highway showdown
Mark Garfinkel
A Boston police officer shields a woman as police attempt to remove the driver from the car.
back | next

"It's all still completely surreal. I was driving home, minding my own business. I had noticed a trooper going by me, slowly. That was making other people slow down to avoid him as he cut across traffic. . . . Then all of a sudden I was boxed in by state troopers. I didn't know what to do. Get out of their way? Stop? I ended up stopping.
I panicked and started freaking out. God knows how many state troopers with guns were around me while this person behind me was ramming my car. Then an officer pulled me out. I was scared. Absolutely scared. But when he pulled me out, I felt so much better. He had me completely down and protected me. I felt completely safe.
"I got pulled over a (Jersey barrier) and pinned to the ground. I didn't even know what was happening. All of a sudden I was on the ground."
Police told the Herald last night Craig's hero is Boston K-9 officer Kevin Watson. The officer folded Craig in between two rows of barriers and shielded her with his body.
"He was just telling me to keep my head down. He just wanted me to be out of the way. I even had a little curiosity.
"I'm so grateful - so grateful - to the man who pulled me out of my car. I don't know what kind of danger I was in.
"He was so reassuring. He was unbelievable, but he left the scene before anybody else. I didn't catch his last name. I want to thank him so much. They (state and Boston police) all did such a good job taking care of the situation. They were amazing.
"The first thing I did was call my husband and I told him I was OK and had interesting luck on the highway. I was rear-ended a couple of months ago and friends are advising me to trade in my car - a Toyota 4 Runner - because it's bad luck. But it kept me safe. I'm not giving up that car. We've been through thick and thin."
Does she feel she had a guardian angel with her on the Expressway?
"I did, for a day, and his name is Kevin."

http://bostonherald.com/news/region...ught_in_the_chaos_describes_'surreal'_rescue/

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cops quell highway domestic dispute at 80 mph

Panic as car careens down 93

By Laurel J. Sweet and Marie Szaniszlo
Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - Updated 6h ago

A "surreal" police chase involving two women locked in a high-speed domestic dispute - the passenger screaming for help out the car window as the driver perilously criss-crossed traffic on the Southeast Expressway yesterday - nearly ended with bullets flying too, said one officer who helped save the day.
But then, the officer said, it really got weird.
State police boxed in driver Sandra Howes, 42, on Interstate 93 in Dorchester and drew their guns as she kept slamming her car into the SUV ahead of her in an apparent bid to escape. That's when the passenger, a "panic-stricken" 41-year-old woman from East Boston who during the chase had been screaming for help, now threw her body across Howes, calling Howes her "wife."

"She didn't want to see her get shot," said the officer.
It was only after troopers smashed out the windows of Howes' car with their batons and blasted her in the face with pepper spray that Howes surrendered her grip on the wheel and could safely be subdued, police and witnesses said.
"It was very close to a shots-fired situation," the officer said.
Howes will be arraigned this morning in the Dorchester Division of Boston Municipal Court on assault and motor vehicle charges.
Her criminal rap sheet includes convictions last Thursday in Fall River District Court for vandalizing property and assault with a dangerous weapon.
Howes was sentenced to 30 days in jail but was credited with time already served, said Gregg Miliote, spokesman for Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter. Her past brushes with the law include a conviction for disrupting a court proceeding.
Yesterday's pursuit began shortly after noon, when a concerned citizen in Charlestown alerted Boston police about a woman being battered in a moving car who appeared to be in danger.
Boston police spotted Howes' green 2000 Honda Civic on the Zakim Bridge heading southbound into the Thomas P. O'Neill Tunnel and began to follow. State police were waiting on the other end, joined by troopers who were working a construction detail on Columbia Road.
"It got hairy," the officer continued. Howes "was doing over 80, all lanes. At one point she had to hit her brakes so hard to avoid hitting another car, she kicked up smoke from her tires."
When Howes became ensnared in a pocket of stop-and-go traffic, police boxed her in behind Quincy hair stylist Alexandra Craig's Toyota. In a futile attempt to flee, police said Howes began ramming Craig's SUV and backing her Civic up into the cruiser behind her.
"All you could hear were sirens and police officers yelling commands: 'Get out of the car! Put it in park!' " the officer said.
But a wordless Howes, he alleged, "was not responding. In the heat of the moment, I noticed how deadpan, straight-faced she was. No emotion. It was just very surreal."

There are many photos in the Herald gallery. I posted one to highlight a point....

See the Troopers wearing yellow vests....THEY ARE WORKING DETAILS. Nowhere is this mentioned in the article. Instead of sitting idly by collecting their "high detail pay" they responded without hesitation performing their duty professionally.

They will not get paid anything extra. They did it because thats what Police do.

The flagman would still be standing on the side of the road, traumatized, with his hard hat spinning on his head after the car blew by him......
good point on the details, I'm all for them and this is a great example of how positive they are! But in all fairness, it is mentioned in the article...

·
Grand Admin Commander
688 Posts
Someone should send that picture of the troopers to Devals office and ask him what flagmen are trained to do in these types of situations. I am sure that the suspect would have immediately complied with the flagman's orders. After all he would be holding a 8 foot yellow and red sign that says stop an slow on either side.

G

·

No, no, no....the flagmen would have used their "STOP/SLOW" signs as a lance, valiantly jumping into the fray like the second coming of King Arthur and vanquished the bad guys. :rolleyes:

BTW....how many pages of recent queries is "SANSON" going to have by 6pm tonight?

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
BTW....how many pages of recent queries is "SANSON" going to have by 6pm tonight?
Sandra Howes, 43. The apparent heiress to the Sanford & Son's fortune.

Kevin Watson, great guy. Now if we could only caption that picture!

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
good point on the details, I'm all for them and this is a great example of how positive they are! But in all fairness, it is mentioned in the article...
Thanks! In my haste I missed that and I stand corrected. I'm actually glad it is mentioned. Good for the paper!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The first thing I thought of when I saw that pictures was the detail vests. Another reason to carry ALL OF YOUR gear on a detail. I saw some pathetic looking officers from a MA town next to RI wearing yellow shirts and guns today while on a detail. What if they were in this situation? Couldn't have even handcuffed the guy. Unlikely since none of the officers had handcuffs.

·
MassCops Member
568 Posts
No, no, no....the flagmen would have used their "STOP/SLOW" signs as a lance, valiantly jumping into the fray like the second coming of King Arthur and vanquished the bad guys. :rolleyes:

LOL.. Geez Delta when I saw it on BostonHerald.com I thought the exact same thing about the plate.

Understand that the "Lover's spat" was over who would be wearing the white dress at the wedding, the 300 pounder with 5 pages on the BOP or
the "Cute" one with acne and five missing teeth8O

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
Gotta love the video they showed on the news today. The passenger said the bruises and scratches on her face were from "police brutality" with the cops breaking the windows. The the cops pistol whipped the driver...the reporters reaction pistol whipped?? The passengers reply "yeah police brutality they pistol whipped her"

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
The first thing I thought of when I saw that pictures was the detail vests. Another reason to carry ALL OF YOUR gear on a detail. I saw some pathetic looking officers from a MA town next to RI wearing yellow shirts and guns today while on a detail. What if they were in this situation? Couldn't have even handcuffed the guy. Unlikely since none of the officers had handcuffs.
I know which town you're talking about. They look like bicycle cop polos.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Driver's lover switches gears

Alleges police brutality

By Laurel J. Sweet

Photo by Ted Fitzgerald
Sonya Centofanti-Howes, 42, fiancee of Sandra Howes, right, who was arrested following a wild chase along the Southeast Expressway Tuesday, claimed in court yesterday that her partner of eight years was innocent.

The fiancee of the one-woman wrecking machine who led police on Tuesday's death-defying Southeast Expressway chase now claims she and her accused kidnapper are victims of police brutality.
"She's innocent," Sonya Centofanti-Howes, 41, said yesterday of Sandra Howes, 42, her partner of eight years.
Howes is being held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing Monday in the Dorchester Division of Boston Municipal Court.
Asked how she came to have marks on her skin and a bandage on her foot, Centofanti-Howes, wearing a Hershey's T-shirt, snapped, "From the cops smashing the windows (of the car) and brutalizing (Howes). They pistol-whipped her."
State police spokesman David Procopio said Centofanti-Howes' allegation of brutality "is too absurd to even warrant a response.
"We are grateful that many people recognized the dangers that police face every day in protecting the public," he said. "The fact that the woman whom they rescued from a serious assault is not one of those people does not change the fact that state and Boston police responded with professionalism, restraint and no regard for their own safety."
The 5-foot, 3-inch, 300-pound Howes of Fall River pleaded not guilty yesterday to 13 charges including kidnapping and beating her girlfriend, failure to stop for police, and threatening state troopers David Nims, Jon MacKinnon and Jay Morris with her 2000 Honda Civic.
The charges even spill over to Boston Medical Center where Howes, while being treated for minor injuries, continued her rampage, spitting on hospital staff and assailing them with racial slurs, according to police reports. She allegedly told one trooper, as she laughed at him, that she'd had sex with his mother.
Howes had six restraining orders taken out against her by four different Fall River women between 1995 and 2003, records show. Her nine-page history of violence dates back 25 years, and includes convictions as recently as last week for assault, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and robbery.
Tuesday's high-speed highway drama began in Charlestown, where a witness told Boston police Howes hit Centofanti-Howes with the car during a fight and saw her then "physically pick up (Centofanti-Howes) and force her back into the vehicle," prosecutor Christian Young said.
Howes, Young said, was "clearly out of control" as she careened down I-93 south at 80 to 90 mph, a cigarette dangling from her lips, until she was trapped by traffic and subdued at gunpoint.
Public defender Holly Clarke conceded the couple "were having an argument," but suggested police overreacted to the lovers' spat.
"This isn't the Lindbergh baby," Clarke said.

http://bostonherald.com/news/region...er_switches_gears_:_Alleges_police_brutality/

·
Registered
779 Posts
Who cares bout the girlfriend??....what bout all the people she endangered during their spat??

Not sure how the whole kidnapping part was reported....but if she called for help and is changing her story post arrest I hope she gets charged for the false report...that old "I just wanted her to learn a lesson" crap is out the door considering her behaviour as far as I am concerned

·
Registered
601 Posts
She's lucky she didn't get shot..The officers did a good job, and showed great restraint. Anyone who saw the newscast was laughing at them. These newscasters always pick out these toothless, brain dead people to interview and they expect to me taken seriously??

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No bail for alleged highway hellion

Photo by Mark Garfinkel (File)
In this July 22, 2008 file photo, state police break the windows of a car that Sandra Howes was driving.

A Fall River woman who sparked a wild lunch hour car chase on the Southeast Expressway through Boston as she allegedly terrorized her girlfriend will remain behind bars until her trial.
Sandra Howes, 42, was ordered held without bail yesterday after a judge found that she posed too great a danger to be released before her trial, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office.
Howes is charged with three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault and battery, and one count each of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and various motor vehicle charges, all in connection with a wild July 22 incident on Interstate 93.
Howes, whom police say was driving between 80 and 90 mph at times, allegedly led cops on a chase while her partner of eight years, Sonya Centofanti-Howes, 41, screamed for help and flailed her arms out the window. Howes allegedly struck a State Police cruiser during the chase.
Yesterday, Dorchester District Court Judge Sydney Hanlon ordered Howes held without bail. She is due back in court Sept. 22.
Prior to the hearing, Howes underwent a 20-day evaluation at Bridgewater State Hospital, where she was deemed able to assist in her own defense, according to the Suffolk District Attorney's Office.
Centofanti-Howes told the Herald the day after the incident that Howes was innocent and blamed her injuries on police actions.

(15) Comments | Post / Read Comments

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1115443

1 - 20 of 20 Posts