Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police Handcuff, Arrest 5-Year-Old Girl
'I Don't Want to Go to Jail,' Says Young Student

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 18) - A 5-year-old girl was arrested, cuffed and put in back of a police cruiser after an outburst at school where she threw books and boxes, kicked a teacher in the shins, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach and drew on the walls.

The students were counting jelly beans as part of a math exercise at Fairmount Park Elementary School when the little girl began acting silly. That's when her teacher took away her jelly beans, outraging the child.

Talk About It

· Chat | Post Messages

Minutes later, the 40-pound girl was in the back of a police cruiser, under arrest for battery. Her hands were bound with plastic ties, her ankles in handcuffs.

"I don't want to go to jail," she said moments after her arrest Monday.

No charges were filed and the girl went home with her mother.

While police say their actions were proper, school officials were not pleased with the outcome.

"We never want to have 5-year-old children arrested," said Michael Bessette, the district's Area III superintendent.

The district's campus police should have been called to help and not local police, he said.

Bessette said campus police routinely deal with children and are trained to calm them in such situations.

Under the district's code of student conduct, students are to be suspended for 10 days and recommended for expulsion for unprovoked attacks, even if they don't result in serious injury. But district spokesman Ron Stone said that rule wouldn't apply to kindergartners.

"She's been appropriately disciplined under the circumstances," he said.

The girl's mother, Inda Akins, said she is consulting an attorney.

"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."

03/18/05 13:45 EST

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure....

I just like the last comment "They set my baby up". How did they set her up, they MADE her act like a psychotic obnoxious kid? I don't think so.

·
1,334 Posts
badogg88";p="60522 said:
The girl's mother, Inda Akins, said she is consulting an attorney.
How about getting a COUNSELOR instead of a LAWYER! Shows where the mothers interests are, some cash. Kid acts unreasonably assaultive and aggressive toward teachers and she is going to file suit instead of punish the snot out of the little misfit. Yeah, thats setting a good example. It's the "my child wouldn't do that" attitude from mom :2up: .

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
I dont blame the teacher for getting the cops involved. I wouldnt risk my job by trying to control the little shit and getting fired for putting my hands on a student.

This appearently is the status quo for parents today. Let there kids do what they want with no control over them and then they bitch when someone steps in and controls the litte shit.

When I was little my kindergaten class went to the Danvers police station. We got a tour of the whole station And they locked each one of us in a cell and said this is what happens when your bad and dont listen to adults. Dont know how effective it was for others but appearently the message sunk in with me, that and my farthers belt.....

As Archie Bunker would say.........Those were the days.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
stm4710 said:
I dont blame the teacher for getting the cops involved. I wouldnt risk my job by trying to control the little shit and getting fired for putting my hands on a student.

This appearently is the status quo for parents today. Let there kids do what they want with no control over them and then they bitch when someone steps in and controls the litte shit.

When I was little my kindergaten class went to the Danvers police station. We got a tour of the whole station And they locked each one of us in a cell and said this is what happens when your bad and dont listen to adults. Dont know how effective it was for others but appearently the message sunk in with me, that and my farthers belt.....

As Archie Bunker would say.........Those were the days.
well thats because we have created a blame free society. Children can due what they want and nothing is their faults. This child(like many others) will be told its not her fault and put on Prozac & coddled. Then her parents will sue and get lots of cash.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
school officials were not pleased with the outcome.
Then don't call us for a 5 year old, call her parents!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Exactly Gil!!

And no charges were made anyway. Basically the Police were just trying to scare this little rugrat straight.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with Gil. If they weren't pleased with the outcome....why were the police called in the first place? Everybody just wants to have someone to blame.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
did you catch that line about calling the campus police instead of the town police. Sounds like some knitwit Admin type trying to control the entire outcome. Obviously the school couldnt handle the kid and had to call the police to handle it. Sounds like the PD handled the situation in a reasonable manner. As far as Mamma Bear complaining they set her kid up give me break. I am sure the teacher isnt losing any sleep that the little darling wont be coming back to that school

G

·
Now, that's what comes of building a socity where we allow just about any behavior from children. The worst mistake we ever makde was to invent the word "adolesent" and then excuse any form of outragous behavior because they're an "adolesent" (although that's not the case here - this kid is just a spoiled brat that needs a good hiding!). Bet Mom is one of those "over protective" types that belives her kid can do no wrong. Wait 'till she's about 16 and taking an ax to Mom's head.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Typical.... I believe this falls under the same catagory as parents calling the cops for their misbehaving brats.. Utter nonsense for even calling the police to handle a 5 y/o student. Typical of the schools nowadays, how about doing their jobs instead of 911.... Grab the brat and put her in the principles office then call mom to pick up the expelled student..

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Deuce";p="63038 said:
Typical.... I believe this falls under the same catagory as parents calling the cops for their misbehaving brats.. Utter nonsense for even calling the police to handle a 5 y/o student. Typical of the schools nowadays, how about doing their jobs instead of 911.... Grab the brat and put her in the principles office then call mom to pick up the expelled student..
I work in a high school, so it's a bit different, but 9 times out of 10 the kids do go straight to the office. But my students, the ADHD/Anger problem kids, don't take that. They swear/hit/etc. We haven't called the cops yet. But in the last week alone about 4 out of 20 of my students have been suspended.

The parenting needs to start at home. These bratty kids go to school and feel they can get away with murder because their parents don't care. We have to give this kids In-School Suspension more times then not, because if we send them home, the parents do NOTHING. Blame the parents, not the schools. We do all we can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.