Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published: September 06, 2008 05:40 am ShareThisPrintThis
Police: Beverly chief teaches tailgater a lesson

BEVERLY - Beginner driving lessons: Don't tailgate. Don't tailgate the police chief. And don't offer obscene gestures to the police chief after he pulls over to let you pass by.
Beverly police said that's exactly what Robert Cardavelli did on Thursday while apparently becoming impatient in lunchtime traffic. Chief Mark Ray reported he was driving along Elliott Street when Cardavelli started tailgating his unmarked cruiser. He nearly hit him when Ray stopped for other cars, the chief said.
Ray said he tried to cooperate. "I pulled to the side and allowed (Cardavelli) to pass. Operator made an obscene gesture when passing," he wrote in his report on the incident.
It was then that Ray decided to let his identity be known.
Cardavelli, 24, of 254 Albion St., Wakefield, was cited for following too closely after the chief pulled him over near Opal Avenue at 12:17 p.m.
Ray reported he'd given Cardavelli a verbal warning for not wearing a seat belt. No citations were made for the obscene gesture.
- Mike Stucka

G

·
Unmarked, but that close, he had to have seen something to tip him off that it was a cruiser....

Precious, just freakin' precious!
Many people are totally clueless; I've had rockheads do stupid shit right in front of me while I'm driving a fully marked cruiser.

G

·
Phuzz, I thought the same thing..."Gotta tell the local paper about this !!!!"....but why ???
Because some chiefs think they're so special, when they do something their officers do every minute of every day it's somehow interesting, amusing, or newsworthy.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Hes a new Chief, the Dept. has had a few pretty damaging incidents in the last 5 yrs, only one while he was Chief but hes changing the Dept for the better and doing alot of great things to repair the reputation....I think he was just sending a message that that kind of driving is not acceptable in Beverly. Hes a really squared away guy, 22 yrs on the Dept, he was a Garrison Commander in Iraq at the Abu Ghraib prison, in charge of the Security, he was awarded a Bronze Star....and definately is well respected in the Dept...I think hes just used to doing the right thing...

G

·
Hes a new Chief, the Dept. has had a few pretty damaging incidents in the last 5 yrs, only one while he was Chief but hes changing the Dept for the better and doing alot of great things to repair the reputation....I think he was just sending a message that that kind of driving is not acceptable in Beverly. Hes a really squared away guy, 22 yrs on the Dept, he was a Garrison Commander in Iraq at the Abu Ghraib prison, in charge of the Security, he was awarded a Bronze Star....and definately is well respected in the Dept...I think hes just used to doing the right thing...
If he wants to really be respected by his officers, he should start issuing press releases when THEY do something he thinks is newsworthy instead of himself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts