Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

I spoke to a chief of police and he has agreed to sign my paperwork so that I may go through the academy.....BUT.......What do I do in regards to a police cruiser for a week and a shotgun? Any info :-k will help

G

·
A couple guys I know from Wackenhut of all places self sponsored themselves about 10 years back and had the same problem as you.

It was solved by renting a Mercury Marquis for the week! I bet the rental place was pissed when they saw the way the tires were feathered! They told me it made quite a thumping noise all the way back to the rental place with all the bald spots on the tires.

As for the shotgun, don't you know of anyone in LE who has a private one that can be lent to you? Any local PD's willing to lend you one at all for training purposes? We've lent ours several times before.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
I wonder what Police Corps did with the EVOC cruisers that they had, two plane jane CV's with basic blue strobes and a siren. My understanding that they where strictly EVOC vehicles.

We had a guy in the 41st MPOC that was self sponsored and he just jumped it with other departments throughout the week. We where swapping cars like baseball cards. The shotgun shouldn't be a problem though you might need to buy your own ammo. I am sure you can relay with someone when they are not shooting.

Those are really minor setbacks that can be dealt with once you ar in the academy.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gil,

I was unaware that I could use others cars and shotguns. You make a good point they are minor. I just want to make sure I have all these things understood in my mind so that I can focus on the big picture. :yes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shawn...

Like Gil said, don't worry about getting the cruiser. We had nine sponsored recruits in our class and most of them didn't have cars. The academies will allow three recruits per unit and we had a couple single recruit towns. It worked out pretty well for those guys. Also, some departments let their sponsored recruits take a department cruiser. They just had to prove that they had insurance on another vehicle.

If you go, good luck! You will have a blast. The 22 weeks may seem like a long time, but when you walk across the stage with your certificate, you'll look back and wonder where the time went.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
I saw a couple of basic white CVs at the Weymouth Academy a couple of weeks ago, maybe those are the Police Corps ones

·
Registered
186 Posts
I went through EVOC training 2 weeks ago with the State Police in Ayer MA, and they had like 4-5 extra cars of there own that they let guys use, so if the State Police does your EVOC training then you should be OK. Good luck in the Academy and like the other guys said, its a good time, jus t keep your mouth shut and don't be that one class Ass that gets every one else in a world of Sh*t and you'll do fine.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I sent my self through the academy. The police chief at the time said that he wouldn't supply anything, cruiser, shotgun, nothing. I was kind of worried what would happen. I know that in the packet you get from the academy it says no borrowing of cruisers. Just make friends in the academy. I hopped in cruisers with other guys from other depts. Some chiefs give their recruits strict instructions not to let anyone else drive, liability I guess. Just makes some friends and hop in with someone else. I had no problem. Weymouth does have a couple old SP cruisers there that they sometimes use, if they run. As for the shot gun, last I knew the training council doesn't even do shot gun qualifying in the academy, just the hand gun. I never had to bring one. They do a basic overview of the shot gun, but we were never required to bring one. My buddy just graduated from Boylston in March and they didn't get certified in the shot gun and weren't required to bring one. When I was in the academy they told me that they leave it up to individual depts to certify their officers in the shot gun, they said that every dept doesnt always have a shot gun in each cruiser so they leave it up to the dept.

Good luck

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gpd11

thanks for the info.......How long did it take for you to get on a department?

Civil Service/Non-Civil?

thanks
shawn

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
GPD11 said:
As for the shot gun, last I knew the training council doesn't even do shot gun qualifying in the academy, just the hand gun. I never had to bring one. They do a basic overview of the shot gun, but we were never required to bring one. My buddy just graduated from Boylston in March and they didn't get certified in the shot gun and weren't required to bring one. When I was in the academy they told me that they leave it up to individual depts to certify their officers in the shot gun, they said that every dept doesn't always have a shot gun in each cruiser so they leave it up to the dept.

Good luck
We went through the shotgun course but it was just for our own benefit GPD is correct that MCJTC will not certify you in the shotgun. Thus they should not require you to bring one for range week.

·
Registered
221 Posts
shawnr76 - From the time I got out of the academy it was about a year before I got on FT. Civil service dept. I was already PT, so I slid right in on the next position b/c I was already FT academy trained.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Yes they do certify you. I had to bring a shotgun and we did certify and I can tell you it was not optional.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, as far as the cruiser goes most people bring enough cruisers that you could jump in and share with them. I also know that we used some of the state police cruisers that they had on the EVOC course. I know that for the shotguns we used other depts because my dept. didn't send one in. so don't worry.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Macop said:
Yes they do certify you. I had to bring a shotgun and we did certify and I can tell you it was not optional.
I attended the Weymouth academy in 2001, for firearms we were only required to have our duty sidearm in which we got qualified in. They told us that we were not required to bring a shot gun as they were not certifying us in the shot gun. They did what they called an "overview" of the shotgun. No one in my academy used or brought a shotgun. Lt. Wicks the firearms instructor said that the MCJTC no longer certifies officers in the use of the shot gun as they leave it up to individual departments to certify their officers. Three of the new officers on my department attended the Boylston academy last year and weren't required to bring a shotgun, nor did they qualify on it in the academy. They were certified after they got out of the academy by the dept firearms instructor.

Maybe that has changed since, I don't know.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just graduate from the academy :punk: and we were told to bring the shotgun so that we can get familiar with it. That is would be up to your dept. to certify you in the shotgun. Not everyone in the class brought one or even shot it.
Good luck. :eek:nfire: :jump:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guya/gals for all the info.....One thing though....I notice everyone talking about duty firearm...If I am self sponsoring is it ok to bring in a .45 Sig P220? Reason I ask is because the department I hope to get on in the future uses the .45 and I figured that is what I should buy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I am not mistaken, as a self-sponsor, you can use whatever firearm you want, and at the end of the academy you'll be qualified with that weapon. If you get hired by that department you mentioned, they will most likely have you qualify again, so they can cover their ass for liability issues.

Good luck, Stay Safe.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I went to the Agawam academy in 02 and like I said it was mandatory for shotgun qualification. But hey who knows.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Question for municipal police officers....

On the application for the FT municipal police academy, (Basic recruit training) there is a box that reads;

Sponsoring department LEAPS Code..

Now the entire app. is filled out and the chief who is sponsoring me signed it. He didn't put in the leaps code. Which is the only thing I don't know since I am not working for the department that is sponsoring me. So I called and asked for the leaps code but the chief said he is not familiar with that "term". He also said he would call MCJTC and sort it out for me, so no problem. What I don't understand is how can't he know what I am talking about? Am I missing something here?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts