Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Chapter 90: Section 19K Hitching Mechanism

[ Text of section added by 2004, 149, Sec. 142 effective July 1, 2004. See 2004, 149, Sec. 428.]

Section 19K. For the purposes of this section, the term "hitching mechanism'' shall be defined as the lift cylinder and the lift arm. Nothing in this section shall apply to state, county or municipally owned or operated vehicles. Between May 15 and October 15 of each year, any vehicle with a gross weight of less than 26,000 pounds which is equipped with a plow shall be required to have removed the plow and hitching mechanism used with the plow. Vehicles equipped with an apparatus that allows the hitching mechanism to be folded flat leaving no protruding surfaces, shall only be required to have the plow itself removed; if the hitching mechanism is in the folded flat position while the vehicle is in operation. If snowfall occurs before October 25 or after May 15 vehicles subject to this act may be re-equipped with the plow and any apparatus necessary for clearing snow. Vehicles shall be required to abide by this section within 72 hours of the conclusion of snowfall.

Any individual found operating a motor vehicle in violation of this section shall be issued a warning for the first offense, shall be fined $250 for the second offense and $500 and revocation of the vehicle's registration for the third offense. The revocation of a vehicle's registration due to a third offense shall remain in effect until the time as the vehicle is in compliance with this section
. This section shall not apply to hitching mechanisms which are permanently affixed through welding or other means, before the effective date of this section. However, it shall be unlawful, and punishable by the fines and revocations, for any person to permanently affix through welding or other means a hitching mechanism governed under this section after the effective date of this section.

The registry of motor vehicles shall, within 180 calendar days of the effective date of this act, develop a list of makes and models of hitching mechanisms that fold flat leaving no protruding surfaces. The registry of motor vehicles shall promulgate and implement regulations governing a system of verification whereby the registry of motor vehicles can ensure a motor vehicle's compliance with this section following a third offense".

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
>26,000lbs is awfuly big anyways, but interesting find. I guess when I plow my way through Lower Deck traffic, it'll only have to be due to my crazy wild driving, not literaly....

·
Registered
156 Posts
USMC, I'm having a little trouble visualizing the ones you are talking about. I can understand the law a bit about removing the cylinder and lift arm.... seems along the same lines as not driving a hitch in your trailer reciever. Could be an extra harm to another vehicle in an accident.

I looked this up in my fairly new chapter 90 book and I only have up to 90/19E... I was wondering if having the hitch installed w/out a trailer was in the same section. I know when doing a state inpection the person should be turned away until they remove the hitch from their reciever. Alot of people just let them rust in,

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
As far as the trailer hitch it only needs to be removed if it is blocking the vision of the lic.
plate.
In most cases it is the ball that would be in the way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
kwflatbed";p="66877 said:
As far as the trailer hitch it only needs to be removed if it is blocking the vision of the lic.
plate.
In most cases it is the ball that would be in the way.
On the inspection side, it's considered pertruding metal that doesn't belong there. I'm talking the hitches that slide in the reciever, not the ball on the bumper. I figured if you aren't supposed to inspect the vehicle, there had to be some law out there on it. Anyone know it?
I'll try to do some more searching.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
There is nothing on the inspection side that covers
it.
The only thing with pertruding metal would be if there would be something with jagged edges,
body rot, accident damage, etc. that would harm or endanger someone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
kwflatbed";p="66883 said:
There is nothing on the inspection side that covers
it.
The only thing with pertruding metal would be if there would be something with jagged edges,
body rot, accident damage, etc. that would harm or endanger someone.
Not trying to quibble but.....
According to the Agbar course that I took to get my state inspector license there is. They said the only time the hitch should be in the receiver is if there is a trailer attached. If the person can't remove the hitch or shows up with a trailer they are to receive a turnaway document that says they can't have the vehicle inspected until it is corrected. I'm not making it up, I'm going be my instruction and training.

On the road there isn't much of a sensible reason why someone should be driving around with a hitch protruding 10in away from the body of the vehicle. If I find a cite for it, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question is, Do we cite as a CMVI for this offense by running a KQ first, or is a warning from the police recorded in the department computer ok?

"Any individual found operating a motor vehicle in violation of this section shall be issued a warning for the first offense, shall be fined $250 for the second offense and $500 and revocation of the vehicle's registration for the third offense"

Or can we cite for the full 500 then let the courts cut it down. Or is is a Criminal App. and the courts fine the operator

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not following the problem. Does the question have to do with a snowplow hookup or for a trailer hitch??

Sorry if i am a little confused!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plow Hitches/Trailer hitches

I think they are trying to solve 2 problems,the plow hitch on the older models where just one big hunk of metal that would do some serious damage if they struck a pedestrian or t-boned a another vehicle or a one-way ticket 6ft under if you are a motorcycle rider,As for the trailer hitch,I think most people leave them on so other vehicles don't hit there bumper when parking.I seen a person walking behind a pick-up w/ a hitch and wham-O .....he struck his lower leg into the hitch...AAAaaaarrrr......I would say use caution at trailer park's..good luck
cjmajor said:
I am not following the problem. Does the question have to do with a snowplow hookup or for a trailer hitch??

Sorry if i am a little confused!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the clarifactation ADAM 12. I agree 100% with citing a person who has a random trailer hitch hanging off of the vehicle. Regarding the plow hitches i do not think that it would be fair for citing a person with a plow setup that can not be removed. If people are giving out tickets for snow plow hitches that are not the most technologially advanced systems should not take it out on the owner but with the company that produced them. Am i wrong or am i just rambling on about nothing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts