Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
On here several times troopers have mentioned in getting ready for an academy to stay out of trouble, stay financially responsible and build a savings for the academy time, as well as getting or staying in shape. I was wondering if any of the troopers on here had any suggestions for goals to aim for to hit the ground running (literally) for the first few weeks of the academy. Whats a good distance and run time to aim for, or number of pushups or situps? Any suggestions? Also if any of you know what the graduating requirements are I'd be interested in that if you wanted to share. Stay Safe.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I run all the time as it is. I'm wondering if like 5 miles at 8 minute miles is a good enough, how many continuous pushups is acceptable etc.

·
2,297 Posts
GFMTBIKER said:
I run all the time as it is. I'm wondering if like 5 miles at 8 minute miles is a good enough, how many continuous pushups is acceptable etc.
That is very good. As far as pushups, as long as you can do 30-40 in a minute you will do fine. The problem is, when they PT test you, it counts towards your final class standing. Usually the rankings are seperated by tenths or hundreths of a point, so you could be 28th in your class and #26 could be a guy that did one more pushup or got a 97 on a test that you got a 96 on. Prepare your hardest, and you'll have no regrets.

·
2,297 Posts
ryan933 said:
...other than personal pride, are there any benefits linked to class standing?

Ryan
Just about everything. From getting a day off, bidding for vacation, who gets the Senior guy that just retired's cruiser, etc...The biggie is choice of shift every 56 days. You could be stuck on a shift you don't want for years ...

By default if something good is coming, usually they will ask "OK, who's senior".

Also, if something bad has to be done (clean up, media interview, etc...) the first thing said is "Junior man!"

Everybody usually pitches in to get stuff done, but if it's gotta be done and it sucks...Junior man. That means that your classmate, who did one more push up than you and is ranked #30. Well, you are #31 and he gets to stand there and smirk while you speak to the media about the dangers of eating Big Macs and driving.

·
Subscribing Member
233 Posts
I was running 6 to 11 miles a day before starting my RTT. I went in there in great shape and was thankful I did. My class was the largest to date (191 graduated) so it took a few weeks to break everyone down into different running groups (slow, medium, fast, and road guards). This is not to say that the PT starts out easy. Everyone is not at the same level when they enter but the goal is to have them all up to speed when they leave. The person who gets into an RTT and doesn't show up physically prepared is in for a nasty reality slap.

Good luck and work hard.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You're moving with a purpose for 16 hrs a day, so it's not just the PT miles you have to worry about. Train smart, don't risk an injury.

The financial stuff just removes worry while you are at New Braintree, some stuff winds up on the plastic, but you should keep your debt down.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
If you are already runnIng 8 mInute mIles, you're way ahead of most of the underprepared prospectIve traInees. basIc exercIses(no heavy weIght-lIftIng, you'lll most lIkely just lose some muscle at the spa) and carIdo are the most Important because that Is the focus there. just keep runnIng, stretchIng and doIng sIt-ups, push-ups, pull-ups and the lIke and you should do just fIne wIth the pt phase of the spa. a lIttle preparatIon goes a long way.

guInness2429 -- 71strtt

·
Registered
884 Posts
Start out slow with the PT. Don't worry about 5 and 8 miles, but master 3 miles. To master it you must do the 3 mile run in under 18 minutes. Then build yourself up to the high intensity running. If you should fall into a rut with the increased miles, try doing high intensity sprints for 60 seconds and then 60 seconds rest. Do this for 20 minutes a day for a week and you will increase your endurance. Push-ups are a must and many will be needed; however, do not concentrate on the speed of push-ups. Do them slow and many for increased upper body strength. One more thing to remember, no one knows if the 77th is a go :wm: , so don't stress yourself out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
One last word about working out...
Regardless of when the 77th goes, prisons and jails throughout the United States are full of people who are exercising everyday. Don't wait for a start date...

·
Registered
968 Posts
SRRerg said:
One last word about working out...
Regardless of when the 77th goes, prisons and jails throughout the United States are full of people who are exercising everyday. Don't wait for a start date...
Well said SRR,

Another thing which is just as important is the quality of food and rest you give your body. Think of your body as a fine tuned engine....make sure you keep the proper care and use only the best products. I heard an ad once which inspired me to keep on working out hard...it goes like this........
Somewhere out there someone is training harder than you and one day you will meet him in one on one competition and you will lose. Life is short play hard!

Reebok or Nike had this and it made me think, LE can't afford to lose that one on one battle....so I am going to go that much harder.

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info and suggestions. What I was really looking for was numbers to gauge where Im at etc. I find that if I have set ending goals I tend to work harder to get there than if I just set smaller goals. If I set goals such as shaving a minute off my run time for 5 miles by the end of the month I dont work as hard as if I have to do 5 miles in 35 minutes by March. Six minute miles is fast, now I have a new goal to mix in with my others. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
You might want to throw a hill or two into the mix. Once a month go for distance at a slow pace. Longest run in my class was 10miles. If you make the 77th, all I can say is "Wine Road" :roll:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I grew up with Mt Tom in my backyard actually Thimios. How'd you know?
Wierdest thing I ever saw were people hanggliding during the eye of huricane Gloria. I may be a little crazy, but not that crazy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.