·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published: August 29, 2008 11:52 pm ShareThisPrintThis
Police catch suspected billboard tagger
By Ethan Forman
Staff writer

BEVERLY - The day after vandals used black spray paint to mark 14 Beverly homes, a Montserrat College of Art junior found himself facing charges for allegedly tagging a billboard on top of Rowand's fish market.
"There is no connection mentioned" in the police report, Lt. Tim Hegarty said of the two incidents.
Clay Spencer Troxler, 20, of 22 Bridge St., Salem, was arrested early yesterday morning and charged with tagging property.
At 1:13 a.m., four men witnessed Troxler spraying "53KT" on the billboard above the fish market at the foot of the Beverly-Salem bridge.
In Salem District Court before Judge Robert Cornetta, Troxler, who has no prior record, did not dispute the police report.
But Cornetta was curious as to what "53KT" meant.
"You make up a name and you just write on stuff?" Troxler said, saying the numbers and letters had no real meaning. "I don't know, you just make up stuff."
Cornetta asked if Troxler's "moniker" was 53KT.
"It was," Troxler said.
Cornetta told Troxler he hoped he would retire his tag, then asked him what kind of billboard he was scribbling on.
"I don't know. I didn't read it."
"You just felt it needed some improvement," Cornetta said.
When the judge found out where Troxler went to school, Cornetta said, "Why did I guess that?"
Cornetta suggested Troxler pay $500 in court costs and treat the matter under the city ordinance to avoid a trial.
If convicted, Troxler faces no more than two years in jail and a $1,500 fine plus restitution, Cornetta said.
A restitution hearing was scheduled for Sept. 30, in part to figure out the amount in damages to the billboard.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts