Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many candidates are typically interviewed per open position? Would being number 80 in Quincy ever have a chance of getting interview?....Thanks for any replies

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
The magic number is "3" Typically a department will send out 3 cards for every open position. So Quincy would have to be looking to fill 26+ spots in order for you to at least get a card.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the official way they do it is through the equation 2(n)+1. In other words, 2 times the number of openings plus one. Quincy puts a bunch of recruits through academies at once it seems. I went to the academy with 19 Quincy guys/girls.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Gil said:
The magic number is "3" Typically a department will send out 3 cards for every open position. So Quincy would have to be looking to fill 26+ spots in order for you to at least get a card.
yes but what about ties? If they are only filling 1 spot and lets say the first 2 (1+2)stand alone, but the next spot (#3) there are 10 tied? Would they send out 12 cards?[-o<

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sweet!!! I'm 24th on my town with a shit load of ties. Hiring 6. If they do it the right way, I SHOULD get a card!

·
Registered
174 Posts
wryman said:
Sweet!!! I'm 24th on my town with a shit load of ties. Hiring 6. If they do it the right way, I SHOULD get a card!
Not to burst your bubble........but the possiblility of the dept. jumping to number 24 on the list is pretty slim. That would leave them open to a TON of appeal cases @Civil Service in Boston. No town wants to be tied up in that with lawyers, resources,etc.....

BUT......stranger things have happened so ya never know :crazy:

·
Registered
150 Posts
What im saying is because of the number of ties Im actually 13th.(if that makes sense) By civil service laws I should get a card if they are hiring 6?:/:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am new a this...took the test for the first time and got #2 in my town. So, if they are hiring one I should get an interview right? Is that what "get a card means"?

And if they decide to hire laterally then they don't have to send out cards, right?

And how about MBTA does anyone know how many they usually hire?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am 8th in my town and pending DV status

question, with the criminal background check, if the only thing you have a DUI (military) Occurred in 2001 when you were 19, but have since corrected everything. How negatively will it effect your hire.

military dui =
i was never arrested
i was only issued a citation
i only went to military "Traffic Court" you and a Gunny telling you that you cant drive on base
i Have since corrected ( regained your driving privileges , went to AA, were punished through the military)

Hey, mistakes happen , and i was young so please dont start posting your opinions or comments, we all know how bad we all want this so i could do without opinions on what happened when i was 19 , back from saudi arabia for a year and feeling like i was a god in a humans body.

·
Subscribing Member
370 Posts
atrian , How old are you now? I think it's just a matter of how long ago the incident occured. Listen, if they wanted people with out any blemishes on their records they would need to find a computer geek who spent his entire life infront of the monitor but the person would have no life experiances to draw on when faced with a situation where a decision needs to be made.

atrain104 said:
I am 8th in my town and pending DV status

question, with the criminal background check, if the only thing you have a DUI (military) Occurred in 2001 when you were 19, but have since corrected everything. How negatively will it effect your hire.

military dui =
i was never arrested
i was only issued a citation
i only went to military "Traffic Court" you and a Gunny telling you that you cant drive on base
i Have since corrected ( regained your driving privileges , went to AA, were punished through the military)

Hey, mistakes happen , and i was young so please dont start posting your opinions or comments, we all know how bad we all want this so i could do without opinions on what happened when i was 19 , back from saudi arabia for a year and feeling like i was a god in a humans body.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it happened when i was 19 and im 24 now, so it is quite some time ago, oh and thanks for the reply :eek:ha:

"whats up bone diddlies"

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I don't see any problems with that. I know of guys/gals who have had worst in less a time frame and got on. Its all in what the chief thinks he/she will do what ever the hell they want and your situation doesnt warant and worry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
is there anything else i can do to help get myself hired....

I am no. 2 in my town will i automatically "get a card" if they are hiring?

G

·
Same here.. i am new at this too. I took the test and am number 5 tied with someone else. No idea how many my city is hiring. Is there a way to find out? Or do i have to call them?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Swimfins, If your department DOES NOT take any laterals, and are hiring, you will get a card. 1 job=3 names, 2 jobs=5 names, 3 jobs=7 names etc, etc. Other question, I believe if there is a tie it becomes a bit complicated. Say there are three people tied for number 1, I don't think they send out cards to anyone lower. The next lowest rank if that was the case would be 4. Swimfins, where you are number 2, there is no tie for 1. This all hinges on if your department hires and they do not take laterals. Laterals can be taken without calling for a list. To anyone looking for help with the Civil Service Law (Ch. 31), don't bother reading the book. It reads about as clear as a puddle of mud. You might want to call down to HRD and see if you can get an answer on the ties. Hope this helps.

·
Subscribing Member
370 Posts
I am ranked at 191 for Boston, tied with 42 others with a score of 94. The first person on the list with a 94 is actaully at the 191 slot (name starts with a "B"). I actaull fall at 197 (name starts with a "D"). The last tied person is at 232 (name starts with a "Y") so I think they do treat 1 score/rank as one person. I am guessing that the person at 233 is ranked 233 and got a 93....

·
Registered
150 Posts
This whole civil service situation BLOWS!! I'm trying to keep my chin up but its looking worse and worse. Thousands of dollars spent for college, first responder EMT training, reserve academies,LTC's, FID's etc. Never mind the money shelled out every two years for the exam! Then you get some shitbag who takes the test just for the hell of it and gets on a dept. the first try. I've been doing this shit for 6 years now with nothing to show! Tie's, no tie's, tie ends. Its all BS!!!!!:evil: :cussing: :FT:

·
Registered
715 Posts
What matters most is being near the top of the list. Man-up and enlist in the National Guard or Reserves, serve your country, and earn veteran status.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.