Police pulling people over around 3 am at night - order from supervisors? | MassCops

Police pulling people over around 3 am at night - order from supervisors?

Discussion in 'Tickets & Citations' started by blackhyundae, Mar 22, 2020.

1. blackhyundae

blackhyundae New Member

This has happened to me now several times, and it is getting to me psychologically. Around 3 am, state police and some local police on Cape Cod start driving behind me at a distance, then come up tail gating at an unsafe distance behind me to intimidate, or drive around me on the left side and pull me over. It seems, they are being ordered to do this by their supervisors and are out to meet an unofficial ticket quota. Each time this happens, it distracts me from driving, and being questioned each time by a tense policeman is unpleasant. More than half of the time, the police look for defect of some sort to justify why they pulled me over - driving too slow on Mass Pike, having license plate light bulbs out, not staying in lane, etc.

Last time, it was raining after midnight, with no cars on the high way, as I was merging onto the highway, I see a state police cruiser with his front head light completely out shadowing me, pulling me over, saying, "You are driving like 45" and issuing yet another warning. I Googled it, and it is recommended that you reduce speed on wet road (it was also gusty and my car would shake periodically). It seems to me, the police are stopping me hoping to find drugs or some real violations, and then either justifying the stops with after-fact warnings or getting whatever they can get for their work performance statistics. All the time, I see state police cruising at more than 5 mph above the speed limit and more for a pleasure ride during their job, not showing a positive example.

This style of work on behalf of the state and Cape Cod police interferes with my constitutional right to drive legally wherever I want within reason, of course, and works against me being a safe driver, distracts and creates stress on the road.

The police also sometimes shadow me when I drive through rich towns like Newton/Natick/etc., and it again distracts me from safe driving as I have to watch a near tail gater in my rear view window, and be stressed out about minimal reasons the police can again use as black mail to stop or after they stop me.

I am a young white guy driving a small almost 20 year old family car, and I realize this fits the profile of a drug dealer or a low life and thus the police naturally want to stop me hoping to find drugs or prevent some crime. I have no problem being pulled over and questioned, however, once the police see there is no crime inside my car, they should politely end the stop, and should not be issuing a series of warnings and possibly tickets which make it harder for me to go about my daily life.

Driving on the road is a partnership, and I slow down and switch lanes before driving past a police cruiser standing on the side of the road for example to reduce chance of collision and alert drivers behind me. Same with road crew workers.

It's a shame that not only does one have to worry about being a victim of a regular crime, or avoiding a road accident, but also has to go about their life worrying about be a victim of the police ticket quota system or being talked to in an escalating and potentially dangerous way by whoever pulls you over.

I am guessing the failure here is at the state leadership and the police leadership, failing to promote and maintain safe driving, hiring people and getting those people to not be acting in a way consistent with the mission of the organization.

Stay safe on the road, and enjoy your drive..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

Oh, this should be good.....

Grant, zm88, Sooty and 4 others like this.
  3. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

I can’t tell if you’re kidding.
    upload_2020-3-22_9-2-54.gif

zm88, HistoryHound, Hush and 3 others like this.
  4. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

I don't know how your getting a mass pike citation on cape cod, but ok. Since you seem to have this figured, I want you to show me your constitutional rights to driving. The first line in the rmv handbook when I took my license was..."driving is a privilege, not a right". They aren't blackmailing you, it's not for a quota and their supervisors aren't ordering them to do it. It's usually new guys working the mid night shift who are out there doing what they are getting paid to do. I don't appreciate you assuming shit about their motivations of why your getting stopped, because what you just listed isn't it. Just like I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate anyone assuming the reason your driving around at 3am is because your in the drug game.

zm88, Sooty, BxDetSgt and 6 others like this.
  5. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I have to say that was an articulate and well presented post. You seemed to be pretty objective when it comes to realizing the circumstances (Early morning, weather, young, old car, etc) surrounding your interactions with locals. Perhaps to deal with your anxiety over this issue you should practice developing your own de-escalation techniques and/or manner in which you can better relate to, and establish a rapport with, the cops/troopers. You may have identified a pattern of driving between midnight and 3 a.m. Well, what can we say about that, it's certainly your right, it may even be a necessity due to employment or such.
    On the other hand, if you SERIOUSLY feel you have to:
    "go about life worrying about be a victim of the police ticket quota system or being talked to in an escalating and potentially dangerous way"
    Perhaps you can get some counseling. There are many health and community resources out there to address you needs. Certainly right now with the current Pandemic, they might be somewhat impacted by other peoples needs, but I'm sure they can fit you in. Meanwhile, the next time you get pulled over by the police tell them you are a member here on Masscops, and MPD61 said you're go to go.

Drebbin, HistoryHound, Tuna and 5 others like this.
  6. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Be honest . How many times have you been arrested? The corona virus has reached your brain . Please get the appropriate meds and get well.

QUOTE="blackhyundae, post: 1099781, member: 56981"]This has happened to me now several times, and it is getting to me psychologically. Around 3 am, state police and some local police on Cape Cod start driving behind me at a distance, then come up tail gating at an unsafe distance behind me to intimidate, or drive around me on the left side and pull me over. It seems, they are being ordered to do this by their supervisors and are out to meet an unofficial ticket quota. Each time this happens, it distracts me from driving, and being questioned each time by a tense policeman is unpleasant. More than half of the time, the police look for defect of some sort to justify why they pulled me over - driving too slow on Mass Pike, having license plate light bulbs out, not staying in lane, etc.

Last time, it was raining after midnight, with no cars on the high way, as I was merging onto the highway, I see a state police cruiser with his front head light completely out shadowing me, pulling me over, saying, "You are driving like 45" and issuing yet another warning. I Googled it, and it is recommended that you reduce speed on wet road (it was also gusty and my car would shake periodically). It seems to me, the police are stopping me hoping to find drugs or some real violations, and then either justifying the stops with after-fact warnings or getting whatever they can get for their work performance statistics. All the time, I see state police cruising at more than 5 mph above the speed limit and more for a pleasure ride during their job, not showing a positive example.

This style of work on behalf of the state and Cape Cod police interferes with my constitutional right to drive legally wherever I want within reason, of course, and works against me being a safe driver, distracts and creates stress on the road.

The police also sometimes shadow me when I drive through rich towns like Newton/Natick/etc., and it again distracts me from safe driving as I have to watch a near tail gater in my rear view window, and be stressed out about minimal reasons the police can again use as black mail to stop or after they stop me.

I am a young white guy driving a small almost 20 year old family car, and I realize this fits the profile of a drug dealer or a low life and thus the police naturally want to stop me hoping to find drugs or prevent some crime. I have no problem being pulled over and questioned, however, once the police see there is no crime inside my car, they should politely end the stop, and should not be issuing a series of warnings and possibly tickets which make it harder for me to go about my daily life.

Driving on the road is a partnership, and I slow down and switch lanes before driving past a police cruiser standing on the side of the road for example to reduce chance of collision and alert drivers behind me. Same with road crew workers.

It's a shame that not only does one have to worry about being a victim of a regular crime, or avoiding a road accident, but also has to go about their life worrying about be a victim of the police ticket quota system or being talked to in an escalating and potentially dangerous way by whoever pulls you over.

I am guessing the failure here is at the state leadership and the police leadership, failing to promote and maintain safe driving, hiring people and getting those people to not be acting in a way consistent with the mission of the organization.

Stay safe on the road, and enjoy your drive..[/QUOTE]

Joel98 and 02136colonel like this.
  7. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Next time, just speed up and drive as fast as you can to the nearest State Police Barracks, run inside and DEMAND to speak with a SGT Right A Way! It’s YOUR RIGHT!!

That’ll fix it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Sooty, RodneyFarva, Joel98 and 5 others like this.
  8. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Did all these police have their hats on? If not just drive away. They are not in uniform without the hat.

Sooty, LGriffin, BxDetSgt and 5 others like this.
  9. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

None of the stops were your fault? I mean you are in your forties and you have to consult google about how to drive safely. Time to man up , stop whining and take responsibility for your actions.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  10. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Do you deliver quantities smaller than a kilo? Asking for a friend.

Sooty, LGriffin, RodneyFarva and 4 others like this.
  11. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Nothing good happens after midnight.
    There are only two types of people on the road at 3 am... cops and bad guys.

zm88, Sooty, LGriffin and 5 others like this.
  12. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

This. And Boston Globe trucks.

CCCSD, Sooty, HistoryHound and 2 others like this.
  13. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

Bad Guy and Boston Globe is redundant

CCCSD, Sooty, HistoryHound and 3 others like this.
  14. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Over under on how many teeth he is missing. I'm going with 6.

CCCSD, Sooty, zm88 and 2 others like this.
  15. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

3 with 1 hanging

16. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

17. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

I am so disappointed I missed this

mpd61 likes this.
  18. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Cops reading the post... 303037B9-D5A5-4279-A3D5-CC5AC11DB750.gif

unnamedsource, zm88, CCCSD and 3 others like this.
  19. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Been a while since we had this kinda masscop gold

CCCSD, kdk240 and mpd61 like this.
  20. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

I haven’t been on here for a while...but this was great to come back to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant, kdk240, Sooty and 1 other person like this.
  21. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Well the OP was last here a week ago....................................:p

CCCSD likes this.
  22. JMody

JMody Special...

I got nothing... I legit haven't logged on here in years. Saw this in a Tapatalk email and had to log in just to say WTF!!!

mpd61, CCCSD, kdk240 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Sounds right.. he posted from a Harvard University IP - and they were sent home then.

CCCSD likes this.
  24. JMody

JMody Special...

Harvard.... it all makes sense. It was probably Hogg...

Sooty and CCCSD like this.
  25. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

Harvard i.p. address, humm. Maybe isn't there a certain someone who could look into this?:p

CCCSD likes this.