Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As have many others, I have made numerous applications to different Departments for a position as a full time Police Officer. Of the 50 plus applications I have submitted, I have recieved only a handfull of responses. If any Recruiting Officers or Chiefs read this it would be helpful to those applicants if you could send them a note stating the status of their applications.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Capt Font, You don't indicate whether the departments that you've sent resumes to are actually hiring or not. If they are, then I agree, they should send you some kind of response one way or the other. In my department all resumes are forwarded to me, and quite frankly, I get so many that it would be too time consuming for me to respond to each one that is sent unsolicited. If you send a resume and we are hiring, you'll hear from us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your responses. Some of my applications are unsolicited, but most were for posted positions. Thank you from those of us who lay in waiting.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Originally posted by radiocop:
In my department all resumes are forwarded to me, and quite frankly, I get so many that it would be too time consuming for me to respond to each one that is sent unsolicited. If you send a resume and we are hiring, you'll hear from us.
Sounds reasonable. However, even the college-style "we have your application and you will hear from us again if we need you" postcard would make me happy. And I would imagine that colleges/universities receive MANY more applicants than an average police department.

-Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
true, true...but then again I don't know of too many local PD's with a fully staffed admissions department... ;)

but seriously, even a generic "yes we got your application, and you'll here from us" notice would sufice. At least you would know your app. isn't floating around the postal system somewhere...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Originally posted by Sirk109:
true, true...but then again I don't know of too many local PD's with a fully staffed admissions department... ;)
LOL!!! Excellent point, Sirk!

Another thought: e-mail notifications? Send a preset message to candidates who (optionally) choose to provide their e-mail address, informing them that the department has their application.

If a candidate would rather not give their address out (for whatever reason), they are not notified.

That should be able to be tackled by whoever opens the mail, send one mass e-mail a day to all of the apps received that day.

Just a thought! Hell, if HRD can go on-line, anyone can! :D

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I haven't really applied to all that many jobs since I started at the jail, but a few, including a few from the Mass Listings section of this board. Other than Amherst and Northeastern, I have not received a response from a single department.

It kind of a amazes me, that these departemnts can't just print a standard card, and run them through the printer with a mail merge. A simple, "Thank you, we received your application", would be nice. I know staffing is short, but common courtesy would be nice. :rolleyes:

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
Along the same lines, I'd like to get on a department in the Merrimack Valley. I will be completeing the MCJTC academy in 3 weeks. Should I send out Resumes to the Non-Civil Service towns in my area or call first to see if they have a reserve spot open? I'd even take a dispatching job.
The job I have right now is getting old (15 years w/ same company) and it has nothing to do with LE,except when I catch a shoplifter ( A bigger P.I.T.A. then its worth).

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
I had a similar expirence, I was going through the process for a town earlier this year. In Feb/Mar I met with my background investigator then I herd ABSOLUTLY nothing till Last week (June 10) about the job. How Irritating is that? I went through the process for 2 other jobs and received an offer for one of them (Which I turned down).

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
In all honesy, the hardest part of Emerson is just getting out of bed and coming into work. Slam on it all you want "and I slam on it more than anyone" but it hasnt been all that bad for me. I do think that in the future when/IF one of the current Lt's take over the department, it will progress forward. :sl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.