·
Subscribing Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published: August 23, 2008 05:45 am ShareThisPrintThis
Police arrest driver after witness follows him
By Mike Stucka
Staff Writer

SALEM - Police say a concerned citizen tailed an alleged drunken driver for several miles until they could catch up with him on Thursday night.
The witness told police that a driver, later identified as Edward Crowley Jr., had blown through the stop sign at Derby and Congress streets and then ran over a traffic island, turned onto Ward Street, then drove on the wrong side of Lafayette Street.
The witness said the driver turned again and was all over Loring Avenue, then turned onto Harrison Avenue, turned around in a Salem State College parking lot and started heading back downtown. He went again onto Lafayette Street, Holly Street and on to Linden street, according to the witness.
"Without being asked, Crowley stated, 'I drank too much. I will leave the vehicle here, I just want to go to bed,'" Patrolmen Brian St. Pierre and Kevin St. Pierre reported.
Instead, Crowley went to a cell at the Salem police station after refusing field sobriety tests and a breath test.
Crowley, 46, of 18 Ward St., Salem, was arrested and charged with drunken driving, two counts of marked lanes violation and a stop sign violation. He was pulled over at Linden and Laurel streets at 10:11 p.m.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts