Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Police Plate question

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Curious EMT 
#1 ·
Do all police departments have cruisers with state or municiple plates.

I mean real cruisers, not POV's ...

I see this guy a lot of the time on 91 up near MASSPike who has regular plates and has either a sparked out crown vic (with tints, antenna, and lights) or is some odd sort of cruiser with "regular" plates...could be a ADA or something?

#3 ·
There is a Trooper in my area with Black stone valley plates(BV) on his unmarked. I think I have also seen him with livery plates(LV) aswell. You know the ones they are dark blue with all LEDs no markings. The others in my area with those cars have the standard MSP plate. My PD has an unmarked with a reguar green plate

#5 ·
More than likely an unmarked someone. Our Department has several cars with regular Red "Spirit of America" plates. One is on the chief's SUV that he takes home, One is on the Detective's CV, and the last one is on the prosecutor's SUV. All of these have some sort of lights, and they all have radios.

What you may be seeing could be the Sheriff... Maybe a Chief... a Detective... could be a Trooper.... or just some guy that thinks he is super cop but has no power at all.

#6 ·
SOT_II";p="70829 said:
I see this guy a lot of the time on 91 up near MASSPike who has regular plates and has either a sparked out crown vic (with tints, antenna, and lights) or is some odd sort of cruiser with "regular" plates...could be a ADA or something?
There is an outside contractor construction worker at my college who drives a vehicle like that. The first time we say it parked on campus (and the way it was parked) attracted our attention.

We thought there had been an accident at the construction site, or a building violation, as the Department of Public Safety's building inspector(s) drive a Crown Vic similar to that one.

Turns out the guy is a member of the Crown Vic Owners of America. These guys go Gaa-Gaa for the CV's.

Could be that that's your guy...

#7 ·
SOT_II";p="70829 said:
Do all police departments have cruisers with state or municiple plates. I mean real cruisers, not POV's ...
Smith College's Police Department in Northampton, Ma. is a fully sworn department. They have full marked cruiser...but as they are a private college, they do not have 'police' plates on their patrol units, they have commercial plates.

#9 ·
Sgt_110";p="70865 said:
SOT_II";p="70829 said:
Do all police departments have cruisers with state or municiple plates. I mean real cruisers, not POV's ...
Smith College's Police Department in Northampton, Ma. is a fully sworn department. They have full marked cruiser...but as they are a private college, they do not have 'police' plates on their patrol units, they have commercial plates.
NU has vanity plates NUPD XX and a few unmarked with reg. plates and my other chief has an unmarked explorer with reg. plates

#12 ·
I drive an umarked black traffic car with blue police plates, town next to me drives an unmarked traffic car with tinted windows and regular passenger plates. It all varies, plates don't mean anything. MSP uses Red Sox, United we Stand Plates, Blackstone Valley and whatever they want. And yes, I have even seen a Livery plate on an unmarked MSP vehicle. :lol:

#14 ·
bburkie said:
I have seen a trooper pull into the Scotland rd. barracks in Newbury with livery plates. Average joe would believe it to be a limo but the push bumper gave it away for me. Then of course the trooper in full uniform.
Thats what the tinted windows and LED lights are for. Plus, always check for the front plate and inspection sticker. ;-)

#15 ·
I've also seen Commercial plates on MSP cars.

Like mentioned above, they come in all shapes / forms / colors...

Has anyone actualy run a MSP (MARKED) or muni. plate? I keep forgeting to try it when Im working

Also, when you run a dead plate, does it come back "record not found" or however its worded when you run an out-of-state'er with no Ma history (A number), or does it actualy come back with some sort of listing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.