·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police arrest fugitive on 11 warrants

By Wendall Waters / [email protected]

Wed Jul 23, 2008, 04:54 PM EDT

Ipswich -
On Tuesday, July 22 at approximately 6:45 p.m., Ipswich Police and Deputy Sheriffs from the Warrant Apprehension Unit of the Middlesex County Sheriffs Department arrested John J Butler, 23, of 22 Lafayette Road, on 11 outstanding warrants throughout the state.
Butler, formerly of Wakefield, is wanted on charges ranging from nighttime breaking and entering to possession of firearms without a license and assault with a dangerous weapon. Ipswich Police have additionally charged him with disturbing the peace and resisting arrest.
Lt. Dan Moriarty said officers observed Butler, who has been on the run for four years, walking a pit bull dog near the Ipswich train station. When they approached, the suspect ran off and a foot chase took place through the neighborhood. When he was caught, Butler struggled with the arresting officers but he was eventually brought into custody.
Butler was arraigned today in District Court in Newburyport on the Ipswich charges and is due back in court Aug. 21. In this case, he was released on personal reconnaissance. However, he is being held in the Middleton Correction Facility because of the charges he faces in the other 11 cases. In Newburyport, for instance, he was wanted on charges that include causing serious injury while operating under the influence and leaving the scene of personal injury, stemming from a 2006 incident. In this case alone, he is being held on $25,000 cash bail.
Patrolman Ted Gallivan, Sgt. Judd Daly and Patrolman Jason Sinclair, along with members of the Middlesex Sheriffs Department, made the arrest.

·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Police arrest fugitive on 11 warrants

By Wendall Waters / [email protected]

Wed Jul 23, 2008, 04:54 PM EDT

Ipswich -
On Tuesday, July 22 at approximately 6:45 p.m., Ipswich Police and Deputy Sheriffs from the Warrant Apprehension Unit of the Middlesex County Sheriffs Department arrested John J Butler, 23, of 22 Lafayette Road, on 11 outstanding warrants throughout the state.
Butler, formerly of Wakefield, is wanted on charges ranging from nighttime breaking and entering to possession of firearms without a license and assault with a dangerous weapon. Ipswich Police have additionally charged him with disturbing the peace and resisting arrest.
Lt. Dan Moriarty said officers observed Butler, who has been on the run for four years, walking a pit bull dog near the Ipswich train station. When they approached, the suspect ran off and a foot chase took place through the neighborhood. When he was caught, Butler struggled with the arresting officers but he was eventually brought into custody.
Butler was arraigned today in District Court in Newburyport on the Ipswich charges and is due back in court Aug. 21. In this case, he was released on personal reconnaissance. However, he is being held in the Middleton Correction Facility because of the charges he faces in the other 11 cases. In Newburyport, for instance, he was wanted on charges that include causing serious injury while operating under the influence and leaving the scene of personal injury, stemming from a 2006 incident. In this case alone, he is being held on $25,000 cash bail.
Patrolman Ted Gallivan, Sgt. Judd Daly and Patrolman Jason Sinclair, along with members of the Middlesex Sheriffs Department, made the arrest.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
It is when the sheriff issues a press release.
Was the Middlesex Marine Unit able to put a landing force ashore in close proximity to the train Station?
:confused:

·
2,297 Posts
It is when the sheriff issues a press release.
What a dork. If Springfield or Worcester PD called the paper everytime they made a warrant pinch, there wouldn't be room for ads. VFAS is locking up murderers, drug traffickers, child molesters and home invaders every day...I guess they need the Sheriff's publicist.

If the Chief of that PD had any b*lls, he would tell the Sheriff where to shove his "Warrant Apprehension Squad". The only apprehension going on is the sh*tty feeling the real cops get when they have to hit a house with the hack squad.

Years back, the Sheriff of a western county tried to force his "warrant squad" dipsh*ts on the VFAS team. He sat in the DA's office and had the DA call and try to influence the MSP. A Lt in the unit (now retired) told him where he could shove his deputies. Result? No deputies.

G

·
What a dork. If Springfield or Worcester PD called the paper everytime they made a warrant pinch, there wouldn't be room for ads.
In-state warrant arrests are so inconsequential, it's the only time we don't have to write a report for handcuffing someone. Even when we PC one of the frequent flyer homeless we've all dealt with a million times, we have to write. Not on warrants....sign the return of service and we're done with it. And no press releases unless the guy was on AMW recently.

·
2,297 Posts
In-state warrant arrests are so inconsequential, it's the only time we don't have to write a report for handcuffing someone. Even when we PC one of the frequent flyer homeless we've all dealt with a million times, we have to write. Not on warrants....sign the return of service and we're done with it. And no press releases unless the guy was on AMW recently.
Don't get me wrong; a warrant pinch is a great arrest. You are getting an idiot off the streets. If the warrant is a serious offense, the sh*thead now has to go to court and answer to his charges. If a cop grabs a dirtbag on a WMS for OUI (esp 2nd, 3rd, 4th), A&B DW, Dist of 94C, etc...then that's great. Not to mention that whether you serve the warrant or get them in a vehicle, you usually end up with something else to go with it.

VFAS is out there every day, and the number of serious felons they corral is staggering. They are experienced, trained and very effective. They work closely and are partnered up with Fugitive Unit guys from the local PD's.

For the Sheriff to display his Idiot Squad like they are something special is ridiculous. I have spoken to members of fugitive teams, and the SD guys they have seen are scary. Zero training, no discipline. Guns out, wildly waving around. Lasering everybody in sight, other cops, civilians, whatever.

They are not cops, do not have police training or experience and therefore should not be in that line of work. Warrant service is dangerous business and those clowns should not be doing it.

G

·
For the Sheriff to display his Idiot Squad like they are something special is ridiculous. I have spoken to members of fugitive teams, and the SD guys they have seen are scary. Zero training, no discipline. Guns out, wildly waving around. Lasering everybody in sight, other cops, civilians, whatever.

They are not cops, do not have police training or experience and therefore should not be in that line of work. Warrant service is dangerous business and those clowns should not be doing it.
Well, at least the sheriffs have some (albeit inadequate) training. The only reason why teams of constables (with no training whatsoever) aren't out there kicking in doors on criminal warrants is because they don't have access to CORI and there's no money in it.

Gotta love this state. :rolleyes:

·
2,297 Posts
Well, at least the sheriffs have some (albeit inadequate) training. The only reason why teams of constables (with no training whatsoever) aren't out there kicking in doors on criminal warrants is because they don't have access to CORI and there's no money in it.

Gotta love this state. :rolleyes:
Who trains them? By training I don't mean some bullsh*t course taught by another tool of a deputy that never did the job, either.

I mean real training given by real cops, guys with actual experience in fugitive location.

G

·
Who trains them? By training I don't mean some bullsh*t course taught by another tool of a deputy that never did the job, either.

I mean real training given by real cops, guys with actual experience in fugitive location.
Perhaps you're right; sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

·
2,297 Posts
One of the differences between VFAS and the Sherrif's office of your choice serving a warrant is that VFAS isn't screaming "Look at me! Look at me!" when they do thier jobs.
Sometimes I ask those guys how many they arrested and as casual as can be they answer usually 6 or more. When I see what they were wanted for...attempted murder, rape, home invasion etc.

Not to mention the guns those guys are pulling out of houses. Dangerous stuff and certainly not safe for Waldo, the Sheriff's retarded cousin's kid who is magically made into a Captain and put on the "Warrant Unit".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts