Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Members of Rhode Island's organized crime are arrested on racketeering-related charges.

By Jim Taricani
Investigative Reporter
Published: November 17, 2008

SCITUATE, R.I. - NBC 10's I-Team has learned that long-time mob enforcer Gerald Tillinghast has been arrested by state police on a variety of racketeering and conspiracy charges.
NBC 10's Jim Taricani reports that with the help of Massachusetts State Police, the Rhode Island State Police have made a series of arrests of associates of the Patriarca Crime Family.
A number of mob associates are in custody, including a long-time enforcer for the late mob boss Raymond L.S. Patriarca. Gerald Tillinghast and a number of other mob associates have been rounded up on a variety of charges.
They are being charged under the state RICO statue.
Tillinghast has a long history of mob work. He has served more than 20 years in prison on murder and other charges.
In the 1970s Gerald Tillinghast murdered George Basmajian, by shooting him in the head in a car in Warwick. The new charges involve drugs and other illegal activity.
Rhode Island State Police are holding a news conference at 1 p.m. and are expected to release further details.
Sources say me that this organized crime bust is very significant and it will send shock waves through the mob in Rhode Island.
Jim Taricani will attend the press conference this afternoon and will have the details of what happened on NBC 10 and turnto10.com.

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/local/article/state_police_make_mob_arrests/7370/

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
EAST PROVIDENCE - Just after 1 p.m. today State Police officials began digging a large hole in the area behind Lisboa Apartments, located at 378 Bullocks Point Ave. in Riverside, on suspicion that a victim of a mob hit from more than 30 years ago may be buried in the area.
The dig comes on the heels of an investigation by State Police that culminated Monday in the arrest of more than a dozen men, some of which are believed to be members of the notorious Patriarca Organized Crime family, based in Providence.
One of these men is Nicholas “Nicky” Pari, 71, of 4 Eben St., North Providence. Mr. Pari, along with fellow alleged mobster Andy Merola, were both convicted of murdering Joseph “Joe Onions” Scanlon in April of 1978. Though this decision was later overturned in Rhode Island Supreme Court, Mr. Pari agreed to a plea deal in 1982 to a lesser charge of manslaughter and received a seven-year prison sentence with 13 year suspended.
Following his arrest Monday, however, police officials believe the body of Mr. Scanlon could be located in Riverside.
As of 4:30 p.m. Monday, police had yet to find any remains.
Neighbors on hand said they were surprised, though not unsettled, by a body being discovered right next to their backyard.
“I think it’s kind of cool, actually,” said Angela Raposo of 21 Providence Ave. “A mob hit, here in Riverside. I mean, it’s cool right now because it’s been like 30 years.”
“I was walking with my daughter to school earlier today when we saw all the police,” said Sharon Gardner of 26 Providence Ave. “She said ‘what do you think they’re doing?’ and I said I don’t know. Maybe they’re looking for a body.”

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Item found at site of state police dig

By Jim Taricani
Investigative Reporter
Published: November 19, 2008

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I.-The I-Team reported that state police said Wednesday they have a found a small package that could be the remains of Joseph "Joe Onions" Scanlon, the victim of a Mob killing 30 years ago.
State police said a medical examiner is on the way to the scene in East Providence.
Police have been digging in an area off Bullocks Point Avenue for the past two days following the arrest of Nicholas Pari, who was one of two mobsters responsible for the death of Scanlon.
Stay with NBC 10 News and turnto10.com for continuing coverage. Refresh this page for updates.

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/i_team/article/i_team_item_found_at_site_of_state_police_dig/7465/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts