Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Police Detail News (merged Threads)

195K views 1K replies 208 participants last post by  topcop14 
Re: Police Detail slashed in transportation refrom pitch

Here comes the merger! Stand by to stand by

I can see the headlines now in the Boston Herald. "Route 1 in Foxboro closed due to 57 Flagman/women assaulted at Sunday's NE Patriots game by unruly NY Jets fans. The game started yesterday(Sunday) at its posted time of 1:15pm and ended at 3:45 pm. The last vehicle a NY Jets tour bus finally left parking lot P-10 at 6:45 pm today (Monday). Traffic delays for over 26 hrs caused unruly fans to exit the bus where they were confronted by a 400lb man waiving an orange flag. The man tried to get on the bus and finish off a plate of nachos he saw in the bakground when he was then assaulted by the fans. The flagman some how called for back-up which took up to four hours to get there to assist. Upon arriving at the scene the other 56 400lb Flagman/women(driving Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey clown cars) were also assaulted due to the fact they tried to get at the same plate of nachos. Rte 1 was open several hours later and a law was passed that week banning nachos from all future NE Patriots games". To all of my brother/sisters in blue we must unite and stand together on this issue. We must fight for our livelyhoods and defeat this crap. Stay safe and lets do the right thing!
If there is a public hearing, we must have as many attend as possible. This smells of a backroom deal between the powers that be and unless we stand together on this, details will become a thing of the past.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Keep focused people, this is about politicians using some flim-flam spin to "save" money, which we all know will really not save any money, and it will take cops off the streets. It about appealing to many voters jealousy and hatred of police officers, while actually accomplishing nothing but making workzones less safe. An ancillary benefit to the pols is that they are now free to start flagmen businesses to fill the void left by stripping police officers of gainful extra employment. Flagmen businesses that will soon cost as much or more than police officers, yet have none of the benefits of additional police officers on the streets.

Do the politician realize that the reason that law-enforcement jobs are so competitive in Mass, is because we can earn a decent living doing it. Take that away and soon you have just another state scrambling to fill underpaid police jobs, as good police officers move to more friendly climates, environments or leave to get better-paid jobs. In the end, you get what you pay for, and if you want to see quality law enforcement take a nose dive, support this measure.
It is a valid point. Think about it. Massport has their own PD, MBTA has theirs. We run the airtport and the pike. What happens to Massport PD and MBTA as far a jurisdiction? Will they keep their respective areas or are there other plans in the works that have not yet been revealed. This detail move came as a big suprise and a merger, in the politician's eyes would save money. I wouldn't rule it out and keep an open mind.

"Then stop talking on your cellphone and looking like a slob in my State.

Jerk."

Oh....here we go....after you guys get done saving Massachusetts, can you turn my bread into fish and my water into wine? That would be great...thanks.....

I can't wait until you guys are riding trains!!!

"That's fine. So do I. HOWEVER, you don't see me slinging feces at other departments or board members on here. How old are you?"

I'll be 29 tomorrow actually.....thanks.....remember, my bread into fish and my water into wine.....your the best!!
I can't wait either. More funding, details, grant money and patrol area for us.

Thank you, Mister Widmer for at least being honest; this is but the first step onto a very slippery slope and must be fought tooth and nail.

Also, I hope the leadership of SPAM realizes the whole foolishness with "high speed" and "low speed" roads is an amateurish attempt to fracture union opposition.

Today, low speed roads.

Tomorrow, high speed roads.

Divide and conquer.
:confused: ????????????????

Sorry to have mislead you, we contacted MSP, to notify them that we handle all the calls for service, so if a detail is needed on the roadway then we should get first preference. Basically it fell on deaf ears, I am sure to the enjoyment of the troops.

I never stated that because of this we would not patrol the roadway. We still do, because the MSP rarely does. If no one patrolled the roadway I am sure we would have more MVA's, etc. Basically it is just salt on the wound we we bust our butt and do not get first crack.
Must be Bourne PD! I have no problem sharing details on state roads that you locals assist on but WHERE THE F@@K is the reciprocation????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CALL THE SHERIFFS when you need extra bodies to fill details, not us. Is that fair? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPAM should protect our backsides first and formost because no one else sure will.

Hey Tanto,

Let us not assume. No problem sharing?? How about when I book all the MVA's, take all the DMV's, erratics, monitor the roadway, you MSP gets the details, read above about my detail with your detail officers, I see no love there. Should I share with you (MSP)??

You got a problem with BPD take it up with them, stop by when the are working a detail and talk to them, or better yet have someone contact their union leadership. I have and continue to stop on a MSP detail to speak with the foreman when I feel my department should get preference. I even speak with the Trooper to tell them why, sometimes they understand, sometimes they don't. At least I speak my mind and give them the courtesy to speak theirs.

The fact of the matter is, as you stated so eloquently, you are going to look out for your union members I will look out after mine. This conversation is going no where. As I stated before who ever maintains the roadway should get first preference. I do not understand how anyone can disagree with that.

With that being said I am still going to red line it if I hear you calling for help over the scanner.
The fact of the matter is that I have seen details that could have gone to us when a local dept. has exhausted their list and gone to the neighboring towns but instead, more out of spite or dislike for us, go to the sheriffs. When we cannot fill a detail, we usually call the local dept. for that strech of roadway before we call the sheriffs or EPOs. Rte 1 in Foxboro is a joint venture. It is our road, but due to the desk and two scenario, we could not handle all calls for service. We had no choice but to call Foxboro for assistance. Now, instead of wanting to share the work FPD wants it all. Is that fair? I don't think so. No problem here splitting the work but I do have a problem with local depts. who want to crap on our boots!

I am about to make myself the least popular person on this site, but what the hell. I have made an argument or two on another post and got my balls kicked in by just about everyone save a few. I stated the Boston PD were under "siege" by various agencies in Boston, made a list, some added to it, never mentioned details. If I mentioned details I am sure I would have been really beaten up. But some of the same arguments made here, by some of the same people, seem to run counter to what they responded to on the other post. Simply stated....your road, you handle the calls, you get the details. Whether another agency responds...doesnt matter. Not enough cops/ and or troopers....call to the next barracks or station. I wouldnt dream of taking a detail on a state road, college campus or anywhere else where it belongs to someone else. I cant even remember when a detail carried me over to another district.
Maybe I am just not making myself clear.I have no problem if Rte 1, 28 or any state road that the calls for service are handled by both us and the local dept and the work is SHARED out of FAIRNESS. The manpower issue is due to funding, which is out of our hands. Because of that, our work is constanly being given away. The issue again I have is why can't there be a MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING of this. Instead, it comes down to " we handle the calls because the SP doesn't, why shouldn't we get ALL the details on THEIR road. The real question should be " Its their road, but we help them out, therefore the details should be shared." If we don't handle any callson that road, even if it id a state road, then we shouldn't expect thje work. The issue here is not details but one of MUTUAL RESPECT. If you have a problem with that then, in my opinion, you are either greedy or hate th SP period.

You can't have a mutual understanding when it comes to work jurisdictions. It just doesn't work. How can you share the perks, i.e. details (can one explain why details are called "lucrative" sometimes I truly believe that details have ruined policing in this state) if it is not clearly defined whose jurisdiction it is. Maybe the MSP can have the details Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Foxboro Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.....Sundays we all go to church and hang with our families....maybe actually go to a football game rather than fill in for orange traffic cones.....we are now "little green men" like all the rest....I still love my orange coat, faded to peach. MSP traffic on Rt. 1 like before, Foxboro on the inside. Really can't argue with that. Past practice.
Again, jurisdiction is DEFINED but due to lack of manpower because of funding we have not been able to respond to all the calls for sevice on certain state roads such as Rte 1, 28, 153 and others to many to mention. Local depts. have had to help police these roads. If that is the case, the work should be shared. My point is that there are clearly defined roads that are municipal. There are also defined roads that are state. We dont answer calls for service on MUNICIPAL roads, so there is no expectation for work, even though if there is an unfilled detail, we will not be considered. On state roads that we patrol, we will call the local dept. if it goes unfilled before anyone else. I am not greedy. I just call it as I see it.

A very important presidential endorsement is coming up. Hmmm

If you're referring to SPAM, you're way off. The President has been on the hill constantly and they have done their thing...but this was going to happen regardless. I think the "Roll Call Vote" shouldn't be allowed in the Legislature. We elect officials based on their platforms or voting records. How can they just hide a critical vote like this?
Of course they don't want us to know.For some, it is political suicide. The Democrats have gotten rather overconfident as of late. They figure the public sentiment is pro Democrat because of the stellar job Bush and the Republicans have done and they are pushing their weight around. Deval also needs to hang his hat on something and what better than to be known as the Gov. who took on the police unions and won.

This whole situation is based on wrong dollar figures, jaded perceptions and false pretenses.

The only saving grace I can think of is that nothing in the draft regulations/guidelines will cause Verizon, N*Star, Keyspan, National Grid or any other public/private utility company to stop hiring us on their jobs.

Don't count on it!

As I said before, they don't care. For the media this is all about punishing the police (for what I have no idea) and for the politicians it's all about creating new patronage jobs.

As I also stated before, the sheeple had better be really careful what they wish for. For instance, how many $1,000 citations for non-marked commerical vehicles could a proactive officer hand out in one shift?

Forget private sector, take a look at some of the salaries at UMass;

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/payroll/massachusetts/2007_earnings.DESC/UMS/
But here is the million dollar question.... are we going to put our money where our mouth is??? Or are we going to get all fired up at first and then fizzle out as trime goes on???

See all the fu@@men on Rte 9 up there in God's country???

Got my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Palin isn't too bad on the eyes either.

Sir copalot and oneoutofmany are the poster boys for the divide and conquer cospiracy!!!!!!!!!

Another d-bag reporter trying to make a name for herself. Too bad she's so dumb and can't come up with any current dirt on us. She's probably bangin' someone in high places because her dumb ass should be FIRED!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.