Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my department, new performance evaluations for officers were created and will soon be used. There are two sections that are statistical driven: # of arrests and # of motor vehicle stops. These are new sections that will be used for each performance evaluation period.

This gets interesting. Management is taking last years average # of arrests or traffic stops per shift (while considering the time of year) and is using that as a basis to compare and evaluate each officers arrest or traffic stop rate. Your performance evaluation will be based on how close you were to the average of last years rate.

Anyone see a problem with this? :shock: I do not believe that this statistical driven outlook should be part of a performance evaluation. I do not have a problem with arresting people or making traffic stop however I feel that I have to keep a quota in order to get a good evaluation. Does not seem right. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Yeah,

At face value it could be cause for concern. You did mention that stops were one section. How many different sections (traits) total are being evaluated? If Traffic stop percentage is say, one of ten or twelve performance traits being evaluated, it may not mean a lot.
I can see the concern though.
:-k

·
Registered
181 Posts
So if you worked day shift, and now work midnights perhaps your arrest count has tripled w/OUI, domestics, etc. Does that make you a better officer? What if you go from mids to days? Do you have to start locking up the kids fighting when school lets out just to maintain your avg?

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Srreg,

i never noticed the holy grail reference in your signature, but i love it!

but anyways, as far as quotas go, they always make great newspaper headlines.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
It sounds lIke they are placIng a quota on your job performance. from my understandIng quotas are Illegal, and can not be Imposed upon your job duty and performance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is just the thing! stats do not make a better officer. i believe quality over quantity.

to answer your question mpd61, there are a total of 17 different sections . another interesting section is sick time use. how the hell did That get in a performance evaluation?????? i am curious if anyone else has this in their department performance evaluations?

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Although it doesn't receive a score, there is a box for sick time at the top of our evaluations. It is usually left blank, because your sergeant doesn't have the ability to look up that information. I think it's just there to make you look crappy, if someone from outside ever decides to look up your interview for a new job.

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
I too have a problem with quota based performance evaluations. What about officer X who makes let say an OUI arrest, which can take him a good amount of time to process...then comes Officer Y who often makes a quick arrest....lets say for unlicensed operation etc. Officer X makes 1 arrest in a 3 hr. period, but officer Y made 3-4 arrests in the same period. Is one doing a a better job than the other?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.