Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how hard is it to get a job as a deputy sheriff. What's the process?

Is there anybody who worked or is currently working as a deputy sheriff for plymouth who can give me some pointers.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Welcome to MassCops lapolicia..........I hope you have some thick skin.

Here's your MassCops Tip #1 - Try the search function, it is really quite useful.

Now, where did I put that popcorn...................:cool:

·
Registered
397 Posts
All you need is the Reserve Academy, about $1000 for your own gear, and $5,000 for a political donation, and you'll be up and doing Details in no time! On the water even!

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
lapolicia is either the most ill-informed would be correctional officer \ LE officer this site has ever seen or a poorly veiled troll (my guess).

Either way, don't spend your valuable time answering foolish questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So many Deputies over 300 not much work around unless you like sitting in a hosp watching inmates and doing free stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After you fill out a ginourmous application you then go for an interview where they will then decide if you can join the acedemy. Should you make it in, they will tell you where to purchase your shirts.

Once the acedemy starts get prepared for long nights. I went and it was m-w 6-10 each night. some instructors LOVE to get out early and others LOVE to stay right up til 10. oh and here's the clincher...no coffee or caffinated beverages allowed in class. water only.

Also you will have saturday classes as well.
Oh and get prepared for Defensive Tactics class on saturday morning. that is the most fun, you learn how to kick ass...sorta. and at the end of it all you get sprayed with OC and take a test.

All in all it's not THAT hard, just study and you'll do fine. Oh,and don't show up late.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After all that you can do your free time and if your lucky watch an inmate at a hosp or maybe a road job, now far and few!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are better off getting sponsored by a local department to go through the academy. If you go through the sherrifs academy it's alot more BS and you have less of a chance of getting details, whereas with a local department you typically can get much more details and alot of times they supply you with gear, unlke the sherrifs dept.

Just a thought, but I know if I had been sponsored by a local dept and not by the sheriffs dept I would be workin by now....instead i'm still saving for gear. sucks.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Does the Plymouth County Sheriff's Office make you pay back any % of your detail pay as an admin fee?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Plymouth County charges 10% for an admin fee, the kicker is if you work a job for a town and the town pays you direct Ply Cnty sends you a bill for 10% of whatever you made. So you pay taxes on the detail and admin on top of that!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You get sent a bill for all your details in Bristol..... sometimes charge you for 8hrs when you only worked 4hrs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts