Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to find a pill/medication identification reference book, preferably with photos of the medications. Not having much luck online. Anyone have one or know if such a thing even exists? I've found several written for the medical profession, but none for law enforcement. Thanks for any info. Be safe.

·
Registered
533 Posts
there is a ton of drug/ID stuff online. All perscip pills made in us usually have an identifing numer on them, which can be cross refernced in a P.D.R. (physicians desk refrence) or looked up online. Try a google search for drug ID, etc.

I have some sorces through FLETC for drug ID stuff, but most is geared towards the illegal stuff.

Ken

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
2004 Nursing Medication Reference Guide. I'm not sure where you get it from. They put this out every year, and it's pretty comprehensive, with some pictures, but not all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As a registered nurse myself I can tell ya, most medical practitioners use the PDR (PhYsicians Desk Reference). It is the most inclusive drug book you can get and it includes pictures.

If you want photos of commonly used/abused drugs just cruise on down to any drug treatment center or methadone clinics. Once they find out you're not there to arrest one of the clients, I'm sure they will be happy to give you one of their informational drug posters.

G

·
When I seized an unknown prescription medication pill, I'd call the 1-800 number for the poison control center. I'd identify myself, state that it was not an emergency and decribe the pill, i.e color, size, shape, numbers/letters on it. They always gave me a quick and correct answer.

Guinness2429

·
Registered
144 Posts
This site doesn't sell books but has the most comprehensive listing of drugs (all types, not just pills) out there. It will even give you the chemical formulas, pictures, side effects/high effects, and if so inclined how to make/grow the stuff. It is geared toward the user but we can use all of the same info for our work.

www.erowid.org

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good timing - One of our guests had a pill not found in our copy of the drug ID bible, so I called the local CVS. They recommended (as did Guinness) the Poison Control Center (800-682-9211). Told me what I had and the side effects. Total phone time less than 2 minutes.

side note: The pills I had looked similar to a nitro tab (was not) I realized this AFTER I handled it with bare hands, I was lucky this time, make sure you use caution when handling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts