Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1421 - 1440 of 1471 Posts

· Public Trough Feeder
5,192 Posts
Now officers are threatening to picket next month's National Governors Association meeting in Boston, where Patrick will play host to his Republican and Democratic counterparts for three days.
I hope some of us plan on going.

Print and post at your station: Massachusetts Municipal Police Coalition

I plan on being at the Friday 7/9 event...Italian Sausage...mmmm

· Public Trough Feeder
5,192 Posts
Hmmmmm, if you look at the break down, they are saying that they are paying some flaggers between $1.00 and $5.00 an hour.....

Soooo, they are paying below min wage = illegal, or the flaggers are illegal immigrants working for that low of pay = illegal.........

And Who in their right mind would stand at a road job for $1.00 hour?
Like I said, if their going to hire convicts anyways, they may as well hire sex offenders and make them register and post their work locations on the sex offender registry: Middle of route 1, brakedown lane of Route 24...

I'm sure a few citizens won't mind "taking the hit..."

· Premium Member
6,290 Posts
Hmmmmm, if you look at the break down, they are saying that they are paying some flaggers between $1.00 and $5.00 an hour.....

Soooo, they are paying below min wage = illegal, or the flaggers are illegal immigrants working for that low of pay = illegal.........

And Who in their right mind would stand at a road job for $1.00 hour?
Then there is Rte 116 Adams officer $34 flagger $40 savings $560. Savings? Huh? How do they figure that one? A first grader can tell you that if you pay $40 for something that could have cost $34 you didn't save money.

Pulaski Blvd Bellingham officer $40 flagger $43.50 savings $814. Again.... huh?

Rte 62 Hubbardston officer $40 flagger $40 savings $120. Brighton St Somerville offiver $40 flagger $40 savings $40. Looks like a draw to me. Just a tip for the folks doing the calculations 1-1=0.

I want to see the payroll records for any job where the flagger made $30 or less an hour. Especially the ones where the flaggers were only making $1 or $5 an hour. The last time I checked minimum wage was around $8.50 & we all know there is no way in hell that they have people working that job for minimum wage. They'd have to be stupid, high or illegal. It's more cost effective to stay on welfare than work for minimum wage. If they don't have the numbers; then, they should note N/A & not include that in their "savings" calculations.

· Registered
17,743 Posts
I love all the overpayment and bad math. I also love the one dollar jobs WTF is that?

They must be embarrassed to put down what they really paid ($53.45)

Once again the evidence shows we were right.

· Premium Member
6,290 Posts
I love all the overpayment and bad math. I also love the one dollar jobs WTF is that?

They must be embarrassed to put down what they really paid ($53.45)

Once again the evidence shows we were right.
Evidence, schmevidence. You don't need facts when flawed logic, faulty math and manipulated statistics prove your point. You could have the flaggers holding signs showing people how much more they are costing and sheeple will still think that they are saving money.

· MassCops Angel
121,617 Posts
Roadblock to Reform

BY BEVERLY FORD NEW ENGLAND CENTER FOR INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING
Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:44 AM EDT

[HR][/HR]

A flagger handles traffic as construction continues along Pond Street in Norfolk during July. (File photo by Tom Magurie)

[HR][/HR]
When Massachusetts became the last state in the nation to approve the use of civilian flaggers on its roads in 2008, Joshua Elgart saw an opportunity to start a business providing the very flagmen the state would need.

Today, almost three years later, his company, MA Traffic Control in Framingham, has yet to sign its first flagging contract. American Flagging and Traffic Control in Salem, N.H., placed only two flaggers on Bay State roads this year and New England Flagger Services in Willimantic, Conn., has given up trying.

"We assumed by being one of the only businesses in Massachusetts on the forefront of an industry with zero competition, it was the ideal business, but it didn't pan out," a disappointed Elgart said.

The reason it hasn't for Elgart and other flagging companies like his, critics say, is because the state regulation allowing the use of flaggers on road jobs is stacked in favor of police.

Roadblock to Reform - The Sun Chronicle Online - News

On local roads, flaggers are far and few

BY PATRICK ANDERSON SUN CHRONICLE STAFF
Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:44 AM EDT

[HR][/HR]
Drivers searching for the civilian flaggers state officials credit with saving taxpayers $23 million since 2008 haven't found many of them on Attleboro area roads.

A review of 13 area state highway projects either under way or just finished found only three have used flaggers during construction.

And far from jumping at the opportunity to replace police details with flaggers, municipal leaders here, like the vast majority of their colleagues across the state, have not been tempted to use them on local road projects.

"I've done what we've always done and scheduled police details," Attleboro Public Works Superintendent John Clover said. "Right now, when I'm out on the road, I'd just as soon have the Attleboro police out there."

On local roads, flaggers are far and few - The Sun Chronicle Online - News

· Lemme take a selfie
5,823 Posts
They don't use them because...
1. A whole bunch are criminals
2. Someone goes blowing through a construction zone, what the hell are they gonna do? Use harsh language?
3. Stating there is a cost "savings" is about as accurate as a 5 year old with a compound bow. The people who run companies are usually pretty intelligent, therefore they understand that there is zero savings, a higher risk, and greater liability. What's better: Flashing blue lights and someone who can stop cars, or an ex-con with a cigarette in his hand with a hard hat and a stop sign?

Flaggers are dumb. The math DOES NOT WORK, and it was a clear attempt from Deval the asshole against law enforcement... Everybody knows it except for the liberal moonbat media who make a feeble attempt every friggin' time to convince the sheeple that it's a good idea. It's getting pretty repetitive. We all know the lib agenda is anti cops, pro criminals, so give it up. Your investigative think-tanks are comprised of Harvard "scholars" who at this point in time... Are really tarnishing what used to be a stellar reputation for the ivy league school. Now it looks like only buffoons graduate with a mind full of liberal mush, clearly demonstrating that they don't teach anything useful there, they just perform lobotomies on students.

· Registered
17,743 Posts
States Like NH are weaning away from flagger usage that I see. Several years ago when my brother first moved to NH. I used to see a fair amount of Flaggers on Details foe every 5 3-4 would be flaggers. Now I would say I have seen for every 5, 3-4 are Police details.

If I remember Right Sal DiMasi the guy that is going to prison for F-ing over the state on corruption charges had a distant family member or buddy that owned a flagman company.

· Premium Member
6,290 Posts
States Like NH are weaning away from flagger usage that I see. Several years ago when my brother first moved to NH. I used to see a fair amount of Flaggers on Details foe every 5 3-4 would be flaggers. Now I would say I have seen for every 5, 3-4 are Police details.

If I remember Right Sal DiMasi the guy that is going to prison for F-ing over the state on corruption charges had a distant family member or buddy that owned a flagman company.
Wasn't dimasi's brother or brother-in-law with the flagging business? I would much rather see a police officer at a construction site for a number of reasons. And, since the liberals love to point out that WE are paying for the detail; then, I would appreciate getting value for what we are paying for. So for the same reason I don't buy Chinese knockoffs when I shop, I don't want to see flaggers and their feeble attempts at traffic control.

1421 - 1440 of 1471 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.