Police: Gun Fired At Troopers From Passing Car | Page 2 | MassCops

Police: Gun Fired At Troopers From Passing Car

Discussion in 'New England' started by kwflatbed, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Pfft, vests? How the hell am I going to pose and show off this hard earned, gift to humanity, physique, if it's obscured by some stoopid vest?

2. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I see your point Duece,

[​IMG]
    which one are you again? :yellowcarded:

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I've managed to make it over 20 years without suffering a heat injury, and I wear my vest every time I work, detail or not. If I work a road job in the summer, I keep a cooler in my car stocked with water and Powerade Zero.

Over the years I've worked with some people who I wouldn't trust with sharp scissors, never mind make a responsible decision concerning my and their safety.

5. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I hope this is taken the right way, I was thinking about so if you want to answer fine and if you want to tell me to gfms then thats cool to. Im guessing that the number of Officers killed each year in auto accidents is much larger than those killed by gunfire, that being said how many of you wear your seatbelts at all or everytime you drive?, or is it way to constricting or just a pain in the ass. Also why wouldnt a Dept make it policy to wear your vest ? Be nice its just a friendly inquiry.

6. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

I think the seatbelt issue has been well hashed out on MC before.

7. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

If you paid attention to detail, you would have seen the palm trees. Ain't no palm trees in Worcester.. nya nya....

8. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

IS THERE A CABOOSE SOMEWHERE IN THAT TRAIN OF THOUGHT OF YOURS?! WHY DON'T YOU CHECK FOR GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION AND SPELLING WHILE YOU'RE AT IT?!... IF IT IS WORTH POSTING ON A PUBLIC FORUM, THAN IT SHOULD BE WORTH POLISHING FIRST, WOULDN'T YOU AGREE?! :banghead:

Now, what was your question again? For a minute there I thought I was in the 'Ask-a-Cop' Thread. My bad, carry on. (just effin' with ya Seven). :teeth_smile:

9. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

My department has a policy on both.

If you're wearing a uniform while working the street, then you SHALL wear your vest, otherwise you don't work the street.

If you're driving in any department vehicle, you SHALL wear your seatbelt. The only time you're allowed to take it off is during a tactical situation or riding through "the hood" and can articulate why you don't need it. Otherwise, if you crash and are hurt, the city doesn't have to cover you if they don't want to because you were out of policy.

Do officers everywhere make that choice not to wear the vest or seatbelt, of course. The problem with that is if something happens in a bad crash or a shooting where they're hit, a fellow officer has to rescue them and maybe have to tell their loved ones what happened the them. No one should be put in that position if it didn't have to happen. (And that's a big if.)

10. cc3915

cc3915 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I've always been impressed how the departments out your way get it right LONG before the ideas are even considered here in the east. From the latest equipment and technology to proper policy, you guys get it done.

Maybe it's a case of "tradition" or the "that's the way we've always done it" mentality that keeps us behind the left coast in so many areas.

11. 7costanza

Thanks LACopper.....thats all, I was just wondering. Where I work its like that, but im in NO way comparing the 2 fields..justs wondering thats all...Garda hurt my feelings with his post, big meanie.

12. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

My department requires use of the seatbelt at all times, and I wear it all times, except for the 5 seconds before the vehicle comes to a stop during a traffic stop.

The vest is optional, although they provide them to everyone (though some are out of date, Doh!). Most guys I know wear them while on uniformed duty, while fewer wear them on details. Virtually no one in plainclothes units ever wear a vest unless they are on a raid, but their duties are significantly different from ordinary patrol and they drive unmarked cars.

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I always wear my seatbelt, even if it's just moving the cruiser to my car to load my gear after roll call. The only time I don't is at the end of a pursuit when the car is slowing down (<10mph) I'll unclick the belt, but hold it until I see the car door fly open. If they accelerate away, I click the belt back in place.

I've never understood cops who wear their vest but not a seatbelt, considering how much more likely we are to get in a traffic crash than be shot. I work with someone who has a nasty scar on his face from kissing the windshield in a crash that reminds me why I always wear it.

14. 7costanza

Thank you, this is really the point I was trying to hit on...if maybe to get one of you to wear your belt.

15. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

I wear my seatbelt so I have to hear the god awful "ding, ding ding" sound:redcarded:

16. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

I knew you wouldn't take my attempt at humor for anything but that bro. :thumbs_up:

My short answer to these questions, whether I'm being asked about wearing body armor or a seatbelt while on duty is this...

If it is likely to increase my chances of a 'natural death', in contrast to an unnatural one
    (which is caused by active intervention such as homicide or accident), then I'm all for it.
    Would Death by Guinness be considered natural? :beer_yum:

Each of us may already be written into that Big Book in the sky, not knowing what page or chapter yet, but I'm not gonna help fate put me there any quicker.

17. 263FPD

263FPD Well-Known Member

I know one thing, it couldn't have been a flagman. All of those flagmen are fine upstanding citizens who in no way would ever be involved in any sort of criminal activity.:rolleyes:

18. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Agreed.

Plus, the belt keeps me firmly in my seat and prevents me from sliding around if I have to haul ass with blue lights from point A to point B.

Call me crazy, but even if someone bolts from the car, I'm not chasing them unless I'm 100% sure there's no one else in that car--which means I'm clearing the car first, and giving Mr. Runner enough of a lead that I'm unlikely to catch him.

19. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

That should go without saying; we've always trained that way because it's the smart thing to do. Hopefully other responding units will be there to help catch the runner, or at least, help set up a perimeter.

20. BLUE BLOOD

BLUE BLOOD ...---...

G, I'm disappointed, don't fear the reaper man, all this talk about vests and seatbelts, as Jim Morrison said NO ONE HEAR GETS OUT ALIVE. ;)

21. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Garda, Guinness is the drink of life. No harm can come from its consumption.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

22. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

With regard to vests, the one time I didn't think I was gonna need it on a 3AM detail, I ended up doing a felony stop. That made me a believer, so i'm pro vest at all times on duty and at the range. I don't want to hear any of you girly men crying about it either, unless you have moobs and in that case hit the gym! Just imagine how comfortable it is to have your troops all crushed down in that vest and no, they never make enough room no matter how obscenely detailed the measurement.

Just wear the damn thing and quite your bitchin'! Also, stock up on the green powder, it's getting hot out!

23. 7costanza

It helps if you put on the Manzier first.

24. cc3915

cc3915 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I thought it was called a "Bro".

25. 7costanza

To ethnic.